Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2015
After writing his second book 'Arrazat's Aubergines' he didn't write anything further on the subject of the Languedoc, which is a great pity as he is one of the few authors who knows France and the French, in contrast to those who've bought a property in France, lived there for a year or
two, and who never learned to read, write or speak French.

Patrick Moon is one of a very few authors whose books I will always read, even if they're not about the Languedoc.

Jim
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2003
I thoroughly recommend Patrick Moon's brilliantly written story of an extraordinary year spent in his inherited neglected house in the Languedoc region of France. I enjoyed every minute of it. The varied characters (some likeable, some not so!) really come to life and the story is told with immense wit and humour - it's one of those books that has you laughing out loud.
There is plenty here for the serious wine buffs too, as the author sets about exploring the region to discover, from a variety of local sources, the history and growth of the wine business in the region and how the various wines are produced. I also found that part of it fascinating. It certainly sounds as if he had a jolly time along the way too!
I felt quite sad when December came and the author had to say farewell to all his new friends and others! I really do hope he goes back and we hear more.
on 3 September 2015
Beautifully written with humour and warmth. You can almost taste and smell the wine and the food as you read. A 'must read' for Francophiles everywhere and for everyone who loves or would like to get to love the beautiful part of France that Patrick Moon describes.
on 4 August 2004
I picked up this book in a French book-shop. Reading the reviewing comments on the rear cover prompted me to purchase it, at a cost of 12 euros. Alas if ever there was a case of the journey being far more exciting than the arrival, then this was a case in point, except that the journey never got above the normal pulse rate.
After a slow start it got even slower, most of the characters, Manu, Krystina, Virgil and Madame Gros were not believable. Nobody can possibly be so naive - especially not a lawyer - as the author appeared to be. I detected familiar plots in parts of a rather dull story line. I kept hoping that the author would do something to snap me out of my boredom, I awaited in vain. At the end of two weeks I still had not finished reading it - despite being kept indoors by horrendous weather - preferring travel flyers, brochures etc. Having read a number of books connected to France as seen through the eyes of a British writer, I am usually left with a curiosity for the area written about...on this occasion I was just glad I managed to finish the book, but I did so want to enjoy it.
This is just 'another book on France' but with nothing out of the ordinary to justify its publishing...or price.
on 2 December 2015
Patrick Moon engages with the local community - and notably with young Virgile - as he settles into living in the Languedoc in southern France and encounters the distinctive way of life, and the wines, of the region
on 13 September 2015
Brilliant. So full of colorful descriptions that are also sprinkled with touches of humor. The best book I have ever read about rural France and its wines.
on 23 April 2015
Fabulous read. Very funny with great characters. Read the book originally 8 years ago and more recently read it again and is still as enthralling.
on 5 August 2003
I have have just finished reading VIRGILE'S VINEYARD and I think Patrick Moon has given us a five star book.
I first heard about it on EXCESS BAGGAGE and then one of my friends said they thought I would like it.
I certainly have enjoyed the whole book and found myself understanding far more about that area of France and its wines. I had not realised the wine down there was so well worth trying, so have now started a bit of informed tasting too. I feel I am well on the way to becoming a connoisseur already.
Many thanks
on 23 January 2015
Nice mix of characters, although not sure if they were all real people. Enjoyed the local sightseeing in pursuit of oenological knowledge.
on 1 July 2003
Patrick Moon has written a competent and interesting account of his experience of learning about making quality wine in St Saturnin in the Herault. The book is written as a sort of neo-Peter Mayle account of a year living in his recently-inherited house in an area he hadn't visited for many years. In fact he bought the house in 2000 (according to an interview in the local paper). Leaving aside the interesting and occasionally amusing vignettes of local characters - many of whom are scarcely believable - the account of the process of helping his friend start producing high quality wine in an area once known for large quantities of poor quality wine is detailed, sympathetic and even enthralling. The books is worth reading for this alone.