Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 30 July 2013
A new author to me and this first novel works. A variation on the 'swords and sandals' theme is the 'Irish' background but it doesn't detract from the core theme. Early days but Simon Scarrow has company.
on 9 March 2015
This is the third book of Tim's I have read and I find his way of writing is enthralling and entertaining. With all of Tim's books there is an underlying element of truth which gives his books an interest to those who like to learn about history and also those who just enjoy a good read.
on 4 March 2014
Found this a good story with plenty of action. The writer looks at events from the natives point of view which is unusal for books from this period. Looking forward to the follow up book if there is to be one.
on 28 February 2013
I have no hesitation in recommending this book to lovers of historical fiction. A thoroughly good action yarn which leaves you waiting for a sequel.
on 13 January 2014
I found that the story line had quite a lot to do with Druid influence which was different, this added to the enjoyment. Yes, I really enjoyed this book.
on 2 August 2013
I am always looking for good stories involving Celts, Druids and the might of Rome. The Spear of Crom by Tim Hodkinson meets those requirements and more. The story centers on one Fergus MacAmergin, a Prince of a Hibernian clan who runs afoul of his King and the Druids and is forced into exile. He joins the XIVth Legion as part of an auxiliary unit of cavalry and finds himself sent on a dangerous mission surrounded by those who want him dead. The mission is to retrieve a mysterious and mystical spear said to be by some the mythic weapon of the god Lugh and later of the mighty Celtic warrior Celtchar and by others the spear that pierced Jesus' side as he hung on the Cross. In either case it is valued highly by those who seek to possess it.

The General of the XIVth Legion, Gaius Suetonius Paulinus, is portrayed as an ego driven, power hungry individual, traits that are rampant throughout the Roman aristocratic mindset during that turbulent period of Nero's reign when many sought to be the next Emperor. His agenda is but one of many that the author has injected into his characters. This plethora of plots and emotions are the fuel that feed this many faceted story.

As the story unfolds in all it's intricacies we are treated over and over again to the author's descriptive powers in all manner of ways; battles, scenic imagery, religious ritual, the views of a Roman camp or a Celtic hillfort; the list goes on. The story also presents a variety of religions and the inevitable ways they clash and therefore provide the impetus for much of the agony of not only that time but indeed time immemorial.

The pace of the book is frenetic and I mean that in a good way. You are turning pages to read action upon action interspersed with crucially tense situations. I would put the book down occasionally to catch my breath and ruminate on what I just read.

In summary, if you're looking for a story that transports you to the seething cauldron that is Roman power seeking or to the bitter rivalries between religions or the tribes of Britain then I recommend The Spear of Crom. I give it 4 stars.
on 12 October 2014
The book held me tho it was a bit predictable hence the three star rating but that said I'm sure I'll read the next instalment.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2013
I chose this rating because it compared very favourable with all the well known historical fiction authors I read on a regular basis.
on 15 December 2014
Good tale but in places predictable.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2013
this book was very predictable and not very well written. Of all the roman sagas that I have read this was easily the worst.