on 15 April 2015
This story is based around an overweight somewhat insecure genealogist who manages to get himself involved unwittingly in murder and mayhem. JT has arranged to meet an old colleague in London, and during the conversation he realises that he is being "set up" with a prospective date Prof Jean Summer. The description of their mutual embarrassment is beautifully handled, showing that Robinson can deal with historical detail, action-man antics and genuine emotion. When Marcus Brown is gunned down as they leave the restaurant he leaves JT with a mystery to solve which leads him and Jean, a history professor, to research the House of Stuart as someone seems to think they have a claim to the British throne. Michael Levant, an heir hunter, appears to know something about the hunt but JT doesn't trust his motives, and gradually the reason for this mistrust is developed. The characters of JT and Jean evolve as the hunt proceeds and it looks as though this pairing will work professionally and personally in following stories.
As with any "What If" novel the reader is required to accept an unlikely premise for the action, but once you are prepared to work with the concept of secret messages left by some of the original members of the Royal Society; the "real reasons" behind the accession of George 1st rather than a member of the Stuart line, and a frantic "heir hunt" to track down descendants of those entrusted with the secret, you have an intelligent, well researched, action-packed story that moves apace. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 August 2013
This is my favourite of the Jefferson Tayte books - so far. I liked the skilful way Steve Robinson has mixed fact and fiction, raising questions about the accepted facts of history. Did things happen the way we have always been taught that they did, and were other people at the time aware of a conspiracy which they didn't have the scientific knowledge to prove? What if they left clues for future generations to follow up when that science was available. In some ways it could be described as a bit far-fetched as, in the immortal words of an American Politician - we don't know what we don't know - but in other ways it could be a statement of faith in the future.
One of the things I liked about this book was the way in which the author presented people and events with just enough ambiguity to make us wonder if the people we think of as the good guys, really are the good guys or do they have an ulterior, and sinister, motive? As the book repeats several times - nullius in verba - take no-one's word for it.
I like the combination of genealogy and detective fiction, it works very well - after all what is genealogy but a different form of detective work? Please hurry up and write another one Mr Robinson.
on 26 January 2013
After the last two books, which were also very good, I couldn't wait to read this one. Very different from the first two books as the stories are very different, but still with the great character of Jefferson Tayte.
I was drawn into the story as the author described the places so well as the characters travelled around central London. It was almost like being with them as they travelled through the very streets I knew as a child as it is so well written.
The story is full of excitement and adventure and you don't want to put it down because you can't wait to find out what happens next.
With each book we are getting to know Jefferson Tayte a little bit better, he's really come to life and you start to care about him. I can't wait for the next book to see how his work and personal life progress.
If you like a good read then I thoroughly recommend this and the previous two books.
on 9 April 2013
A slightly different genre with this one from the first two as it delves into royal history and conspiracy theories and also plausible if you use your imagination. But............... Tayte, your gonna have to stop eating all those miniature Hershey's and get some weight off with all that running around you are doing!!!! Great read with a real cliff-hanger ending. Can't wait until the sequel comes out.
on 17 August 2014
I have read the first two of this author's books and really enjoyed them but this one was clearly the best in my opinion. It was extremely well written and there were very interesting characters. The plot kept me guessing until the end and still wanting more. It was a fantastic subject and the amount of research on this must have been huge. Well done Steve - really looking forward to the next one now.
on 24 February 2013
Brilliant, The Last Queen of England is an intelligently written book . Fast paced ,it keeps the reader on the edge of their seat as though watching a movie .The characters come to life so vividly ,the story line intrigued me from the first to last page .The Last Queen of England is portrayed in a way that makes you think ! Enjoyed the plot ,exciting, a brilliant mix of fact and fiction. A book i could not put down as with the previous books by Steve Robinson ,he is up there with the best! He has the flair to make the reader feel and visualize the places the characters are in so well. I am now looking forward to his next book ,i need to know what happens next in Jefferson Tates life . Steve Robinson is such an engaging author . Encore!Encore!
on 10 February 2013
Well what a truly gripping read this was from start to finish. I have read Steve's other two books involving the mystery busting legend that Jefferson Tatyte has become but you do not have to have done to fully enjoy all the twists and turns that this book takes. Warning! It is one of those books that you will not be able to put down until you have finished it! I like the introduction of a rival, I'm sure we will be seeing more of Michel Levant. Towards the end of the book things start to connect back to earlier events in the book but you are kept on tenterhooks until the end, and what and ending and cliffhanger! Can't wait for the next instalment. Brilliant.
on 8 December 2015
When I came across this book and read the synopsis I was eager to read it. I really enjoyed Dan Brown's books and The Rule of Four; Steve Robinson's book seemed to be of the same ilk.

I did read the book in it's entirety, but found it boring, slow and difficult to get my head around. And as for being able to follow the Royal line from Queen Anne to Ethelred the Unready using the first born each time - it's impossible! (Yes, I know we're supposed to suspend belief with fiction books, but the is a stretch too far for me!) For a start Henry VII's father was not King and his mother was not Queen.

I didn't realise until I after I started reading it that there were two books before this one. Lots of other reviewers have said they really enjoyed those books, but not this one. Maybe I'll go back and read them; but then may be I won't.
on 28 January 2013
I wish I could give this book 6 stars! I'm not keen on history and not particularly bothered about genealogy, but I adore a really good thriller..... this is a really good thriller! I enjoyed the other two Jefferson Tayte novels, number 2 more than number 1 and am surprised that 3 could be even better, but it is. This book is set in London rather than Cornwall, which suited the pace of the story. It put me in mind of 'The Davinci Code', but I enjoyed this much more. I found it really difficult to put down as the pace is just right for me and I loved the characters. We get to know JT a little better and I couldn't help thinking that Dame Helen Mirren would make a great ''Jean''. I found the ending satisfying and left me wanting to read the next book. Get busy Mr. Robinson please!!!
on 29 January 2016
For me, this was a total waste of time.
What is the point of the woman?
Why did the ahnentafel not work?
Why is the hero's own entry relevant?
Why did the frog kill the cop?
Why did a murderer get away?
etc, etc,