on 30 April 2014
Having looked forward to this book for months I can't contain my disappointment. Countless woodpeckers, owls, kingfishers, etc. which are all plain white eggs. When the marked eggs (finches, warblers, buntings, etc.) are illustrated there is only one photograph per egg, which can't begin to show the diversity in colouration and markings. Might fit some readers idea of value for money but certainly not mine. Birds Eggs by Michael P. Walters is a far superior book at a far inferior price.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2014
All of us have marvelled at birds’ eggs at some point in our lives – and certainly a few of us have been tempted to collect them at some point! This book takes 600 examples of eggs from the collection in the Field Museum of Chicago and displays them both as life-size photographs and enlarged. This enables the reader to really see the detail on each egg. There is a bias towards species from North America and the Neotropics, although examples are also included from Europe, Africa and Asia. A short text introduces each species, and the egg is also described with measurements. There is also an introductory section which discusses nesting activities and strategies.

The aspect that struck me most from exploring this book was how so many eggs are similar to each other – basically slightly off-white and somewhat dull. However if you get excited about eggs then you will probably enjoy the images.
on 30 September 2014
It is the worst book on birds eggs I have ever read both colouring and information was incorrect I wish I hadn't wasted my money
on 18 October 2014
Just awesome, every now and then I pick it up and marvel and the variations of eggs.
on 18 February 2016
Excellent quality and information about the birds and their eggs.
on 3 March 2016
This us a book that could grace any bookshelf, amazing quality!!
on 22 July 2014