5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting account of a compulsive and devious serial killer
Published on 8 May 2013 by Michael Wells Glueck

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Read
Published 1 month ago by Emilie Curry

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting account of a compulsive and devious serial killer, 8 May 2013
First we watch the villain relieve stress by committing both random and targeted homicides of hospital patients, including many to whom he was not assigned. Then we witness hospitals' efforts to protect their finances against lawsuits and to preserve their reputations take precedence over their obligation to protect patients. We wish we could share our knowledge with police and private detectives attempting to unravel the causes of a burgeoning number of mysterious inpatient deaths. Finally, and most thrillingly, we participate vicariously in the reconstruction of the crimes' methodology by a nurse who recognizes in the villain an echo of an uncle who repeatedly molested her when she was a child unable to convince her parents of the truth of her accusations. In the process we learn about machines called Pyxis and Cerner that infallibly record nurses' drug orders and inpatients' medical histories. I sat in the back yard, activated the audio feature of the Kindle edition, and listened to the pleasant voice of a woman who reads quickly but who reveals her imperfect education and perhaps political preference by pronouncing "résumé" as "resume" and "Iraq" as "Eye-RACK."

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, 30 Sept. 2013
This is a page turner. I was shocked at how long the killings continued, how difficult it was for the police to make a case, how willing hospital administrators were to cover up. We are so dependant on our carers when we are ill and so vulnerable. It highlights the importance of having good checks and balances in systems and workers who are willing to do a good job for the benefit of the patients. It is also a tribute to the two police officers who were relentless in their quest for the truth and in their determination to stop the killer. The other hero was the nurse who assisted the police.

5.0 out of 5 stars I SHOULDN'T HAVE ENJOYED IT, 20 Oct. 2013
This book read more like a novel, making it even more chilling. Extremely well researched and written. Read all night.

5.0 out of 5 stars unbelievable, 17 Sept. 2013
a first rate book, the more you read the more you cannot believe what went on, you will find yourself cringeing at the injustices laid out here and will be thankful for the NHS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally well written, 1 April 2014
This book was so well written, couldn't put it down & disappointed when I finished it. Seems almost unbelievable that there are nurses that are able to move from hospital to hospital with ease and no questions asked about history. The reputation of hospitals appears more important to to management than the safety of patients & many people should feel responsible that a nurse has got away with so many murders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling, 3 Nov. 2013
It amazes me that the laws in America caused the situation to remain unresolved for so long. Also that colleagues seemed to be afraid to blow the whistle.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Nursing Abomination, 12 Jun. 2014
As a retired must nurse I find these stories horrific.Nurses are in a unique position of trust -an intimate daily contact. is established when the patient is at their most vulnerable.Never forget Beverley Allit. The stories must be told.thank you

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Read, 15 April 2015
I usually enjoy this kind of book and was looking forward to reading it based on previous reviews, however I was very disappointed and cannot believe I read the same book! I found it to be very repetitive and poorly written in parts. I was interested in how the perpetrator had obtained the drugs etc but felt that it was very poorly explained and I feel none the wiser as to how he got away with it for so long. The hospital and police investigations had the potential to be fascinating but weren't dealt with in much depth at all. I appreciate that the murders took place over a long time span so there was a lot to cover but the book felt rushed and vague and could have been so much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars true story, 14 Feb. 2014
makes good reading because it is a true story as well not for the faint hearted very good delivery time was very impressed

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good Nurse, 6 Nov. 2013
Really enjoyed this book, so true of what can and does go on not only in the world of the Health Care Industry but all big corporations.

The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness and Murder
The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness and Murder by Charles Graeber (Paperback - 3 July 2014)