5.0 out of 5 stars superb
Just couldn't put this down. What a tragic yet heartwarming story, I really felt as if I were part of the story. Loved it!
Published 6 months ago by pol

3.0 out of 5 stars How to be Good
First of all, let us all put on our English Lit student heads and analyse the title: much easier to do when I tell you that our protagonist is called Hildy Good.

For this is a novel about much more than Hildy Good: it is about what it means to be good. And how our habits become addictions (in this case, alcoholism), and how those addictions impact on not just...
Published 8 months ago by Amy Pirt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 19 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Perceptive storytelling!, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Good House (Kindle Edition)
I think many people could so relate to much of what transpires in this book. The main character, a real estate agent in her 50's, was so human, so funny, so touching at times that I felt myself really empathising with her life, possibly because I am much the same age although not a 'closet' alcoholic! Hildy's doubts and fears were recognisable and her strained relationship with her daughters due to her secret drinking were very real.
There were several places where I laughed out loud at Hildy; one such moment was getting into a boat with her lover where she tried desperately to look as nimble as a 20 year old!
Ann Leary clearly understands her subject and although this was the first book I have read by this author, I will definitely be reading more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Good House (Paperback)
I read about this book in a newspaper article and the subject appealed to me. I read it over a weekend which is unusual for me.

Although I found it hard to believe her total blackout moments where she has no memory of going out, believing she had simply gone to bed, I did understand her confusion.

This is the sort of story that might ring a bell with people worried about their secret alcohol consumption but might have little in it to interest those who rarely drink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant novel, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Good House (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this excellent book. I was unable to put it down and as I was on holiday devoured it in a day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well written and consistently intriguing, 20 Oct 2013
Brian Hollywood (Highgate, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good House (Kindle Edition)
The good house? The good read. Believable characters and dilemmas, very convincing portrayal of a problem drinker. Great tenderness and tragedy, humour and humanity. Turned every page with a heightening sense of expectation. Some very fine writing and great evocation of a place.

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'Good' book, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Good House (Kindle Edition)
It did take me a while to get into the book, however, after a few chapters I had really taken to the characters and as the story progressed became enthralled with what was happening and wanted to carry on reading to the end. I found it very easy to become gripped by the characters in the book, particularly the main character, Hildy who you really feel for at times but at other times want to shout at her to get a grip!

I am always a little wary with books set in America and am never sure how well they will translate being in the UK. I did not feel it mattered at all with this book it could happen anywhere and I don't think I lost any of the story not being American.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the likes of Jodi Picoult as it is very similar in style and story.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and I would definitely read others from the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the one ..., 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Good House (Kindle Edition)
Leary's characters leap from the page, and it's no surprise that 'The Good House' is bound for Hollywood. A thoroughly enjoyable study of an independent woman determined to hold her own, and hold her head high in her home town - she's just in denial about one small thing ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Good House (Paperback)
Very much enjoyed the book. Thought provoking on many levels. The author's personal experience is very obvious from the detail and depth covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Good Read, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Good House (Kindle Edition)
Iloved this book and iI wished it could have gone on for ever and will look out for a sequel

5.0 out of 5 stars really good read, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Good House (Kindle Edition)
I loved all the characters in this book and the background of a little USA town.

I especially loved the honest character of Hildy and he perspective on the drinking issue that plagues he life! Very honest views that anyone who likes a drink can relate to.

Will be looking at reading other Ann Leary books now I'm hooked.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xab69fc3c)

The Good House
The Good House by Ann Leary (Paperback - 3 Oct 2013)
9.09