Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 July 2013
Interesting to see what came out of Julie's mind but tedious with the constant references to fashion items and fancy foods.
on 1 June 2013
There are readers that will love this...It is akin to 50 shades of grey (only written better), and as such should appeal to those types that love that kind of book. Having said that, it is not to my taste, and I hated the constant reference (several times on almost every page) to designer labels...but of course this is only my personal view.
on 11 July 2013
If you skip the very boring sex you'll be left with about 10 pages to read. I did read this when it first came out & vaguely remembered it as more entertaining - it's not. Under a thin guise of the the woman making the decisions it I think it must many men's dream, a woman who allows him to come up with degrading situations & the woman, liberated, says 'oh yes please'. dull, dull, dull!
This is a deliberately outrageous book designed to point out the horrors of the yuppy culture of the time. It would shock your maiden aunt!

Burchill is a marmite person, you either hate her or love her. She surely can write though and I think she is a useful voice, she says things that others lack the courage to say.
on 19 July 2013
I read this when it was originally published, and I have to say apart from the odd comment about Filofaxes and eighties designers it is still as good today as it was back in the day.
Thoroughly enjoyable, puts 50 shades of grey in the well, shade!
on 29 June 2013
Rude? Not by half. Messed up twenty something so ambitious she will do anything and she does but then you are left wondering will bad girl cine good and live happily ever after, the book doesn't exactly reveal but gives you a great ride along the way while you try and find out!
on 21 March 2002
Having followed Ms Burchills carreer from the early days of NME..Our herione has an "AMBITION" to be a top journilist.
She finds that the male ego, dominated profession means she has only one option to make it ...Sex.
She is offered a chance for her dream job, but with strings attached.
The owner of the paper, gives her 5 tasks of ever increasing sexual complexity. Her Ambition is so strong, she agrees.
Not knowing what she is letting herself into she is taken on a venture aimed at humilating her and exploring how far she will push her sexual behaviour.
She complicates things by falling for his son.
Julie Burchill has a very vivid and erotic imagination.
She has produced a brilliant erotic, trashy story.
A girlfriend took it on holiday and by the end of the week all four of us had read it and found we couldnt put it down.
on 29 June 2013
Filthy, Naughty Read, with a huge dollop of humour. This book had me tittering, lots of great one-liners. A real tongue in cheek look at gender roles in the late 80's early 90's.
on 24 October 2013
This wins, hands-down, my nomination for the worst book I have ever read. So bad, so offensive, so crude that I did not donate it to a charity shop, I ripped it apart and threw it in a skip. When she puts in some effort, Julie Burchill can write - but mentions of cashmere tights and a "Pretty Woman" style spending spree are just lazy.
I seriously recommend avoiding this book wherever and whenever possible.
on 4 July 2013
Just as I expected. This is very good. I kind of expected this to be like this hence I ordered it. I was not wrong.