4.0 out of 5 stars Good things...
Published on 4 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Food glorious food
Published 2 months ago by MisterHobgoblin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good things..., 4 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This is the perfect book for anyone who loves to cook and has experienced the anguish of striving to match the glossy perfection presented by contemporary cook books and tv shows. It was good to know that I'm not the only amateur chef who feverishly buys and hoards cook books (thanks to Amazon I now can't afford any of the ingredients, but at least I have an extensive recipe library). It's equally reassuring to know that Julian Barnes has also spent valuable time worrying about what exactly constitutes a medium-sized onion. Written with humour and a good pinch of style, their were many times I laughed out loud with tears roling down my face (makes a change from the tears I normally shed when chopping a medium-sized onion). Great book - would go well with the turkey and lightly buttered sprouts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 15 Sep 2007
I agree with everything Amazon reviewers have said here but I'd like to add a word about the illustrations which are witty and beautiful. I own the hardcover version and had to search for the artist's name. I found it in tiny print on the dustcover's inside back flap. There is also a mingy little acknowledgment along with 'moral rights' and ISBN notes inside. Congratulations to a chap called Joe Berger for making The Pedant in the Kitchen so attractive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 May 2005
Don't expect a cookbook - you won't get one. This is just Julian's observations about cooking and the terrible havoc that the generalities of most cookbooks can cause to a pendant who slavishly follows recipes.
It is frankly hilarious, especially the chapter entitled "No, we won't do that". Cookbook writers take note

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining reading, 30 Oct 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Julian Barnes just wants to cook delicious food for his family and friends. He doesn't want to be a master chef and not does he want to invent his own recipes - he just wants to follow other people's instructions. But recipes books can be less than exact for the cook who likes to know precisely how much is in heaped teaspoonful and when the recipe says `a teaspoonful' does it mean level, heaped or rounded?

Having read this very entertaining collection of essays I find myself wondering about some of the recipes I use. I've never really worried about exact quantities especially of things like fruit in fruit cake - if it's a little over on the specified quantity then it goes in anyway. But I do wonder now about all those inexact quantities. What exactly constitutes a squeeze of lemon juice? How big is a handful and whose hands should I use when measuring the handful?

As well as spluttering coffee over too many surfaces because I was laughing while reading the book I have picked up a very useful hint. If quantities are not precise put in more of the ingredients you like and less of those you don't like and the result should be fine. I really enjoyed reading `A Pedant in the Kitchen' and if Julian Barnes' novels are as entertaining as this book of essays I shall enjoy reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good humoured reassurance for home cooks, 22 Nov 2008
Julian Barnes uses his beautiful literary style to entertain the cooks amongst us. This book is a must read if you buy cookbooks and despair at the imprecise nature of the instructions given or are appalled by the difference between your finished article and the photograph in the book. A short read that you won't put down. One for cooks who want some comfort that they are not alone with their catering concerns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Book, 17 Feb 2014
Barnes is not a natural cook, rather he is a follower of the recipe, an acolyte of the great cookery writers, but most of all a pendant.

In this delightful little book he takes several subjects and writes a short essay on each. He writes about dinner parties, the exact dimensions of a medium onion, the frustrations of some cook books and the delights of others.

There is some great advice in here too. When doing a dinner party, do as they do in France, and buy one of two of the courses. Don't ever make the River Cafe chocolate nemesis, dried pasta is as good as fresh and that the most useful gadget for a home kitchen is a sign saying; This is not a Restaurant.

I am starting to like Barnes as a writer more, Not a word is wasted, nor is there a morsel out of place.

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth about aspirational cooking, 29 Jan 2014
This book is genuinely laugh aloud funny, with the proviso that you have to value Julian Barnes' style and precision with language. If you are someone who has found his short stories and novels over-intellectual and mannered, then leave this delight alone. The accuracy of his observations about recipes with imprecise ingredient amounts and the folly of expecting dishes enjoyed abroad to taste the same when cooked in damp England strikes a chord in my kitchen. Though I have never, unlike Barnes, bought a juicer, we probably all have machines and gadgets that have never delivered on their promises. Barnes spotlights the perils and delights of aspirational cooking with humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny, 23 Jan 2014
I enjoyed every minute of this book, it had me laughing out loud at times, and it rang many bells with my own culinary adventures. Also, it gave me a few new ideas for the kitchen repertoire,

4.0 out of 5 stars short but amusing, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Pedant in the Kitchen (Paperback)
a brief but amusing book, well written by Julian Barnes as you might expect. No earth shattering insights into the human condition perhaps but that is OK.

3.0 out of 5 stars Food glorious food, 19 May 2014
MisterHobgoblin (Melbourne) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Once upon a time, when he was only moderately famous, Julian Barnes wrote a column for The Guardian called The Pedant In The Kitchen. The idea was that a “Late Onset Cook” would slavishly adhere to recipes and run aghast at the idea of improvisation in the kitchen. This book bring together those columns into a single (very) slim volume padded with pictures.

The concept appealed to me – I am an enthusiastic cook and would happily spend a day following recipes of some considerable complication. I do so to the letter; I see cooking as a co-production between myself as the technician and the writer as the conceptualiser. I think there’s a dose of art on both parts, but I know I will never be able to generate my own culinary ideas.

It was therefore reassuring to find Julian Barnes to be a soulmate. He has an obvious care and passion to put out the best food he possibly can. He too will adopts one or two recipes in a book whilst leaving many untested for no obvious reason. And he shares my frustration at imprecise wording or processes that are logistically impossible (such as the instruction to cook pork chops and halved endives face down in the same pan at the same time). It was even more heartening to find it all written with a delightful, self-deprecating humour. Julian Barnes’s recipe books are very much of his generation – Sophie Grigson and Elizabeth David rather than the names that fill my shelves – and he spends rather longer talking about soufflés than he might. What even is a soufflé? .

However, the columns run out of steam. After the initial rantings against specific recipes and specific writers, we depart into name dropping where Barnes discusses recipes with the various celebrity chefs, even eats at their homes. Then, in a futile attempt to breathe life into the series, Barnes falls back on cookery as discussed in literature. The series ends with a sort of whimper as Barnes tells us he’d rather be in his kitchen, trying out something new. By this point, so too are his readers.

The Pedant In The Kitchen is worth reading, is funny and is very human. The home cook will see himself or herself in at least some of the descriptions. The work will not take long to read, may not leave a deep impression, but will offer reassurance that what we try in the kitchen is OK. It’s OK to muff things up. It’s OK to buy stuff in. The only way to fail would be to stop trying.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Pedant in the Kitchen
The Pedant in the Kitchen by Julian Barnes (Paperback - 1 Jun 2013)
6.39