Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 15 November 2008
I cannot praise this book highly enough. Billy Showell's portraits of flowers are not only unique and exquisite but very inspiring. The book is beautifully presented and a real credit to the fine illustrations.
The information presented here helps the reader to fully appreciate the skills involved. The budding artist is encouraged to produce similar portraits with the inclusion of basic skills encompassing drawing flowers, leaves, composition, artist's materials and colour. The detail in this book is precise, easy to understand and very informative. Furthermore step-by-step instructions take the painter through the process of painting portraits of some of my favourite flowers such as the incredibly beautiful slipper orchid, the Green Goddess arum lily, the ever popular rose and the gorgeous hues of a delphinium. What I like about this book is that Billy has chosen to portray what is often regarded as the 'difficult' areas of painting, greens for leaves, white flowers, light and shadow and she makes it all seem so easy that you quickly gain the confidence to have a go. I am having great fun doing just that. This inspiring book makes a fabulous gift for anyone interested in flowers or painting.
Little wonder that Billy Showell has recently been awarded the Society of Botanical Artists' Certificate of Merit for the 5th year running. This book is a superb showcase not only for Billy as an artist but also as a teacher of her art. This is a book that will remain on my shelf and be used forever.
on 26 October 2007
For watercolour flower painters this book is essential. It shows details of laying washes to achieve realism and delicacy of flower portraits in an almost botanical style. Billy arranges her flowers into the most beautiful paintings and gives tips on composition for you to do the same. The book contains lots of very clear illustrations to follow to achieve the best results, from how to do the first drawing stages, colour mixing to get realistic petals and leaves, and the techniques needed to lay the paint onto the paper to end up with a beautiful flower portrait.
An essential book for anyone wanting to achieve realistic flower portraits
on 20 July 2006
This book was sent to me as a gift, and as a student in Botanical art is a welcome addition to my libuary. It answers many questions in a simple and easy understandable manner. The watercolour mixing of greens has taken away the anxiety of this toublesome proccedure. I think I will have to wait for the issue of the paperback as i feel this book will become a well thumbed reference,and can't recomed this enough for students and experienced botanical artists.
on 7 September 2010
Just about the most useful book I have come across for Botanic artists. Those just starting, and those who have been painting for some time will find this book so helpful that it will never sit on the shelf, but be in constant use. The DVD that goes with this book is equally as good and should be of great help to anyone who feels that the are struggling with the finer details that are required for true botanic work. For any one just starting on the road to painting botanics both the book and DVD will give really helpful advice on how to build up work to the standard we would all like to reach. The text is well written and easy to follow as are the illustrations used in the demonstration section.
on 18 July 2007
Inspirational, a fresh and contemporary approach to botanical type painting . This has been an invaluable resouce during my Botanical Art Diploma.
on 28 June 2009
Another lovely book from Billie Showell & just as useful for using coloured pencil as watercolour. Not as unusual as her fruit & veg book but still full of tips. I recommend them both.
Thank you .
on 27 June 2009
This book helps with the leap from botanical illustration as a scientific aid to painting as an art form. Enough of an inspiration for a non-artist like me to want to have a go!
on 16 November 2009
The pictures in this book are great. The author provides good advice about how to mix the colours she uses and on how to apply them. She covers the subject matter in a clear and uncomplicated way, but be warned - your own efforts are not likely to come out looking as good as the images in the book. This just goes to show that things are never as easy as they appear. Nevertheless, I don't regret buying the book as there is material in it that I have not found covered in other books. With some more practice I'm sure my paintings will improve.
I JUST LOVE THIS BOOK, IT IS SO BEAUTIFULLY ILLUSTRATED AND CONCEIVED THAT I CAN'T RECOMMEND IT HIGHLY ENOUGH. I LOVED IT SO MUCH I ALSO BOUGHT THE DVD!! THIS IS A FABULOUS HARDBACK WITH THE MOST WONDERFUL STEP BY STEP PROJECTS AND TIPS & TECHNIQUES. SHE IS A WONDERUL ILLUSTRATOR AND IT SHOWS IN EVERY SINGLE PAGE OF THIS MUST HAVE BOOK...Watercolour Flower Portraits
on 5 December 2011
Billy Showell is queen of the floral watercolour books and I have learned much from studying her techniques, adapting them to suit me with spectacular results. Overall I prefer the second book A - Z of Flowers which I purchased first but I am still more than happy to have this book in my collection.