on 19 January 2014
I put this book on my wish list, being instantly attracted to the colourful primrose throw on the front cover,and was thrilled when I received it as a Christmas present. I couldn't wait to sit down with the book, in the New Year, and choose a starting project. It is imaginatively written and all the projects are beautifully illustrated.
However, it is assumed that the reader is familiar with using 5 double pointed needles and there is no instruction given in using them. Okay, I can read up on the technique elsewhere.
I decided to begin with one of the colourful, hippie dolls and was amazed, on reading the pattern, to discover that there is no instruction for knitting the hair, an essential character attribute for the dolls, the bumble bee, scarecrow etc. Purchased, and sold as a knitting book, the patterns must be complete and this lets the book down. By looking in their book of knitted dolls I see that this includes the hair instructions, but surely I shouldn't have to buy another book to obtain a complete pattern. Something is wrong! Has it been lost in translation?

I greatly admire the very charming work of Arne and Carlos but would now be very reluctant to purchase another of their books. What a shame!
on 9 November 2013
Well I found this book beautiful! They talk and walk you through their abundant garden that they have grown from scratch and give you various small projects to illustrate this.
Yes there are wee knitted mice and dolls with tiny sweaters to knit, a chubby bumblebee... but also embroidered pansy pillows for the garden, colourful crocheted throws
(using all your scraps and very easy to do), crocheted trimmed, knitted runners etc Also using tiny strips of simple knitting to curl up and make innovative placemats and cushions.
I just love it! This is inspiration at its best. Their use of colour is liberating, their use of small wool scraps so creative. And even if you didn't make a thing, their photography and
illustrations are just dreamy and stunning. I'd rather this book any day than a bog standard crochet or knit book with the samey, style less patterns you can get anywhere..
on 26 February 2014
Even if you never produce any of the items in this book, it is a feast for the eyes when curled up on the sofa on a rainy day. Beautiful colours and photographs - so colourful and summery. And even though my crochet hook found itself flying across the living room a few times, I persevered and got there in the end!
on 9 January 2014
This is a lovely book with beautiful pictures to support the text. The instructions are clear and understandable. I recommend it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 November 2013
Step into Arne and Carlos' magical garden, in which they have found so much inspiration. They have created 36 fun knit and crochet projects. You will find many projects inspired by flowers. However, you have entered the world of Arne and Carlos' imagination, and the projects extend to creatures that live in the garden too. These include Magnus Mouse, Scarecrow, Bumblebee Man and the Hippies, delightful dolls to make. There are also some projects for a garden doll's house such as a crochet blanket. There are knitted and embroidered pot holders, a place mat and kitchen towel (very similar) and both finished with crochet flowers. There are crochet throws, I really like the Primrose one, and also a knit throw. Suddenly the book then switches to cross-stitch cushions and table mats for a few pages, which although garden inspired seem incongruous. I like the garter stitch pin cushions and they show you how to make this into a seat cushion or table mats. The same technique is used to make a butterfly. There are also floral crochet coasters, which again can be made into cushion covers. All in all, this is a beautiful book but I did find it a little disjointed. I would have liked the projects to be presented in themes. Throughout the book, the photos and ideas are wonderful. This is well worth buying.
on 17 October 2015
I received the book Arne and Carlos Knit-and-crochet Garden - quickly and I cannot fault the delivery service or the Seller. However the book itself is disappointing. I have all Arne and Carlos's other books and they are Fabulous but this book although it has beautiful photos in it........
Its patterns are not as good as you would expect from the title. I expected there to be a plethora of flowers butterflies and bees in the book but I was disappointed. I agree with the other reviewer regarding the hippie dolls .... Because unless you already own their book of toys and dolls you cannot make the doll's hair in this book as there are no instructions.
Also although the embroidered cushions and matching placemat are nice they fill several pages of what is essentially a knitting and crochet book! As This is not a tutorial on how to create embroidery on their knitted or crocheted cushions. No the embroidery is a stand alone project and not many knitters or crocheters will have aida in their stash! Better thought could have gone into the making of this book which is why I have only given it 3 stars
on 4 November 2013
I love Arne and Carlos, I think they are very talented and produce beautiful things. I didn't really think this book was a good buy though. Amongst the lovely crochet rugs there are cross-stitch patterns taking up several pages of this Knit and Crochet book. I also felt a little too much was taken up by dolls patterns and their clothing. It seems instead of producing a book full of new ideas or varied techniques they have honed just a few techniques and done the same thing several different ways.
It is still a lovely looking book but I can't imagine using more than one or two things out of it.
I thought their Christmas book was genius; their Easter book re-hashed the Christmas book. The doll book was great and just as advertised and now knit and crochet garden is a bit of a let-down. By that every second books a winner logic the next one should be fabulous!
on 9 December 2013
Super book can't wait to get started on projects in it. Many unusual ideas to try out in the new year.
on 7 September 2014
Just love their books - beautifully produced and a joy to look at. Haven't tried the patterns yet but am enjoying the anticipation. if I'd gotten it out of the library first I still would have bought it because the projects are so delightful. It is an indulgence rather than a necessity and for crafters who enjoy fiddly work.
on 16 March 2014
This book has been translated from Norweign It has lovely ideas based on the garden where the writers live
it has somm nice ideas