5.0 out of 5 stars Style and Substance
I always love it when a book shows up on my Amazon recommended list that looks as beautiful as this one does. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but it's hard not to buy this gem for the cover alone, just look at it!!
Published 2 months ago by Samantha

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite fulfilling its promise
Published 5 months ago by K. Platt

5.0 out of 5 stars Style and Substance, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
The name of the book is pretty self explanatory but I'm gonna go ahead and tell you about it anyway. If you are planning to make stuff and sell it online, or at craft shows or you just like being nosey and seeing inside peoples craft rooms this book is for you. By far the best crafting 'advice' book for UK artists and designer/makers I have ever read, and I have read A-LOT of these kind of books.
Let me tell you why...
One. It is Beautiful! I know I have said that already but it is probably the prettiest (useful) book I have ever owned. It is full of colourful photography of gorgeous crafty goodness. It has been on my desk for weeks and I cannot stop picking it up and looking at it, like, everyday.
Two. It has stacks and stacks of really useful information in it. From storage suggestions for your craft supplies, to tips from real designers and artists who are already doing what you want to do. And when I say tips I mean real, useful, meaningful tips that will actually help with the steps you can take to make your dream job become a reality.
Three. As international as the world is now, it is so nice as a UK crafter to hear opinions from other UK crafters. The British craft industry is different from that of the rest of the world and it works in a slightly different way, so to have a book written for British crafters by British crafters, it is a refreshing perspective.
Four. There are sections for everything, not just the fun stuff. Being your own boss is really brilliant, but it is a lot of hard work and I feel that this book (unlike many others) doesn't gloss over the sticky bits.
Five. It is all the things I love about craft in one book. It is pretty, well put together and actually useful. It is the polar opposite of style over substance. It is slick, well put together and it looks beautiful. (I know, I said it again!)
I would highly recommend adding this book to your wish list if you have plans to sell your crafts online or anywhere else. If you like looking a pictures of beautiful crafts or if you like great tips on making your craft selling dreams come true. If you want to make your craft selling business the best it can be, use this as your Bible. Seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all crafters, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
This is a book that gives a detailed oversight of how to turn a hobby into either an internet business or just an occasionally foray into selling locally. Including great craft projects that help you to have an ordered place to craft. The section on photography is very helpful in showing you how to avoid the pitfalls that can prevent your items being shown to their best advantage. All in all wether you want to be the next Cath Kidston or you just want a little pin money I think that this book gives the basics with follow up websites that would help you decide how far you wish to progress your craft business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such beautiful photography, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
I have been reading the Torie Jayne blog for years, so was delighted when I heard that she was writing a book! I love her craft tutorials, which not only produce beautiful things, but also introduce techniques and ideas that can be used to develop your own crafts. I found the section on photography useful, especially the techniques for reflecting the light to ensure that your item is shown in its full glory!

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite fulfilling its promise, 23 Jan 2014
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
Turn your craft hobby into a business is the byline in this book. It is divided into Getting Started, Branding, Selling, Marketing and ideas to become successful in business. It shows you how to organise a workspace and offers practical solutions to keeping tidy. I love the How to Make Ribbon Spool Holder Box, because I need at least two of those, tangled ribbons are so annoying. Artists talk about how they got started, their inspiration and success. There are lots of tips for crafters starting out. The crafter's profiles did not tell me anything about how to be a successful crafter. This book contains very basic information, some good how-to projects and great photography. It is not an entrepreneur's book as it suggests, neither does it provide a successful business role model. The title - is it Craft Show & Sell or should it be Craft, Show & Sell???

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
This book is packed full with guidelines on setting up a craft business. Also helped me to organise my sewing room.

5.0 out of 5 stars I made it myself, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
we found this book very helpful with ideas to make for the home. when our friends come around they want to know where we bought the items we have made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
It is a really good book to read and the pages really helpful for anyone who wants to start a craft type business

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for my business, 1 April 2014
Mrs. G. Foster "Gill Foster" (Inside the M25) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
This is an interesting read, which pulls a lot of my knowledge together and offers useful suggestions for running my business

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
I bought this for a friend who is thinking about setting up a craft business and she was very pleased with it. I was very pleased with the service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Craft show &sell, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Craft Show & Sell (Paperback)
I thought the book was very clear and easy to understand. I bought this book as a present for my daughter .

Craft Show & Sell
Craft Show & Sell by Jayne Torie (Paperback - 19 Jan 2014)
9.09