5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful true story
Published 6 months ago by rednick

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dog called Dez
I was dissapointed that the story wasn't really about Dez at all! More about John Tovey, who as he said himself, wasn't a particularly endearing person. I'm pleased John's life is good now but I didn't enjoy reading about his escapades when he was younger, sorry.
Published 2 months ago by Sheila

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful true story, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Dog Called Dez. The True Story of How One Amazing Dog Changed His Owner's Life (Hardcover)
A dog called Dez is written in such a way that it caught my attention straight away...I then struggled to put the book down. Following the true story of John and his difficult childhood, his disruptive behaviour and neglect of his own health leading to a tragedy in his life by losing his sight. However this actually is the start to a new life for him helped by the star of the book, his guide dog Dez. Its a wonderful book, beautifully written, capturing John's life and transformation. Very uplifting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Inspiring, 18 Oct 2013
I am a huge fan of the Guide Dogs for the Blind charity so when I met John and his Guide Dog Dez I was overcome with excitement. They were advertising their new book "A Dog Called Dez". As soon as I returned home I bought it and within a day of it arriving I'd finished the entire book!
A very touching true story about John's life, going from hitting rock bottom and feeling the lowest of lows, only then to be picked up by the Guide Dogs Charity and his new best mate, Dez.
I always knew I wanted to work for Guide Dogs in the future but after reading this I have never been so sure of what I want to do with my life.
Be prepared to smile, laugh and cry. This book really opens your eyes to the reality of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational tale of love & trust, 14 Oct 2013
It's difficult to remain objective as I know the dog & the man.
I have never seen a companionship between guide dog & owner like this one.
Dez is a very special dog, who has helped John begin to believe in himself & his future, after losing everything. It is wonderfully written, & tells the true story of a kid brought up in the 70s, poor & neglected by his parents. His behaviour becomes anti-social & he is sent away to institution after institution but he falls in love, marries & becomes a Father. He works hard,& puts his son through private school. A combination of events lead to him losing his family, his home & his sight. He almost gives up on life........in fact this book could have been his suicide note......
Then Dez comes into his life. The two of them are a force to be reckoned with, & have tirelessly worked at fundraising for Guide Dogs. They are an inspiration, hilarious to be with. I am lucky enough to have found friends in both of them.....
This book encapsulates the wonder of their relationship.....
& most of all..... The wonder of life.....
Be prepared for laughter & tears

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt story, 25 Oct 2013
Beautifully written, it made me laugh and cry, and portrayed what a terrible experience it must be got go blind, and the strong bond between man and dog which which no doubt saved John's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dog called Dez, 23 Oct 2013
This book is a compelling read; being one that I have not been able to put down over these few past days. This story effectively covers the life story of John Tovey, capturing all of the highs and lows in what has been an eventful life. A dog called Dez is a story of hope and redemption and I am glad that I have been able to read such a brilliant book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dog called Dez, 23 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing partnership, 22 Jan 2014
As a puppy walker for guide dogs the question most often asked is...'how do you give the puppy back?' Well my answer will now be 'read a Dog Called Dez'. John's story of his life pre losing his sight is a book in itself. A real insight into life where basics such as love, affection and communication just don't exist. It explains how a little boy can so easily slip through our education system and get lost forever into an ever decreasing circle of crime and survival. If that weren't enough John loses his sight but, ironically, it's also the beginning of a better life! We see the best of human nature finally helping. But most of all we witness the lifechanging effect a guide dog partnership can have. Very uplifting!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener, 22 Dec 2013
A book that makes u consider how lucky we are to actually be able to see. Great read and very rewarding

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dog called Dez, 18 Dec 2013
I bought this because I thought it was all about the dog but it is in fact more the tale of John Tovey and his life before he went blind. It was very well written and I couldn't put it down. I was still reading at 1am. John definitely did not have the best of upbringings so his later life is no surprise. It all has a very happy ending with Dez though and the story from when Dez arrives in Johns life is heart warming. All in all a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars just a brilliant book, 30 Nov 2013
One of the few books I have not been able to put down. It is simply amazing. Buy it and enjoy!

ARRAY(0xb341d1ec)