5.0 out of 5 stars glad I bought it and whereas I thought that I ...
Interesting book; glad I bought it and whereas I thought that I had seen many of his films, I am discovering just how much of a body of work George Cole has had! I would say that this is a book for people who are more interested in George Cole's professional career even though he does cover his early years and family background. That is exactly what I wanted so it was...
Published 7 months ago by Mr. S. E. Gordon

1.0 out of 5 stars A Huge Disappointment
Like many others who have rated this book poorly I really wanted to enjoy this book and learn a little more about an actor who remains enigmatically aloof from the media.
I felt the book was poorly written, with many repetitions within the same chapter, and was extremely patronising (clearly the ghost is hoping for overseas sales) in that many English place names and...
Published 17 months ago by Mr. I. Day

‹ Previous | 15 6 711 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars she loved it., 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: George Cole: The World was My Lobster (Hardcover)
bought for my mum..she loved it..good read, good quality book clear print..great price

5.0 out of 5 stars George Cole, 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: George Cole: The World was My Lobster (Hardcover)
Bought for Xmas for my DAD. He has just finished it and said it was a fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars it arrived in good order, the content is a matter of, 10 Jan. 2015
It's a book, it arrived in good order, the content is a matter of opinion

4.0 out of 5 stars I never knew he did so much!, 11 Dec. 2013
An interesting book, but as Mr Cole said, he is a very private man. Extensive filmography and so on at the end, plus photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: George Cole: The World was My Lobster (Hardcover)
Bought as a gift for relative - extremely pleased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 29 Jan. 2015
D. G. Webb (Ely, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Cole: The World was My Lobster (Hardcover)
I would have liked less show biz & more Arthur.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 4 Feb. 2015
quite interesting not as good as I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific and enjoyable read, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: George Cole: The World was My Lobster (Hardcover)
A most enjoyable well written book with wonderful photographs.Not just a list of performances but lots of anecdotes that make it a pleasure to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Dry & Dull, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: George Cole: The World was My Lobster (Hardcover)
This is, as I am sure you imagined, the story of George Cole's life in the acting world. He has been acting since just before the second world war and more or less continuously ever since.
This is a book that is very interesting in parts and very dreary in others. The problem that I had was that George Cole rather segmented the book. A vast majority of it was concerning his acting work with a very small proportion of his personal life and comments about the times he was living in etc. He dealt with his personal life in separate chapters to his working life. So we start the book with a brief outline of his early years and then progresses onto his early working life and relationship with Alistair Sim and his wife Naomi. This section is very interesting and I was very much looking forward to the rest of the book. Then however the author concentrates totally on his working life running from one production to another. As this isn't broken up with any anecdotes of family life, friendships or general events in his life, this quickly becomes almost a list of productions. I found myself getting rather bored by yet another stage production, a few names dropped in and a few comments about the producer etc and then we moved onto the next one. This book was starting to read like an encyclopedia. As we progressed through the years the descriptions of the productions were more detailed with a few anecdotes but there was a distinct lack of humanity about the whole work. There are a few chapters towards the end which contain more of his family life but it is very thin on the ground.
I am aware that George Cole is a very private man but in order to create an autobiography you do need to put some of yourself in it. Separating the personal and family life in this way just didn't work for me. For example we only discover that he had an early marriage and two children when he marries his second wife. He mentions building a house next door to Alistair & Naomi Sim - were there not interesting anecdotes about that which the reader would have found amusing?
This is a very dry and factual book. I feel that George Cole would have been better creating a more detailed history of his working life with a commentary on how things have changed throughout the years or something similar. Classing this as an autobiography isn't strictly accurate in the usual sense and I found myself quite disappointed.
Of course, someone whose main interest is purely the facts around stage and TV productions may enjoy this book far more than I did. I did not leave this book feeling as if I knew this man in any way whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars a really good read, 25 April 2015
Very interesting, a really good read

‹ Previous | 15 6 711 | Next ›

George Cole: The World was My Lobster
George Cole: The World was My Lobster by Brian Hawkins (Hardcover - 7 Oct. 2013)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available