4.0 out of 5 stars Zend Framework 2.0 by example - beginner's guide review
From time to time I'm asked by publishers to review tech books and this was one of them. In my opinion, the book is fair and presents the information in an accessible manner, maybe sometimes a bit too verbose for my taste, but however I'm a seasoned developer and a certified Zend Framework engineer and some of the concepts seemed too basic for me.

Another...
Published 8 months ago by Tudor

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book for a beginner, full of mistakes - AVOID!!
Published 10 months ago by G Zingh

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book for a beginner, full of mistakes - AVOID!!, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Zend Framework 2.0 by Example: Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Firstly, I would like to say that I have never read a book with so many typos and mistakes in example code. Would think a book like this coming from a "professional" publishing company would have passed standards and been thoroughly proof read however no signs of that exist. A few minor mistakes are acceptable but there are too many in this book which is frustrating as I'm trying to learn ZF2. Considered submitting an errata but I've lost track of the mistakes and I'm not willing to put the time and effort to point out mistakes that should have been picked up before the title was published!

The book also doesn't explain properly all the elements of ZF2 such as the components, which is confusing for me as a new learner - the author needs to rethink the content if it is tomatch the book title - "Beginner's Guide" as I certainly know "the basic of OOP PHP" and yet I can't understand what is going on many times in the book.

This is currently the only book available for ZF2 and it's not going to help, wait for another book from a different publisher/author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Zend Framework 2.0 by example - beginner's guide review, 25 Nov 2013

Another commenter said that the book has a lot of typos and mistakes - while this might be true - I'm not a native English speaker so I don't always pick up all the typos, but I was able to grasp the basic concepts of the book without struggling. The book isn't for the absolute beginner in the field of programming, it's for a beginner in developing applications with Zend Framework 2. You need to have a good understanding of design patterns, OOP and PHP before diving in. The code examples are available for download from Packt's website, just follow the instructions in the book.

Overall I think the book offers good value for the money, especially now that it's on discount. You can read my entire review here http://blog.motane.lu/2013/10/12/zend-framework-2-0-by-example-beginners-guide/

Zend Framework 2.0 by Example: Beginner's Guide
Zend Framework 2.0 by Example: Beginner's Guide by Krishna Shasankar (Paperback - 26 July 2013)
30.99