Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf 2) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£6.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very entertaining sequel to The Last Werewolf. I had high expectations of this as The Last Werewolf totally absorbed me and this does not disappoint. You do need to have read the previous novel to fully apprciate the story although if you did dive in right here I think Glen Duncan's writing style is so entertaining it could well make up for any story gaps you are missing. There lots of references to the previous story's main character and his outlook on werewolf life as Talulla has Jacob's journal with her as a sort of werewolf reference for any werewolf education she still needs.

Glen Duncan writes this in first person again, using more sharp observations, humour and occasional pop culture references to ground the book and give it a sense of realism. It worked brilliantly in the first story so I am very glad he stuck with that style for the sequel.

Obviously this whole first person approach hangs on the main character being interesting and she certainly is that, perhaps even more so than Jacob was in The Last Werewolf. The author does a brilliant job of describing the problems and solutions of being a werewolf parent, the badly timed birth scene is particularly well described and the sense of the power of Talulla's emotions towards her babies is very real.

As with the first story this held my interest throwing in plenty of character developments, action and pretty shocking twists that I never got close to getting bored once. The mostly quite short chapters as before helps keep the momentum of the story going and often made me try and read "just one more" chapter.

I also really like how as before the quality feel of the hardback, binding and the edging to the pages just shouts quality to me.

The author does not shy away from some of the adult themes that the werewolf life style and supernatural needs requires and thus uses some very strong adult language; if the occasional use of the "c word" offends you will not like this.

To sum up this is another very entertaining example of adult werewolf literature. I can't wait for the third part now!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
To say this was an eagerly awaited sequel is understating the case, ever since the end of the superb "Last Werewolf" I have been waiting for the next instalment and this does not disappont at all. Glen Duncan has somehow managed to up the ante with each of his novels (perhaps he made a deal with Lucifer who was after all the central character of one of his earlier novels?) and each one has been even better than the last. While his sophisticated structuring and intelligent literary referencing may not be for everyone even without this he writes a great story with characters the reader believes in a cares about. He also imbues the story with a great deal of dry wit and humour, also trademark Duncan.

Talullah Rising begins in the aftermath of the gory ending of the Last Werewolf with Talullah pregnant and looking for somewhere to give birth away from the werewolf hunters at WOCOP and the vampires who are after her due to the potentially light-resistant properties of werewolf DNA. It's a great set up for the story and within 15 pages I was sucked in and put the book down once before I finished it. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone, and am already counting down to the final book in the trilogy.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
'Talulla Demetriou, you have been a Very (pause) Bad (pause) Girl.'

The novel starts with a prologue which focuses on Talulla's upbringing and sexual awakening and how becoming a werewolf means that 'she was forced to say goodbye to the moral high ground for ever.' And then Talulla takes on the the narrative whereThe Last Werewolf left off. It does make sense to read that novel first and Jake is a beguiling narrator - erudite and funny both.

Like some other reviewers here I am a fan of Glen Duncan's earlier writing, think he is one of our most accomplished authors and cannot understand why he has not had more success. I have read Weathercock,The Bloodstone Papers,Love Remains and Death of an Ordinary Man. He writes beautifully and has a wickedly mordant sense of humour and great psychological insight. I, Lucifer was his first foray into commercial fiction and I liked it very much. I've been led into this new trilogy not because of the genre but because I am a fan of Duncan's writing and it's fascinating to see how he can use a genre to explore the concerns of a modern psychological novel - here it's about motherhood and how we can feel sympathy for a monstrous character capable of thinking of eating her own baby. Duncan is also great with a fast paced plot and swift turns and reverses - though I think these work less well in this novel than in the first. Talulla Rising is very readable and does more than just entertain.

Desire, appetite, hunger. What it means to be human or other than human - these are the themes that Duncan continues to explore.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Talulla Rising is a clever, literary, wickedly humorous horror story. As it begins Talulla is about to go into labour. She is a female werewolf and is about to be pitted against age-old enemies, a particular Vampire cult. They are about to steal her first-born child of twins, a boy.

If anyone had told me I would happily read this kind of book, I'd have baulked. But then one of my favourite writers, Glen Duncan, decided to write a horror story called The Last Werewolf and Tallulla Rising is the sequel. It turns out that Jake, the hero of the first book, is not, after all the last werewolf, but Talulla may be, until the birth of her twins. A warning, however, there is bad language and sex scenes within. If such offends you, do not read this book.

So, why isn't Jake the last werewolf? In fact, due to some of the activities in this book, there are more werewolves than we started out with. Talulla, as a new and somewhat bewildered werewolf has read The Occult Phenomena journal which tells her:

"Werewolves do not reproduce sexually... If you haven't had kids by
the time you're turned you're not having any, get used to it.
Lycanthropic reproduction is via infection: survive the bite and
the Curse is yours.
But here's the thing, the old news, the stale headline: no one
Is surviving the bite any more."

"Thanks to a virus. For which WOCOP has found a cure. A cure they'd shot into me the night I was bitten."

Why has the World Organisation for the Control of Occult Phenomena found themselves facing an insurgent offspring dedicated to the Creation of occult phenomena? And how come Talulla holds the key to these strange developments? The book will tell you very entertainingly, without dissimulation and at satisfying length. I'm half-horrified to find myself enjoying this kind of thing, but enjoying it I am. Glen Duncan is an unusually versatile, unaccountably wonderful and accomplished writer.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I do admit that I tend not to read many vampire/ werewolf books, however I had been intrigued by "Talulla Rising" and was only put off bit y not having read Glen Duncan's earlier book The Last Werewolf. So it was good to get a chance to read it for review, and can report that you definitely don't need to have read the other book to enjoy this (though of course there will be some spoilers if you read them the wrong way round).

Despite my prejudice, I enjoyed this book a lot. There is a good, dramatic plot that barely lets up from the start, and werewolf Talulla is a compelling and complex character. Duncan grippingly portrays her inner anguish as different parts of her personality struggle - "wulf" vs woman vs mother - and her guilt at the loss of the abducted son she sets out to track down. And while I don't know if this is the first book to have to engage with the practicalities of werewolf childcare (cubcare?) it does so very convincingly.

As you'd expect from a book about supernatural monsters, there's a lot of violence. As well as hunting for her son, Talulla is on the run from WOCOP, a kind of anti-supernatural police, which doesn't treat its victims at all gently - cue some moral ambiguity about the things that Talulla has to do, as a werewolf, and the sorts of things that are done in turn to her and her ilk. Also, a fair bit of sex: werewolves are apparently not chaste creatures (in either their human of wolf form).

A good read - I'll be catching up on Last Werewolf as soon as I can and looking out for the final volume in this trilogy.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found Talulla Rising hard to put down and, at the end of the day, that's the mark of a good story for me.

Duncan's signature is his fantastically inventive prose which continues to soar here (occasionally not making sense, but only occasionally). It gives a real extra flavour to the book, heightening the enjoyment. Of the story itself, it was perhaps a little formulaic, but there were a few twists to satisfy me. The only thing I really didn't like was when Talulla is being 'studied' by the scientists - it felt too gratuitous, much more so than the sex scenes which are just what you get with Duncan.

Would I recommend Talulla Rising to someone who hasn't already read The Last Werewolf? Possibly, though I'd definitely advise reading the first book before (having the background on stuff like WOCOP, werewolf lore and vampire/werewolf diplomatic relations does help); Duncan doesn't do much in the way of explaining for those new to his world, which suits me just fine (better than an info dump).

By the end of Talulla Rising, there's plenty of resolution, but also some tantalising loose threads (which will be bringing vampires into the story much more than before) to be picked up in the next installment. I wait eagerly.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I so loved this book. Tallula is an ace character that I feel most women will relate to even though she is a werewolf. This is because the writer makes her character believeable. Her emotions are demonstrated in a human way but with werewollf bite!..The author is not afraid to use graphic description to draw our attention in making the novel a real page turner. I found the mix of both emotion & wild animalistic behaviour of Tallula highly engaging!..I both loved & sympathised with her character & yet also shook my head & dissagreed with her desperate actions. My only regret is that I had not read the first book. I would urge readers to read it first as I wanted to know more about the background of the characters. Read it you'll love it!
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was intrigued by the premise and the small print describing the story line, hence my picking up this edition. Unfortunately I have not read the first in this series, although as a standalone novel it reads well you get the feel for the back story and how things came to be the way it was. The narrative was well written the characters seemed well rounded. This book is certainly not teen wolf; it has certain darkness about it, with a slight dash of humour, which makes a more, dare I say, an adult read about it. I did enjoy this book and intend to get the precursor to this tale.

A good read and worthy of a least 4 star rating.
on 30 March 2013
A great sequel to the truly magnificent "The Last Werewolf". G. Duncan's writing style is almost as much of a joy to behold as the tales his spins with it. The man is truly a master of language and this is reflected in his epically brilliant novels.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Last Werewolf was an exciting, well written crossover novel, nestling in a clever little niche of knowing literary horror. It's first person narrative followed the world's last werewolf as he was hunted by WOCOP, a force determined to rid the world of his kind. I don't normally read this sort of book, but the combination of knowing literary nods, horror tropes and dark humour made it a really enjoyable book.

So I was excited to read this sequel. It picks up pretty much where The Last Werewolf left off. Jack is dead, killed by WOCOP, and his girlfriend (also a Werewolf, so Jake wasn't quite the last) is once more on the run. And she's pregnant with his twins. At the same time a sect of vampires are building up to welcome the return of the oldest vampire, a return that will spell the end of humans and werewolves alike.

In many ways it is the same as the first. The same grizzly first person narrative, the same dark humour, the same sharp writing style. But The Last Werewolf had shock value in that it was a book on it's own in style and content. Talulla Rising has lost that surprise, and as the story progresses there is a sensation that you've read it all before. The returning vampire is a story which is familiar to anyone who has watched the Blade films, and it's so similar in tone and content to the first book that I found myself getting annoyed with the predictability. Which is a real shame as the first book won through originality.

Also Talulla is nowhere near as compelling a narrator as Jake. She's just not as likeable.

Don't get me wrong, Glen Duncan is a fine writer, I did enjoy Talulla Rising and I will read the third novel that is none too subtly set up at the end, but it just wasn't as good as a first book.