5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
This is an absolutely beautiful book.
I was nearly put of by the price, but I'm glad I wasn't. It's a real meaty tome and needs to be a hardback.
Some of the letters are absolutely fascinating, such as Gandhi pleading with Hitler to avoid war, or Hilter's nephew writing to Pres Roosevelt after he was refused entry to the US Army.
Others are humorous, moving...
Published 15 months ago by Mr. M. Cornish

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this for the kindle it's broken - you ...
Don't buy this for the kindle it's broken - you can't get beyond 60% I have informed amazon but they are not removing it for sale
Published 3 months ago by elizabeth dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 1 Nov. 2013
Mr. M. Cornish (Rutland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience (Hardcover)
This is an absolutely beautiful book.
Others are humorous, moving and downright incredible, giving a real insight into historical figures or points in history.
It's also beautifully illustrated with pictures of the original letters and other images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and beautiful, with a lovely blue ribbon., 4 Nov. 2013
I have enjoyed taking this book to bed every evening and reading a few letters at a time.

As well as delivering tasty snapshots into the minds and times of people involved in events significant and trivial in the past, the book gathers stories that are impossible not to pass on to friends, colleagues and family.

It's a hefty tome, tastefully outfitted with pictures and copies of the original letters (which are often all but illegible, but only more charming for it).

I believe this would make a brilliant, thoughtful gift for many; the greatest trouble this collection has brought to my life is having to resist sharing every story with those friends set to receive a copy for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I'd hoped ..., 6 Nov. 2013
Just received my copy, purchased for my mother for Christmas. She is an inveterate letter-writer but not online so has never known the joy of following Shaun Usher on Twitter. This book has been perfectly produced; I am going to buy more copies as gifts, and one for myself. Letters of Note ought to fascinate anyone who can read, frankly. A brilliant bit of publishing and definitely deserving of a wide readership.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Wider audience', your next top read is here, 7 Nov. 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
One of my books of the year, I think I can say. It sounds rather lofty - a collection of letters from history - but I haven't reacted to any one book with not only tears and laughter but also feelings of great admiration, warmth and hope for mankind.

Currently my colleague is reading it too, at my recommendation and feels just the same.

So how does one book manage this? Collected together are letters from various points in time, from various countries and famous and not-so-famous people. The letters themselves are often included. One is an original cuneiform letter from Ancient Egypt. Another a simple note in a long-dead language. one you won't forget shows a coconut shell, that John F Kennedy wrote an SOS note on in World War 2 when stranded on an island, that eventually brought rescue (and eventually made a White House paperweight).

I dare you to not cheer as the former slave refuses eloquently to return to his former owner without guarantees and back pay. or to smile as the editor of the Sun convinces a young writer that there IS a Santa Claus.

I cried reading the Elephant Man's doctor's words, Virginia Woolf's suicide note for her husband. Scott (of the Antarctic)'s letter "to my widow". Letters from mothers abandoning their babies at foundling homes. The Titanic telegram - no loss of life expected.

I laughed at the note condemning Fawlty Towers, one encouraging President Nixon to eat his vegetables, a reply from a 'Top Scientist' to a boy's rocket design.

All of humanity is here. Hitler's nephew wanting to fight against his relative. A Japanese kamikaze pilot writing home. Queen Elizabeth sending a drop scone recipe. Crick explaining the recently discovered DNA stricture to his nephew.

Need I say more? The content speaks for itself. A book you can dip into or read again and again. It would make a precious gift and really is quite a beautiful object in its hardback, illustrated A4 state.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this for the kindle it's broken - you ..., 10 Oct. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present, 7 Nov. 2013
I have been a fan of the site for a while and was delighted when the book was released. I bought it as a present for my mum and she loves it. The letters are beautiful & varied, and well presented in the book with a picture of each of the original letters as well as a transcription as some are hard to read!

I think I am going to buy one for myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 11 Dec. 2014
I had my eye on this book for ages but was put off by the £20 price tag. I was lucky to have snapped it up in a lightning deal and now that I own it I think it is well worth £20. I don't think I've ever read a book that has been so touching, fascinating, funny and sad at the same time. Some of the best letters inside were written by ordinary people and the letters by celebrities and historical figures are wonderful too. It is a beautiful book and would make a lovely gift. I've been raving about it to everybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a joy. There is so much variety, 16 Nov. 2014
This book is a joy. There is so much variety. The letters chosen can make you smile, laugh out loud, be amazed, or cry. You can take yourself deep into history, or absorb yourself in another culture. You can read some in two minutes, whereas others might take your half an hour to fully absorb and appreciate. The range of subjects covered is wide, and I feel confident in saying there is something in there for everybody. It also has the benefit of being a 'coffee table' book that you can keep visible and return to when the time and the mood take you. Except that I live in a bungalow and don't have any room left for a coffee table, but that's another story (not in the book!). The biggest problem with the book is picking a favourite. If pushed, I would go for 'YES Virginia there is a Santa Claus' on page 104. A letter to warm any heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Present, 19 Mar. 2014
I've bought this book for several friends and relatives and will buy it for more. Every home should have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 5 Feb. 2014
The ultimate coffee table book, great letters to and from great people. Would make a lovely gift. Has nice images and sometimes the original letters, offers a unique insight into the lives of writers, actors, presidents, queens and many others.

Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience
Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience by Shaun Usher (Hardcover - 26 Oct. 2013)