Format: Hardcover|Change

Oh Ledley Ledley,
He's only got one knee,
He's better than John Terry,
Oh Ledley Ledley.

Best book I've ever read, much better than Terry's book.
on 12 January 2014
Ledley could have been one of the greatest players for club and country in the last 50 years. Tragically, coping with constant injury, his career was not as fulfilling or as long as it should have been. This book mirrors his career. It is enjoyable but I can't help feeling it could have been so much better and a bit longer.

Time passes in a series of vignettes but one season tends to merge very quickly with another. Players come and go with little if any comment and those that are mentioned are all "good lads". For example, there is virtually no mention of the efforts of Berbatov and Modric to secure transfers and then it is mainly sympathetic. Only Stephane Dalmat receives anything approaching criticism, rather an easy and obvious target. Similarly, we learn almost nothing about the widely differing types of managers that Ledley worked under. Only Ramos receives any real negativity and even then it only hints at the problems with any detail being reserved for minor issues with the players diets - the players reaction to Ramos' sacking was to take out the bags of sweets hidden in their kit bags!

Ledley comes across as a really nice person and it is no surprise that the nearest we get to any criticism is of his own behaviour on a few publicly drunken escapades. Ledley is still one of my favourite players in the 45 years I've been watching Spurs and I've no doubt that this book reflects his personality but an awful lot happened at Spurs during Ledley's time and I think Mat Snow could have helped him produce a more interesting reflection of that career.
on 19 January 2014
True legend, great book containing season by season reviews and tales aswell as england stories and players and managers past and present. Fantastic book by a decent human being and club legend, book is suitable for not just thfc fans but any football fans and anyone who has suffered with injuries. Nice to have an insight into Ledleys current role with the club too. No scandal in this book just a nice interesting read.
on 1 February 2014
Sorry Ledley, I've been a Spurs fan for 30 years and while I honestly appreciate and sympathise with the injury hell you went through it doesn't excuse such a poor seemingly rushed book.

Lesley"s memory is seemingly patchy (first rule of becoming a sports star = keep a diary!) which means details of events are often glossed over or left out. Rounds of cup competitions are often omitted meaning the significance of the game is missed. I don't recall any mention as to Ledley's love life apart from an ex mentioned in passing.

A page does not go by without a reference to his injuries - I know, what else can he talk about right? This makes the book tedious and repetitive and as a reader I tended to gloss over while reading this.

I gave this a two star rating as I couldn't bring myself in joining the Gooner giving it a one. Not recommended even for the biggest Spurs fan.
on 18 January 2016
Not sure why I didn't buy this sooner. I was fortunate enough to see an excerpt from a chapter on Twitter which was really insightful and articulate so I decided to invest in the book. While it would have been nice for some events to have had a bit more depth and explanation (specifically the defection of then-club captain Sol Campbell to Arsenal along with the Lasagne-gate incident which cost the team Champions' League Football - both of which don't receive a huge amount of attention in the book) overall it is a fascinating and thoughtful book.

I would recommend any Spurs fan to pick this up as soon as possible, and I would also say that a lot of neutrals would enjoy Ledley's insight into how different coaches work and how different things can impact the mental state and subsequently the performance of players.
on 13 March 2014
This was a book I received for Christmas, it was an easy read about a spurs legend / nice guy who was not able to fulfil his potential because of injury. But I am not sure it told me a great deal about the man, there's some interesting background stuff about how he grew up and his journey in football. He discusses how injuries curtailed both his England and Tottenham playing careers.

I hope that as he becomes more comfortable with his role as ambassador and, as I am sure he will, move into coaching we get some more about his life at Spurs, only time will tell
on 8 November 2013
This book was really difficult to find on the high street. Super fast delievery, value for money. If your a spurs fan you will love this book.
on 26 May 2014
As a lifelong Spurs fan felt I must read this book about Ledley and his career at Spurs. The book contained the usual chapters, growing up in London, starting at Spurs and so on. However, I really wanted it to go deeper. Which players did he respect and get on with, what about the different managers and the chairman and the actual club.
The book was just very very bland. Nothing contained inside I wasn't aware of.
I do feel guilty about being so honest, Ledley you are still the King.
on 31 December 2013
Quality read , a must read for any spurs fan , really enjoyed the book , getting to know the ups and downs of a spurs legend
on 9 October 2013
A fund of entertaining stories from a thoroughly decent man, worth a read and perfect present for fans of an y football club