Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 September 2013
I was just given this book as a gift and really like its tone - not at all stuffy or 'too cheffy'. There is a lovely array of recipes, lots suitable for a family.

Higgidy have made the art of making pastry seem really do-able and have a nice slant on familiar recipes (they suggest putting whole rashers of pancetta on top of a quiche lorraine for extra flavour!). There is a whole chapter called 'Party Pies' which looks good for meals when you have to prepare ahead for your guests; I've made the rosti-topped chicken and pancetta pie so far and it was really clear to follow and the timings were spot on - it was ideal for some friends coming over to dinner!

All in all - a really useful book. Really clear, lovely un-cluttered, un-complicated recipes and new ideas to inspire me in the kitchen!
on 16 September 2013
Being a fan of all things Higgidy i couldn't wait to get my hands on this book and I can't rave about it enough. Not being a terrific cook but aspiring to be better i enthusiastically dug into this book and created a masterpiece and that was only the 1st recipe - parmesan and pea parcels. It was thanks to the exciting but easy to follow recipes.There is a fantastic balance of some simple suppers to some wow numbers. This book threatens to turn a dubious cook into one with a new passion for cooking... watch out hubby!
on 3 June 2014
The star system is a bit of a blunt instrument sometimes. I would give this book 5 stars for it great recipes but two for layout and technique. So I compromised at three. I love the recipe ideas. I really liked the idea of different pastry types such as the sour cream one and the cheesy. There are things that made me star the book down. I am not the worlds most confident pastry maker so I need really clear guidance. I could not get the recipe for the sour cream to work properly. It went soggy under the crust. I have tried it twice. There is a section that tells you all about pastry but I still could not make it work. I think this book is not one for beginners or for the less confident you need to have another how to book at hand. If you are good at pastry then you will be able to adapt and get some good stuff. So good in ideas but a bit suspect in practice. If you fancy to buy this book, and I stress again the ideas are inspiring, then go for the actual book because the kindle version is, as others have said a bit pale in text and not easy to read. The pastry and pie ingredients are separate so you need to go from one section to another which is difficult in kindle as users well know. I don't regret buying this book and I will take ideas from it but I will learn from another book.
on 7 October 2013
I made the White Chocolate Tarts at the weekend, they were delicious. I have to admit I don't normally make my own pastry, but I thought I'd give it a go, I found the recipe was very easy to follow and they turned out really well. I shall be making a lot more pastry to Camilla's instructions. Thanks Higgidy, a fantastic cookbook that will definitely have lots of buttery finger marks all over it.
on 24 September 2013
I've been a compulsive Higgidy Pie buyer for at least 6 years now, so when I heard that the Higgidy cook-book was out, I just had to have it. Being an amateur pastry maker, I am relieved that Camilla actually recommends buying filo and puff pastry. So far I've tried three recipes and all of them have been easy to follow,come out tasting delicious, and looking pretty much like the picture. The photography and food-styling is inspirational! Altogether it is a most attractive book, and I can't wait to try some more recipes - the salted pecan fudge pie is the next on the list.

Christmas is now sorted - all my brothers and sisters (5 in all) will be getting a copy!
on 20 September 2013
I have always loved the Higgidy quiches and pies so was super pleased when this cookbook arrived on my doorstop a couple of days ago. I was a bit nervous as find all things 'pastry' quite difficult but Camilla has made everything not only straightforward and easier than I expected but also the end result was delicious. I made the Salmon and watercress quiche with pink peppercorns and so so tasty. I feel quite proud of myself and cannot wait to try another! Thanks Higgidy!
on 18 September 2013
I have been waiting for this book to be released ever since I saw the pre order on Amazon and I have not been disappointed now that I have it. I agree it is definitely not a Cook Book which is going to sit on the shelf and look pretty this is a book you can use all the time. I have already been very inspired from Camilla's recipes on the Higgidy Website (Caramel Brownies) and so I am really looking forward to making some dishes from the book. My husband has been very impressed as I am really not into cooking at all and he is hoping for some good creations. I would recommend this book to cooks of all levels.
on 20 September 2013
This has something for everyone - whether you like pies or not. The recipes are easy to follow and they work! There is one for almost any occasion and so far each one that I have tried is really delicious. There are recipes for things that I've always wanted to make but never quite known how to. It is also a pleasure to look at with beautiful photography. Would definitely recommend this as a present for anyone. And make sure you buy one for yourself!
on 21 September 2013
Nice size book, recipes easy to follow. I tried the cheddar ploughman tartlets, came out great! The tips at the back for perfect pastry came in handy too.
on 16 September 2013
the most amazing selection of mouthwatering recipes and something for all the family. I'm sooo excited about tea tonight - roasted beetroot galette followed by jumble berry tart - a veritable feast!!!
I would definitely recommend this cookbook - every kitchen should have one!!