Format: PaperbackChange

on 5 March 2013
I loved this book from start to finish. I simply couldn't put it down and read it in 2 sittings. It blew me away to see this world up close. The book starts with a bang and doesnt stop. Chapter one takes you into a big orgy with drug dealers and models. Very graphic and you feel like you are there. That's why I love this book, and this author's earlier one Hotel K - the writing style is compelling and really carries you into the scenes and the moment.. It moves fast and kept me on the edge of my seat. I bought this book after reading and loving Bonella's earlier book `Hotel K', about a Bali prison,it was shocking and gripping - and Snowing in Bali did not disappoint. Highly recommend to anyone interested in true crime.
on 31 January 2013
This book is brilliant, it captures you from page 1, the way it is written you feel as though you know every person in the book as a friend, I have to admit that I read it far too quickly, I just wanted to turn each page over to find out what is happening, I finished the book today, but tonight I will start reading it again, just to make sure that I didn't miss anything. I have never ever reread a book straight away, but this one I have got too. I would also like to read another book with a follow up on what happens to these people in the future. BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT.
on 31 January 2013
What a book. I just happened upon it by chance and, when I saw that it referenced Peru, I had to take a look. (I live in Peru part-time, that's why it caught my eye.) Well I have to say that it was a right good read indeed! It gripped me from page one and, truth be told, I didn't put it down until I had finished it. It showed me what it's like to be a drug king in Bali and it's an incredible, glamorous, scary and dangerous life! The author writes as if she's lived the life too and has an easygoing style that belies the stark reality she's describing. As I read I kept asking myself 'I wonder if it would be worth it?'. Do those men she interviewed completely regret their choices? I really don't think so, and it intrigues me to no end. While I don't agree with what they did on a moral scale I wonder if I myself, when faced with the choice to become a drug dealer in a country where drugs get the death penalty, would I have said yes or no? What man wouldn't be tempted by the lifestyle? The money? The women? The cars? Like I said, it's a great read and I highly recommend it. One thing's for sure; it will leave you thinking.
on 10 July 2013
This is a fascinating book that gives an incredibly detailed and compelling insight into the world of drugs from the glamor of orgies with models to the dark hell when they get caught. Kathryn Bonella has done an impressive job of getting these drug bosses and traffickers to open up and talk to her. Snowing in Bali is packed with fascinating information and written in a way that draws you right into the scenes as if you are there too. I've read a lot of this genre and this is by far my favorite now. I found it riveting. My boyfriend has just finished reading Hotel K by Kathryn Bonella too and says it is also riveting. I'm a new fan of this author and can highly recommend Snowing in Bali. You won't be able to put it down.
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2013
A wealthy playboy is running scared. His years of drug dealing are over. The cars, the girls, the fun. All over. A snitch has been arrested - he must run.

Meanwhile, a rat scuttles across the filthy concrete floor of Bali's Kerobokan Prison. A prisoner serving years for drug trafficking grabs it, kills it with his bare hands and cooks a 'tasty meal'. A mentally disturbed woman, naked from the waist down, has sexual intercourse with a male prisoner through the bars of a cell.

Going deep inside Bali's underworld - spending hours, weeks, months, talking to Bali's most dangerous criminals is why journalist Kathryn Bonella's books are bestsellers. Most journalists would shy away from interviewing these characters. Choosing instead to limit their research to libraries and newspaper archives. What if it goes wrong? What if they are accused of being a cop? What if the prisoner turns violent or makes demands? With corruption rife, no guard will save them. No editor would dare send a journalist on such an assignment. It's too risky. The decision to enter the lions den has to be the journalist's alone. As a leading authority on Bali's underworld, Bonella invites us into a world that the tourist has no idea about. As they calmly enter a bar, and smile at the man working the door - they have no idea he is a member of a notorious gang (it begins with L but I won't type it in case they kill me!)

Snowing in Bali (snow is dealer-speak for cocaine) is my most 'edge-of-seat read' since Hotel k. The dealers are risking a lot - just discussing their crimes could cause a lot of problems for them. And that is why the book is so enjoyable. We are seeing into a world that we are not supposed to.

There is a theme that runs through the book that I found particularly thought-provoking: why do so many drug lords, not get out once they've made their millions and BEFORE they get busted? It can't just be greed - it must also be the thrill of the chase.

I wait to hear the fate of two men, featured in the book, who are on death row.
on 11 July 2014
Very clear insight into the world of Bali drug lords and the corruption that exists at every level of law enforcement and the court system. I liked learning about the different characters and their lives. Some were bound to fall. Why? I don't won't to spoilt it so read it for yourself. It is quite a gripping read and a book I found keen to pick up and read again.

I also recommend Hotel K which is written by the same author and it an automatic read for those who want to know what goes on inside. Again very good insight provided. This is about the prison the type of guys featured in "Snowing in Bali" end up in and what type of lives can exist. It is another world!!
on 7 February 2013
I love this book! I read the the other two before and I loved those too.Its so gripping and exciting. The characters are really interersting and funny. I almost wish they didn't have to be where they are now but life is all about choices.
I hope there will be another book out soon :) No pressure Kathryn
on 29 May 2013
An absolute must read for all of those fly invincible twenty somethings in surf shorts heading to Bali with an empty boom..
A stark lesson in the treachery and duplicity and absolute dishonesty involved when you live in a world inhabited by criminals, and where poverty is rife.
I still couldn't help but like some of the people whose story this is, all human at the end of the day!
Thank you to the author for the amount of work and time invested in this book.
on 8 March 2013
I couldn't put this book down. I read almost the whole thing in a single sitting. The writing is pacey, in keeping with the protagonists' lifestyles and pulls you right in to the moment. It's well researched and lots of great quotes from the drug dealers themselves. I read Hotel K by the same author and loved it too. These two books are among my favourite and are up there with the best in true crime. I can't wait for the author's next book.
on 2 April 2013
If you enjoyed reading Hotel Kerobokan this is a must! The book gave me an insight to the glamorous but very dangerous lifestyle of the drug bosses in Bali. There were also photographs showing some prisoners and various places mentioned in the book, helped me imagine what the situations were like. If you like true crime books you will enjoy this too. It's a shame that Kathryn Bonella is not planning on writing another Bali book.