on 12 November 2013
Contains lots of easily accessible and practical advice which works in the real world! I've been dipping in to the book over the weekend and tried out quite a few of the tips on my 3 and a half yr-old, she responded really well to tips on getting dressed and sibling rivalry. In my experience it's always good to be reminded of achievable tactics that keep you focused on what's really going on rather than allowing situations to get out of control.
on 18 November 2013
Finally, a book that understands that parents of toddlers don't have time to read books. I've been given numerous manuals about how best to raise your children, deal with tantrums, understand the world from your child's point of view and so on. Trouble is, they sit on the side and rarely get opened because they are just too overwhelming - and I'm just too tired. This book really does boil advice down into small, accessible chunks. And it's very easy to flick to whichever area you are most in need of help with - and take some practical tips away in a matter of minutes.
Lorraine Thomas's advice has a positive tone to it, but is also set in the real world. Chapter 1: "Remember... that you're only human. So when you're setting expectations around standards of behaviour, make sure you don't set the bar so high that you make it easy for yourself to fail." Music to a tired Mum's ears!
Highly recommended.
on 7 November 2013
This really is a great book - filled with bitesize practical tips and advice and packaged in an easy to digest way. What's more Lorraine Thomas has managed to write a practical book which is equally good for dads as it is for mums. There are lots of books on the market which look at this topic, but buy this one.
on 5 December 2013
Lorraine Thomas's new book is a must for parents with young children. I even love the rather ironic title! Brilliantly Behaved Toddlers!? Full of wonderful, practical advice, the book is clear, upbeat, immensely useful - and just plain readable.
There is no hectoring and no pomposity, quite the opposite, like all this author's books, this one is full of wisdom, but it is also witty and often funny, essentially a celebration of parents and toddlers. It is perfectly obvious that she understands how toddlers behave and how to be the best parent you can be, without expecting too much from either yourself or your 'brilliant' toddler.
I love the way it is laid out, the wonderful illustrations and the great tips in every chapter.. As Lorraine points out, our children grow up far too fast and it is so important to value our time with them while we can. All too soon they'll be gone. Her brilliant advice shows how to respond calmly to everything from 'biting and fighting' to 'toddler nightmares' and the book affirms how important it is for Mums and Dads to take time for themselves. What I really love is the way she explores how to focus on positive behaviour rather than complaining about bad behavior - and to have fun with our children.
on 8 November 2013
What a great book! With first-born on the way, both me and my wife have found this really useful. Full of common-sense, free of psycho-babble and highly reassuring that we might just be able to surviving the parenting through the terrible twos!
on 12 November 2013
My 3 year old can be testing at times. This book is full of tips and advice to help control her and understand what she wants. It's also beautifully presented and very nicely written. Whilst also being comforting and to the point, its very easy to browse as well as great for looking up specific issues. Highly recommended!
on 5 March 2015
Great Book, highly recommend it. i have read a lot of different "How to" books, most end up behind the sofa, but this one, i actually found useful!
on 26 February 2016
Never recieved it
on 31 December 2013
Like many new mums my first focus was on the birth and the immediate aftermath but now, with a beautiful 7 month old boy doing well but growing up too quickly, my husband and I are thinking about how we successfully manage the toddler stage. The Brilliantly Behaved Toddler gives quick, sensible tips for navigating those awkward situations that we all need to face as boundaries are inevitably pushed. I look forward to putting the helpful and easy to understand advice into action soon!