Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 August 2013
Eating well, saving money and being veggie can, let's be honest, be tough and boring. This book has really inspired my everyday cooking. Affordable and tasty, there are plenty recipes here that I can afford to make and share with friends - converting them to healthy food at the same time! My student days are long behind me but the recipes I've tried are so much better than what I was eating then! Highly recommend to anyone on a budget, student or not.
on 13 October 2013
Even though I am not exactly new to cooking, and am not strictly vegetarian, I do strive to eat healthy and incorporate more vegetables into my diet. This book has taught me some great ways of using veggies in everyday, budget-friendly cooking. In addition to being simultaneously simple and creative, the recipes are beautifully presented, fuss-free, full of flavour, and practically foolproof, making this the perfect go-to cookbook for any student (or busy individual trying to feed themselves, for that matter!). Charlotte's take on cooking reminds me of that of the SORTED team, which has also been a great inspiration.
I am delighted with this purchase and will definitely be looking into the other titles published in the series. This cookbook is pure joy to use!
on 30 January 2015
The perfect solution to the problems at home when my daughter decided to become vegetarian. She is such a picky eater that I imagined that my life would become full of beige, bland food...Not with this book! These recipes are simple and delicious, easy to follow and it has become our kitchen bible!
on 13 August 2013
Hungry Student Vegetarian is one of a series of three new books priced at a highly affordable £7.99 each, they'd make an ideal gift for anyone off to university fending for themselves in the kitchen.

The three titles are Hungry Student Cookbook, Hungry Student Easy Baking and Hungry Student Vegetarian. I've even heard some supermarkets are stocking the series for a bargain £3.99. So you could buy all three for not much more than a round of drinks in the student bar.

I've cooked two recipes from the Hungry Student Vegetarian and each of them have had distinct "yum" factor whilst avoiding the need for a battery of kitchen equipment or obscure ingredients.

Lemon and courgette tart keeps things quick and easy by making use of bought puff pastry and bought pesto. After all, students are too busy studying (!) to make their own puff pastry and pesto. Possibly they'll be cooking on a regular basis for the first time. I also made the lime and coconut ice cream which was brilliant because you didn't have to faff around with making custard.

Easily achievable food for novice cooks, hungry students and families alike. These books are full colour, 50% ish of recipes are photographed. Instructions are clear and no assumptions are made about prior cooking knowledge.
on 26 October 2013
As a very fussy eater, broke student, and vegetarian, this book is heaven sent. It's really well laid out with staple recipes and useful tips. The easy to follow recipes are good, decent food that don't require a lot of equipment or out there ingredients. Very useful information for keeping it veggie, etc. Arrived right on time and in great condition. So worth it.
on 20 November 2013
Lovely pictures, easy recipes. Inspired me to cook, even though I am not a student or a vegetarian (or hungry for that matter). I didn't actually buy the book for myself. Still, I hope my daughter likes it.
on 7 October 2013
The recipes are really tasty, easy to make, some of them really different (from a meat eater too!), and the book is really good value!
on 19 August 2013
A new absolute must have for any vegetarian, lots of useful tips and some lovely staple recipes, there are some great crowd pleasers in there too, can't wait to get started with it.
on 14 February 2015
I like the "beginner's guide" section in the beginning to educate those new to the kitchen and to vegetarianism on its ABCs. It contains many easy-to-follow and tasty meal ideas. We usually succeed in our first tries.

I'm new to the UK, so a local cookbook that capitalises on readily available ingredients is exactly what I was looking. This does the job.

I'm taking away one star because I don't have an oven, so a big bulk of the book I can't really try. Although there doesn't seem to be a "Hungry and Poor Student Veg Cookbook", those of you like me who don't own an oven. Please keep this in mind.

That said, I'm still very satisfied with this book. I even bought a second one as a gift to a friend.
on 22 September 2013
same as my review of the hungry student. the book is ideal for inspiration giving simple instructions for the first time person away from home