Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2014
After looking forward to this title, after enjoying the other the books on the MkI to V, I have to admit I'm very disappointed indeed. You'd think a book entitled "Medium Mk A Whippet" would be all about said tank, however almost half the book, page 30 to 47, is taken up with medium B,C,D and Studebaker tanks, interesting as they are, they are not (in mind at least) Whippets. Another infuriating feature, common to many Osprey titles, is the excellent cut away drawing, spoilt by spreading it across two pages, with the crease running right through the middle. What is even more infuriating is that they have produced an excellent cut away picture of a Whippet in their title "Armoured Units Of The Russian Civil War - Red Army" and printed this on a single page with the key on the adjacent page. It's not all bad though, as there are some excellent period pictures and colour plates and you get a good description of how difficult it was to drive having a gear stick for each engine!! As far as I'm aware, this is the only title covering this subject, even so, my advice would be to wait until it comes down in price before adding it to your collection.
on 6 July 2014
I've been waiting for a long time for an Osprey (or any book, to be honest) dedicated to the Medium Mark A Whippet Tank, so was really looking forward to this book being released. Unfortunately, now having a copy, I have to say i'm pretty disappointed. Despite being named the Medium Mark A Whippet, it devotes a lot of the book to the Medium B, C and D, and even the US Studebaker tanks, which if the book was to be about all the Medium Tanks could at least be alluded to in the title. The usually wonderful artwork has been replaced with awful looking (in my opinion) computer generated images which do absolutely nothing for me, which seems rather odd given that Henry Morshead has in the past done very good artwork for Osprey books. Excellent text as is to be expected from Mr Fletcher which stops it being a pointless purchase, but a real missed opportunity in my opinion for a good solid all-round book on the Whippet and instead leaves me regretting paying the full price for it. If anyone was contemplating writing a book on the Whippet, the chance is still there
on 29 August 2014
This is an Osprey New Vanguard book, I know this may be stating the obvious for those familiar with these titles but I thought I should just remind the dear reader of this since this volume fits into a series of books that have a common format. That format is to be a fairly slim work but with a good deal of informative text coupled with photographs and drawings. This book benefits from the words of David Fletcher with his immense knowledge of the subject and includes excellent photographs of various incarnations of the Medium A. I found it very helpful to include information on Mediums B to D, thus giving a fuller picture of the development of the medium tanks of the period, again with some excellent pictures of these later models.

I do agree that it can be frustrating in the printed versions of these books to lose some of the cutaway picture in the spine, however I have the kindle version of this book and all the illustrations and photographs look splendid when viewing them on a PC screen in single page mode. You can also subscribe to the Osprey website for a reasonable cost where you can view the images from most of their books in large scale format, including the cutaway of the Whippet which is very clearly reproduced.

To expect this book to be the nuts and bolts biography of the Whippet in teeny, weeny detail is asking too much of this and probably any volume on the subject. I gained information from reading this work and it would be a useful addition for anyone interested in tank history or thinking of modelling the Whippet.
on 4 March 2016
A good concise history of the Mk A. I agree with some other reviews regarding the inclusion of other later marks, not exactly what I paid for, but interesting none the less. Kindle version viewed on PC based Kindle app gave good access to the diagrams and photographs, which overcame some of the negative comments about the printed edition and the interference of the books spine in the diagrams
on 4 January 2016
Covers not just the Whippet but some later British types. As ever with Osprey, great value
on 1 August 2014
I am sorry to say I do not like this book very much .
Not up to the usual standard. In my opinion the computer generated images are awful ,I much prefer the normal artwork which has always been excellent in the past. I hope this does not mean more computer images in the future?.
If so I may not purchase any more .
on 3 December 2015
Very well written book on the WW1 whippet tanks
on 5 July 2014
Excellent - the book I've been waiting for and, unlike another reviewer, I'm not disappointed. If you've read David's previous books, you'll know what to expect so purchase without fear. Fascinating subject and some photographs I've not seen before. Shame it's not ten times longer but I'm grateful for what we've got.

(Paperback, not Kindle)
on 2 July 2014
good book, well written by a brilliant author as usual.
on 22 March 2015