5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait
It took a while for this book to reach the shelves but it was well worth the wait.

Published 21 months ago by Mr. P. Fixter

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag
Thought this might be a treat for a long-term fan. Parts of it are amusing, some of the stories are unbearably true to life; lots of it seems disjointed and the language is laboured. Bits of it are downright unpleasant, snide, picky and quite cruel. The band may have passed its glory days, but there were clearly still illusions of grandeur from its lead singer. If he...
Published 23 months ago by angeleyes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, 28 Feb 2013
Mr. P. Fixter (Wakefield, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boys of Summer: A Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare with Showaddywaddy (Hardcover)

A story of 6 band members touring the country in 2005 in their mini bus, from Scotland to the south cost, and all the trials and tribulations that come with spending hours on the road only to arrive at ill equipped venues and be greeted by grumpy holiday park managers. (Although there were some good venues and nice people along the way).

An excellent read in which Dave recalls tales of close relationships with band members and road crews and members of the public.

Poor old Trev takes a bit of stick, but it's all in good humour and Dave is doing no more than recalling banter with the boys.

For anyone in a band, whether professional, a semi-professional on the club circuit, or a local covers band, you will be able to relate to many of the tales in these pages - well worth a read.

Later in 2013, Dave is releasing a new book which is more of a career-spanning story of the band, starting with their rise to fame and their 70s and 80s heyday when the band were never off TV or the radio. Now that will be interesting!

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the fans., 17 Feb 2013
On the whole I really enjoyed this book. I agree with the previous reviewer in so much as some of the language used is unnecessarily complicated and on occasion I was reaching for the thesaurus.
I found the narratives charming and witty. However, on one occasion when a certain guitarist's numerous lady friends and love of "Pierre" were referred to; it brought back some unpleasant memories.
It's obvious though that Dave has a great affection for his former colleagues and crew and any fan that has followed the lads from Lands End to John O'Groats, as I did in my youth, is sure to just love it.
Well done on a great first book and I look forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best rock books ever, 14 Sep 2013
I'm not a Showaddywaddy fan,don't own any of their music, but I don't know why,I always thought their lead singer, the author of this book, would be an interesting character, and I've been proved right. This is a fantastic read told in a wonderful style by Dave Bartram, who details the ups and very many downs of a tour of Britain's holiday camps.It may be a cliche, but this is an emotional rollercoaster of a book, it'll make you laugh and shed a tear often within the same page. I can't recommend this book highly enough, and it's now up there with Ian Hunter's 'Diary of a Rock and Roll Star' as my favourite ever book about the music business.I've read that Dave's next tome will be about his entire time with Showaddywaddy, and I'll be first in line to buy that.This is a tale that only someone with years of experiences could tell, and I for one, am glad he decided to tell it!Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars As a fan I had to get it and read it, which I am glad I did., 20 Feb 2013
I used to go to a lot of gigs in the 1990s and it gave me an insight into the group. I also knew Trevor too. I took the stories as being written tongue in cheek regarding other band members, and the book was written in a humorous way, when recounting a horrendous tour. I also managed accommodation at a couple of the caravan parks mentioned and can sympathise with where Dave is comming from, although if I had had the opportunity they would have been placed somewhere luxurious, unless... I had had a bad day!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Summertime Blues, 28 May 2013
Fantastic. A product that I can at last get my hands on and I dont have to sit quietly and turn pages. Yes folks its the Audio CD version of Showaddywaddy's Rock and Roll Nightmare Story of doing the caravan park tour of Britain. If like me it takes you ages to read a book this is a much better way to read one. Have it read to you by the author. If you havnt got time to sit with a brew and read a book you can go about your daily business and wherever you have a player (car/kitchen/other rooms/office etc) and get the lowdown on the Waddys experiences of The Caravan Park Tour. I wont spoil the story only to say its well worth the £13.34 (which I Paid)(RRP £13.99) to get the truth about what its like for an established artist to do a summer of 33 holiday camp dates. Written & Read By Author (and then lead singer - now Manager of Showaddywaddy) Dave Bartram. 240 Minutes on 3 Discs (Also includes Bonus Interview - like a DVD extra). FIVE STARS for a FIVE STAR TALE. Enjoy! ps im glad Summertime Blues (original name for the book) never surfaced as it probably woulnt have been available on Audio Disc, which as ive said is much better for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 25 May 2013
This is an abridged version to the book so I would highly recommend getting both as there are some hillarious stories in the book that aren't in the audio.

Dave writes and narrates this audio and its very funny.

Very much looking forward to Daves future books of which I hope there will be many more as his style of writing is brilliant. Both very honest and very funny.

How he was able to narrate this audio with a straight face is beyond me as its had me in stitches!

The paperback with the extra chapter in is also more than worth buying. Literally had me crying with laughter. Cannot wait for Daves next book and many more after that.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT READ, COULDENT PUT IT DOWN!!!, 19 Mar 2013
A great book that tells it like it is/was. Showaddywaddy are a british institution and this book will make you laugh out loud and cry the next page. Cant wait for his next one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 27 Jan 2013
After waiting ages to purchase and read this book, I was glad when it came out. The whole book was brillant. Well worth reading several times. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and funny!, 19 May 2013
As a fan of Showaddywaddy but one who knew nothing about their personal or professional lives, and also as someone with an interest in holiday parks, I found this a fascinating and eye-opening read. Agreed some of the words used were completely alien to my vocabulary, but it didn't hinder me getting the gist of what was being portrayed. Many times I have read reviews which say "I laughed out loud" which in my case merely raised a smile, but I can honestly say a few times in this book I literally did laugh out loud. I couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end. Very easy reading and all of it was interesting. Well done Dave and I can't wait until your next book!

PS: Just to update this review, after finishing the book I had to read it a second time very shortly afterwards, which is almost unheard of for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 14 May 2013
Loved the band in the 70's n loved the book. Dave is one hell of a decent chap and writes an entertaining line or two...... Oh and we all know the holiday company who sports the Pink Elephant who treated our Teenage heroes so badly. Mmmm not the best business decision ya muppets !!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›