Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 July 2014
Monsoon mists is third book in the epic Kinross series, that started with Trade winds and then Highland storms. It can be read as a stand alone, but I suggest you read them in order. I can guarantee you won’t want to miss any part of this majestic saga.

Sweeping the globe, James reaches India, hoping to escape his troubled past. He meets Zarmina and their turbulent romance tries to gain a foot hold against all odds.

Monsoon mists is full of intrigue and adventure, enough to keep any reader hooked from the first page. At its core is a heart warming romance that will melt the most stoic of hearts.

Christine Courtenay is an author of impeccable talent and her books have become a bench mark for quality and exceptional detailed stories. If you haven’t read any of her other novels, I can highly recommend all her works.

The Kinross series is an exciting romantic series that should not be missed. Five stars are not enough to extol how highly I rate this series.
on 10 October 2014
If Monsoon Mists were a box of delicious chocolates I would have eatent the contents in one day. As it was, unable to stop turning the pages, and read it in one day.

I like romantic historical fiction which has been so well-researched that I do not have to suspend my belief.

In Christina Courtenay’s words “this book could not have been written without the superb diary of one man – Christopher Hinric Braad (b.1728- d.1781). A Swede who travelled with the Swedish East India Company on some of their journeys to the Far East. He kept the most meticulous journals you could possibly imagine, which were invaluable to me in trying to describe the city of Surat in the late 1750’s” …”His journal contains not only copious notes and descriptions, but also superb drawings of all manner of things – fish, plants, buildings and places. These too hel[ped me immensely in picturing the sights the hero of my story would have seen during his travels.”

Monsoon Mists is a stand alone novel, the third in a trilogy. Jamie Kinross flees his past from Smaland in Sweden to India where he studies gem cutting. When his teacher’s family is kidnapped he sets out for Surat to meet conditions for their release. In Surat where he encounters Zarmina Miller, widowed daughter of an Englishman and a Parsee woman. There are many men who want to marry beautiful, wealthy Zarmina but she spurns them all thus earning the nickname “The Ice Widow”.

At first, Zarminder spurns Jamie, but he is so different to other men who want to marry her that against her will she slowly thaws toward him.

Jamie has more than Zarminder on his mind. He must complete his mission and ensure that his teacher’s wife and children are released unharmed. Before this can be accomplished Zarminder has become involved in Jamie’s undertaking.

My only quibble is that throughout the novel the dialogue is too modern for the era. A few apt words and phrases used in the 1750’s would have been welcome. However, their lack did not in any way spoil my enjoyment of the novel.

Highly reccommended.
on 17 August 2014
I've known Jamie Kinross since he was a baby, and always had a soft spot for him - as indeed I have for his father and brother. Jamie's story is everything I hoped it would be, and Christina Courtenay's unique style is stamped firmly on it. Christina's heroes are always to die for, and her heroines are always feisty and likeable. I've never been to India, and the beautifully descriptive prose was perfect, enabling me to visualise clearly the places in the novel.

Needless to say, five stars from me. I'd give it more if I could.
on 18 January 2016
What an atmospheric book! The descriptions of the setting were vivid an entrancing.
I read Highland Storms (featuring the big brother of the hero in this book) and really enjoyed it. Monsoon Mists stars Jamie Kinross - whose story was hinted at in Highland Storms, but is explained in this one - and Zarmina Miller - beautiful, damaged and mixed race (which was a big deal at the time).

I enjoyed the story a lot. Zar is spirited without being annoying and she's really, REALLY good at her job. I like that. Jaime is... well, a little too perfect for my tastes - he's a gem expert, he's noble, he can speak several languages, he can hold is own in a fight, he's a skilled but considerate lover. Written out like that he does sound like a pretty great hero...must just be me. Wouldn't be the first time I've been told my taste in men is odd - I'm a beta hero kinda girl.

All in all, it's a lovely book. If you're following the stories of the Kinross boys, you'll really enjoy this. And it's got pirates in it. Who doesn't love a book with pirates in it?
on 7 November 2014
I am a fan of Christina Courtenay’s writing and was delighted when her latest book, Monsoon Mists was released. My favourite settings for historical fiction are Ireland and Scotland but I was enchanted by the exotic location of this novel. The author’s vivid, sensual writing style brought eighteenth century India alive for me.
The book is a love story set against an action packed plot. I was as captivated by the company rivalries and jostling for control of the cut throat gem trade as I was by the love story. The romantic side of the story develops slowly as the main characters gradually realise their attraction to each other and hesitantly explore love and desire. I found the love scenes tender and almost innocent as well as passionate – a very old fashioned courtship – which was delightful.
Since I’ve already read Highland Storms and Trade Winds I enjoyed discovering “the other brother’s” story in Monsoon Mists. Readers will enjoy this book as a standalone romance or as part of the trilogy of the Kinross family. I heartily recommend it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2015
Monsoon Mists is a entertaining romp through romantic, exotic India of the 1700s. A Scotsman has left a tragic family situation to start afresh and determinedly learns the gem trade from the ground up.

With a stolen maharajah's family talisman, pirates, villainy, a widow who is of two races and less in need of a husband than a friend, we get swept along in the excitement. I thought that, for the times, our hero is a little too aware of the niceties when taking a small street thief girl into his household; he and his staff are concerned for what seems appropriate, but this is a modern convention, welcome though the solution may have been to everyone.

Monsoon Mists is great fun and ideal for the armchair traveller or lover of historical romance and adventure.
on 2 December 2014
I really enjoyed this passionate romance between bad boy Jamie Kinross and headstrong widow Zarmina Miller. The backdrop of the jewellery trade is fascinating, and the Surat setting almost steals the show. You can literally feel the relentless heat on your skin, smell the spices, hear the cacophony of the market, touch the exquisite silks of Zarmina's dresses, and so on. It's an exotic, tactile read.
A mischievous orphan and an unruly mutt complete the motley crew who have many dangers to face. Delightful.
on 18 March 2016
The final part of the trilogy concerning the Kinross family covering 3 generations. I have enjoyed immensely the adventures of these characters, really exciting story lines, and such a wonderful achievement by Christina Courtenay to be able to leave readers craving for more - I hope it will not be too long before there will be more of her novels to enjoy. I can recommend all of this author's books most highly.
on 27 July 2014
Christina has great skill as a story teller, incorporating tension and skilled plotting with characters both endearing and evil. I loved the little girl and her dog, as well as the main characters. Also I enjoy a story where the background or setting teaches me something I didn't know and I believe this author must be very diligent with research.
on 24 July 2014
I have enjoyed this book so very much as with the Trade Winds and Highland Storms it was extremely well researched and written. Christina has away of drawing you into a story and not letting go until the end. I would say her books are like a good wine, full of character and meant to be savoured.