5.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced, enthralling end to the trilogy.
The Barrowmans have done it again! I received my book yesterday and could not put it down. A well crafted, fast paced enthralling end to the trilogy and the twins adventure. I'm so pleased this won't be the last that we hear of the twins and can't wait to read their further adventures. A story that is suitable for all children and adults! I definitely recommend it!
Published 5 months ago by Miss_Chinarose

3.0 out of 5 stars THE BOOK OF BEASTS.
After Hollow Earth and Bone Quill we have Hollow Earth the final book in the trilogy. A trilogy that it has to be said is definitely one of those that needs to be read in order.

Published 2 months ago by Tracy Terry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced, enthralling end to the trilogy., 29 Jun 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars THE BOOK OF BEASTS., 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Book of Beasts (Hollow Earth) (Paperback)

An OK read with what I felt to be a fitting end to an enjoyable enough series. Whilst the end of the trilogy I did feel that there is some scope for further adventures ... or was that just wishful thinking?

Geared towards 'tweenagers' (perhaps even younger, more confident readers) and upwards, one of the things I loved about all three books was that they should appeal to both boys and girls. Filled with just enough peril to suit a generation renowned for their love of computerised games (for such is the style of much of the action) without being too graphic so why my reservations?

With short and snappy chapters anywhere between just over a page to almost four pages long the story traversed 'present day London', 'present day Edinburgh', 'fourteen years earlier', as well as a 'present day' and 'Middle Age' Auchinmurn Isle.

Arguably not the strongest book in the series. Slightly confusing at times - it got even more so when at one point the novel saw several different events all occurring on the Middle Ages Auchinmurn Isle. I could well imagine younger readers getting lost off and felt that combined with the shorter chapters it meant that the narrative didn't flow as well as it might otherwise have done.

And why the addition of such a wonderful character as Henrietta (the arch-villain's mother and Matt and Emily's grandmother) who is capable of bending the minds of 'lesser mortals' at such a late stage?

Still, an innovative read - I certainly hadn't come across Animares before. Well worth keeping a look out for if you are into mystical beasts and the like.

Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars "BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU FIGHT THE MONSTERS LEST YOU BECOME ONE." Friedrich Nietzsche (Mild Spoilers), 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Book of Beasts (Hollow Earth) (Paperback)
The Book of Beasts began at a steady pace and never dipped once, although I admit to a little confusion about Carik but that was my fault, I'd plum forgotten she existed.

The battle to protect the book and the secrets of the Isle involve a lot of people, and most you've already read about in the previous two books, short of a few Avada Kedavra's and flashes of wands, and darting about on broomsticks, The Hollow Earth trilogy is as action packed as the final onslaught at Hogwarts, with everything happening and mystical beasts, and lots of conjuring.
Yet it was a delightful journey, delightful and ever so scary in places, and painful to read given the punishment certain characters were enduring. It was full of history from the Middle Ages and all the questions you had in the previous two books will be answered in the final, and I had a lot of questions!!!

Having watched enough scary monster films in my time, it wasn't too difficult to imagine what the dark figure looked like beneath the hooded cloak. It wasn't too difficult either to imagine the creatures it conjured up. There were a lot of other kinds of conjuring that occurred that to tell you would only spoil it, but if you were ever in trouble and you needed to escape you'd really wish you had the gift of an Animare to achieve it.

When John and Carole E Barrowman thought up this story I wonder if they ever imagined how popular the stories would become and just how many adults would read their books given that they're for children!!!

They've been a pleasure to read, and the best thing about these books are that, just like the Famous Five, and Harry Potter novels, knowing that you're aware of the ending, you'll never grow tired of re-reading them.
Thank you John and Carole, now please if JK Rowling can write more Harry Potter, I'm sure you can conjure up another Matt and Em story, involving Jeannie, and The Abbey family!

5.0 out of 5 stars barrowman masterpiece (not first not last), 26 Sep 2014
Sarah Hill "with stars" (London) - See all my reviews
Epic finale of the trilogy! Well worth the wait and suspenae from end of Bone Quill. Took off at ridiculous speed maintaining momentum throughout with constant threat, isolation between centuries, trying to identify those who can be trusted, physical peril+ betrayal of parent+child.
It was a masterpiece, because I was still wonderinf about this book weeks later. The world gets under your skin... Well what if I was a guardian and that explains my connection with
..... And I how influential we are on each other... I was told it was heightened empathy.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic third book, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Book of Beasts (Hollow Earth) (Paperback)
Third book in the Hollow Earth series. It was gift for my grandson who has read the first two. he has been waiting anxiously for this and was thrilled to receive it for his birthday. Wonderful storyline, characters and we all hope there will be more of the same from John and Carol Barrowman soon

5.0 out of 5 stars but like the first 2 books it grips you, 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Book of Beasts (Hollow Earth) (Paperback)
Only half way through at time of posting this review, but like the first 2 books it grips you. If you have a good imagination you can picture whats going on in your head.Great story well done John& Carol.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd in the series of great books!, 7 July 2014
As the 3rd book in the series, it is just as exciting as the previous two, well written and holds my attention, hope they write some more together too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good final book in the series, 20 July 2014
A good final book in the series. Nicely ended. I wonder if there is another story to look forward to when the children have grown up into adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 21 July 2014
Have thoroughly enjoyed the Hollow Earth trilogy and the adventures that Matt and Em got up to. Well written by John and Carole

5.0 out of 5 stars Please write another..., 8 Nov 2014
Well it ended as it started leaving me wanting more. As with Harry Potter I was drawn in from the first and saddened when it ended and so hoping they would continue. I highly recommend this trilogy of books to be read by young and old. You can tell it was written by siblings and can imagine the characters of Matt and Em are extensions of John and Carole. I hope they do more. If you like fantasy then these are the books for you...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Book of Beasts (Hollow Earth)
The Book of Beasts (Hollow Earth) by Carole E. Barrowman (Paperback - 17 July 2014)