5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure chest of stories
This is a huge, beautiful collection! An excellent range of stories, with all the big hitters you'd hope for included and some new gems to discover. Its something to dip in and out of. I've got the hardback because I love to have it on my shelf, but I could imagine the kindle would work too as its so huge and heavy you can only read it for so long!

A book to...
Published 9 months ago by Vanity Fair

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you can get it cheap.
Mixed bag. Some decent stories in there, but lots of 'I have an idea for a time travel invention, so I'll just wrap the flimsiest narrative around it so I can tell people about my invention'. So you finish the story with a 'is that it?'.
Published 1 month ago by MR S C SMITH

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure chest of stories, 20 Nov 2013

A book to treasure, makes a great gift too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best collection of stories for a long time !, 26 Jan 2014
Being an avid sci-fi fan, I'm always on the look out for a book large enough to lose myself in for a good length of time and worth coming back to time and again, and this one certainly fills those criteria.

Having read and re-read H.G. Wells collection of short stories interminably since my youth, I'm so pleased to have another in the same league. Yes, there are stories in it I've read before but that was inevitable but there are also plenty I haven't. On Kindle it's not as wrist breaking as the book itself must be with this much content but I feel I'll also be buying the real book to go on my library shelves as, like H.G. Wells, I'm sure it will become a firm friend. Best collections of short stories for a long while, I heartily recommend it to all sci-fi fans and chrononauts in particular.. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars In Search of Crossed Time, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Time Traveller's Almanac: The Ultimate Treasury of Time Travel Fiction - Brought to You from the Future (Hardcover)
"He...remembered the future with increasing melancholy." -- C.J. Cherryh

After their definitive international anthology of horror and dark fantasy, The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories, I was wondering what the Vandermeers would do for an encore. That turns out to be a 960-page time travel fantasy anthology chock full of stories most of us won't have read before.

Note the word "fantasy." The editors have deliberately downplayed what they call the "decidedly science-fictional" time paradox story (epitomized by the absent "By His Bootstraps" and "-All You Zombies-") in favor of fantasy stories with time travel backgrounds: their preface namechecks 11.22.63, The Time Traveler's Wife, and How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe -- a thriller, a romance, and a comedy, all bestsellers, none of them marketed as science fiction -- as examples of where the time travel story has gone to find a popular audience these days. (That doesn't even include Hollywood, where time travel has never gone out of fashion.)

Only "A Sound of Thunder," "Vintage Season," a four-page excerpt from THE TIME MACHINE, and perhaps Ursula Le Guin's "Another Story, or A Fisherman of the Inland Sea" will be overfamiliar to SF readers. Otherwise there's a staggering list of writing talent on display, much of it plucked from out-of-print books and online magazines. Shuffled into four broad categories separated by brief nonfiction interludes (Jason Heller on music, Genevieve Valentine on fashion, Stan Love on the science of time travel, and Charles Yu, typically for this author, on introspective self-analysis), the Vandermeers have assembled an anthology that'll keep the reader pleasurably occupied for weeks. If one makes the time for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well curated collection, 14 Dec 2013
Many of these short stories will be familiar to SF hard nuts (a lot won't!). Not read it all yet, but seems to have been lovingly curated by the editors, providing author bios and notes, and other extraneous bits and bobs.

If you are a SF fan this will revisit the old and explore the new. If you are relatively new to the genre enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressive Collection, 18 Dec 2013
I have always been facinated about stories involving time travel and so collect up books whenever I spot one. Consequently over the years I have amassed quite a collection myself of Time Travel related stories. I can catagorically say therefore that this (in my opinion) is the best collection of Time Travel books I have ever stumbled across and I wholeheartedly encourage anyone into Science Fiction to get this collection. What you will receive is a brilliant well thought out collection of the best time travel related stories..and each story has a great preface about the author who wrote it. Combine all this with an e-book with a proper table of contents and you have something difficult to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous selection, 25 Jan 2014
An very well chosen selection of stories, not a duffer among them. A great book to dip in and out of.

5.0 out of 5 stars enough to keep me reading for a good long while, 3 July 2014
fabulous collection of stories; enough to keep me reading for a good long while. Bargain price too. Thanks Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection., 2 July 2014
Great collection of stories it would be hard to find separately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely mix to get your brain working, 19 Jun 2014
Lovely mix of stories with lots of twists and turns. Will change the way you look at time travel novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation book, 4 Jun 2014
The subject of time travel has always fascinated me.so when I saw this book and the price ,it was a no brainer.there were stories I loved,and ones I didn't.that it what was great about it.
If you didn't like one story flick to the next one. I was also fascinated with all the different versions of time travel stories.highly recommended.just think as I was writing this it was the future and when I have stopped it will be the past.the way I see time anyway is one endless loop.enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›