4.0 out of 5 stars First in Donovan Creed series, new author to me
Published on 27 May 2011 by Ann Roberts

2.0 out of 5 stars Struggled with this one!
I read a lot of books of this genre, and most of the time I can understand the motivations of the characters.

With this one, however, not only did I not really understand the motivations of Donovan Creed, I didn't "get" him at all. I couldn't really connect on any level with the character, which completely spoilt my enjoyment of the book.

The book...
Published on 7 Mar. 2011 by Speaks

4.0 out of 5 stars First in Donovan Creed series, new author to me, 27 May 2011
Ann Roberts (East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Well, I have read hundreds of crime/murder genre books, so am always on the lookout for a new author. I have been given a Kindle for my birthday recently, so set about acquiring books to install. I always read reviews when available & thought I'd give these a try, so bought the series. First novel in the series, Lethal People, was an enjoyable read. A different style, a very different lead character & a very easy, quick read. Liked the theme of the book & the novel characters. A stretch of the imagination & an unbelievable (as in unlikely) story, but I read for escapism so can expand from the norm.

I would recommend this book for people who can enjoy an easy read, who aren't too pedantic about crime "fiction" & can accept something different. Started the next novel in series straight away.

2.0 out of 5 stars Struggled with this one!, 7 Mar. 2011
Speaks (Gods own country) - See all my reviews

The book itself was adequately written, no great shakes to be honest, not sure whether this is part of a series of books, or the first, but the covers of the following books completely turn me off - they look cheap. I will not be reading any more in the series, even though they are currently Kindle price 70p.

All in all, not a wholly enjoyable read - I've read worse but not interested enough to shell out less that a pound for any of the next books.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure how I feel?, 24 Mar. 2011
Roger Cave - See all my reviews
Mmm, where to begin. Firstly, if someone tells you this is something like Lee Childs Reacher novels, it isn't true.

But did I like the book? And I must admit I'm struggling with this. The lead character isn't someone to sympathise with, in fact, he isn't very pleasant. He works for the CIA and works in counter terrorism, which seems fine, but then he also takes on contracts to wack people from crime bosses. It's the latter of these which causes the issue, he's killing "nice" people, just for the money.
Somehow, it does make it rather unpalletable, especially after the extreme opposite of the way he treats his daughter.
I don't want to give too much away, but it's a bizarre story, hard to love, but entertaining at the same time.

I think it's like marmite, you'll either love it or hate it. Perhaps try the sample first to see if it's to your taste.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really dire!, 17 April 2012
Kimberley (London, England) - See all my reviews
John Locke is a very successful author who has publicly stated that he likes it when people trash his books. Good, because there is nothing positive I can say about this one. He likes to make out he writes "cool" books, and that people who like his work are "cool" people. This is his first mistake. This book is laborious, long winded, badly written, derivative and dull. He takes a page to tell us what a better writer could tell us in three lines. I downloaded this because I realise he is very popular. But why? Please someone tell me why. I wasn't expecting Spillane, but I was expecting a fun, swiftly moving crime story that would entertain, unfortunately my expectations were dashed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written disposable fiction, 7 Jun. 2011
Reading other reviews, you will probably have an idea of what you're getting. Hovering just outside the boundaries of plausibility, this is nonetheless a very entertaining read.

Perhaps best read for the ride rather than for any literary reasons but don't underestimate the ability of the author. He can write and does write very well, the story is enjoyable, characters and plot are both well developed and it is no less believable than a Bond movie. It's certainly true that his day-job is easier on the mind than his little extras but you still end up routing for him and perhaps the best recommendation is that I have downloaded the second novel and intend to work through them all.

The cover photo leads you to expect something a little different, it's not a very sexual novel, and the official product review really does no favours at all. However, two facts to close the review - firstly at this price you will certainly not be disappointed and secondly, one of John Locke's book is downloaded every 7 seconds apparently so something must be right.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great entertaining read, 23 Feb. 2011
I enjoy action type books and when I read previous reviews on John Locke's Donovan Creed Novels I thought why not?

It did stretch the boundaries on a number of occasions with regards to some of the characters and the fact that his employers knew he was contract killer in his spare time but it is a spanking good read.

I could not put it down and getting for my kindle for pence made it a great buy.

I have downloaded all the others in the series and am raring to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd, Unique, Fast Paced, Did I Mention Odd?, 15 April 2012
We meet Donovan Creed right away and a small group of friends or associates, depending on how you look at it. He is an assassin working for a couple different groups with differing agendas. There are twists and turns throughout, and you never know what will happen next.

The characters are quirky and interesting, especially Creed. Locke has an uncanny ability to create unique characters. Each has something about them that makes it hard for the reader to forget, sometimes physical, sometimes emotional or psychological.

I felt the characterization was also a weak point. The female characters were unique as well, but sometimes I felt their motives were a little off. They did things and responded in ways that I'm not sure a woman would. I mean this from a psychological standpoint. Obviously, if a woman in his book is an assassin she will probably kill somebody. It was in the subtleties, the slight differences that makes a woman a woman. I believe this was one of his earlier books so I'm sure he only gets better.

The plot and pacing were great. His writing wasn't extravagant but it didn't matter. It was a page turner, and simple to read, perfect for the price.

The series isn't what I usually look for in a book, but for the price, and the quality of the story he told, it's hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read !!, 28 Jan. 2011
I purchased this book, the first in the Donovan Creed series, after reading the reviews on this and the other Donovan Creed novels. I was not disappointed.
The book has numerous unexpected twists and these, combined with the humour scattered throughout. kept me riveted until the end. I have purchased the rest of the series and can`t wait to get started.
Give this book a chance ........ you wont be disappoined !!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay if you don't have anything else to read, 20 Nov. 2011
Kiki Lauren (Boston, MA, USA and London, UK) - See all my reviews
I read this on a flight to Europe and it kept me diverted, even if it isn't great literature. One thing I'll give Locke: he keeps things lively. Beatings, things blowing up, fires, sex, shootings, torture, more sex and a bunch of midgets. I'm not sure what the hysteria is about over this man's books, because this was okay if you don't have anything else to read, but doesn't have much else to recommend it. It's as if he took a potpourri of every conceivable character type and incident you find in a thriller, then added in some you'd never thought of, and mixed them together.

His hero, Donovan Creed, is a bonafide psychopath, who kills at any whim, and anybody he feels like killing, when it aids his motives. Not a warm and fuzzy guy you can identify with easily, even though he's got a thing for puppies. Try this if you're bored. I might try another if I am.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good place to start, 20 July 2011
Ok - so it's not David Mitchell or Dostoevsky - but sometimes I just want to be entertained without working too hard, and this does it for me. I think this is the first book in a (mostly) entertaining series. True, the main character does kill people for a living - and this may not sit very well with some people - but he does have some redeeming aspects, greatest of which is his wit and ebulient enthusiasm. The author had fun writing this book and it shines through whilst you read it. Characters are well developed ( albeit a bit tongue in cheek ) and the story ticks along nicely. You could see it as childish - but I would say that anything that takes me out of my sensible, responsible, adult world for an hour or two, and gives me a few chuckles is welcome in my life.

Lethal People (Donovan Creed)
Lethal People (Donovan Creed) by John Locke (Paperback - 25 Oct. 2012)