1,427 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Mr Masterton - I've been expecting you
I've been a fan of Graham Masterton for more than 20 years since picking up Mirror as a present for my 14th Birthday
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning - read some reviews before buying this book!
Published 18 months ago by Flowerfairy68

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Mr Masterton - I've been expecting you, 10 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
However, for the last few years I have drifted away from him as his later books were frankly, just not up to his normal standard. So like all relationships which break down I remembered the good times and tried to move on with my life and started seeing other authors behind his back

By pure chance I discovered this book the day before it was released so had an exciting night. Could I forgive Graham his wrongdoings and let him back in my life? Oh Hell yes!

Originally published as A Terrible Beauty (mainly in America) a different publishing house saw this as part of a potential series featuring the Irish detective Katie Maguire and so changed the name, reissued it and voila. The first in a new series

I really enjoyed this book, and it did remind me of the good old times. His style of writing is fast and pacey, the characters became known easily, there is gore and torture and twists and turns - oh Graham I'm sorry I doubted you
Interwoven are elements of Celtic mythology which while exaggerated for literary purposes are based on fact (mythological fact, you understand)

The ending was very satisfactory and while occasionally in the book certain elements are wrapped up a little bit too neatly, this shouldn't distract you from what is essentially a decent horror novel

I can't wait for the next one, and hope you enjoy this one as well

4.0 out of 5 stars White Bone Gripping Tale, 1 Mar 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a fan of Graham Masterton's I always loved the details he worked into his horror stories, they gave a real sense of history weaving mysticism, urban fantasy in with a cast of characters that reads route for throughout. So when I heard that he was bringing a Crime title to the fore, I really couldn't wait but there's always a bit of apprehension when a known author changes tack as well as genre, that they won't please you as much as they have done previous.

What Graham brings to the reader is a cracking tale of murder, with some sleight of hand, top notch characters and when you also get the added bonus of Irish slang which gives some authority to it all, really makes this something special. Finally throw into the mix great prose, some wonderful turns of phrase and of course dialogue that just melts into the imagination, all round made me a very happy reader.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning - read some reviews before buying this book!, 17 May 2013
This book started off well. I enjoy a good thriller and don't mind a bit of gore however nothing prepared me for the horror of the torture scenes of the young traveller. This book is truly disturbing and should be in the graphic horror category. I wish I had read some reviews before downloading this book as I would not have bought it. I have only read a quarter but feel I cannot carry on. Why anyone would want to read about the pain, despair and suffering of a young woman is beyond me. It's gratuitous and sickening. Be warned!

4.0 out of 5 stars From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump, 13 Mar 2013
Not being a fan of crime/horror I have not come across Graham Masterton before now but couldn't resist either the blurb or the 0.85p download offer. I was not disappointed. Mr. Masterton's 5 year sojourn in Cork shows in the authenticity of his dialogue, place and time, but his American spelling lets him down especially in the word 'Traveler'which occurs throughout the book...and nobody in Cork would call a cupboard 'a cupboard'! Looking forward to more Katie Maguire.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horror Story, 1 April 2013
I didn't like this story at all. I felt it should be under the Horror section rather than a thriller. I am an avid reader of almost all kinds of book, and am not at all squeamish but I feel that the descriptions of the 'surgery' carried out on the kidnap victims was a bridge too far - too much information and not necessary to the storyline. I'm not sure if I will read any more of this author's books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it!, 13 May 2013
I bought this book on the basis of the good reviews it received but decided to abandon it at the '20% read' stage. Having now looked back at the reviews again I wish I had checked some of them more thoroughly and then I would probably have realised that this book is far too sadistic for my liking. I think I might have enjoyed the tale and the writing style but I just can't get past the descriptions of the torture. I love a good thriller and, usually, violence per se doesn't put me off, but I - like others - don't feel that the level of descriptive detail used for the ritual torture scenes is warranted. This isn't an author I will read again as I value a good night's sleep! Having said all that I still give the book three stars because aside from the goriness I was quite enjoying it.

1.0 out of 5 stars White Bones - Horrendous, 18 Mar 2013
Like a previous reviewer I was disgusted by the graphic description in this book! It was excruciating to read and I gave up after the continual torture of the young victim! I am an avid fan of this genre and have read all the Reichs, Cornwall and Gerritsen books etc , but these have not prepared me for the laboured cruelty in White Bones. The books description did not suggest the horrific scenes in the book so I hope this review will inform help readers make a better informed choice. I have actually deleted this book as I did not want to be reminded of its content every time I switched on my kindle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you up at night!, 14 Mar 2013
I was hoping that this book might mirror other psychological crime thrillers that I've enjoyed but, after several chapters, I realised I was embarking on a horror novel which is not my cup of tea. Some scenes were so sick that it gave me a physical reaction; clamminess, sweats, increased heart rate etc; I couldn't sleep at night with my imagination running riot; too horrible for words. I think the book should come with a warning because I would not have bought the book had I known the gruesome extent of it. Its a shame actually because the writing style is excellent and I really want to know what happens (just without the gory details). I shut the book at chapter 15 and will be deleting it off my kindle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nasty, trivial and patronising, 27 July 2013
Mr. Stephen Edwards "se1955" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I rarely, if ever, give one star reviews.

I downloaded this in a hurry whilst on holiday. I wish I had read more of the reviews.

I agree with the complaints about the completely unnecessarily graphic descriptions of torture, but beyond that, this book has a stupid plot, in which the 'twist' is obvious. The writing is like a second-rate travel brochure, and the story relies upon a series of utterly unbelievable acts of incompetence by the police. The constant attempts at 'Oirishness' are patronising.

All in all one of the most hopeless books I have ever bought.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypes Galore (and rather Gruesome), 1 Mar 2014
I rarely write reviews, but this book made me absolutely seethe. I couldn't believe that it was written by someone who had actually lived in Cork for years. It was full of stereotypes and felt absolutely patronising. I suppose that at least they tried to throw in Cork slang, but they used it to such a ridiculous extent - as if they were trying to fit as many Cork words as possible - that made it seem more like a parody of the way that people really speak in Cork. After I finished reading it, I had to check and see when it was published and I couldn't believe that it was as recent as 2013. It wasn't just little things like the fact that the smoking ban's been around since about 2004, but (apart from how patronising it was) the Ireland in the book is that typical of the ever-prevalent imaginings of Ireland that leaves us stuck in the 50s (Yes - I am thinking of the 2010 film Leap Year).

Also, as many other reviewers have previously mentioned, it is rather gruesome. It is much more gruesome than any crime book that I have read, and crime fiction is one of my favourite genres. I was not surprised in the least to find that the author had previously written horror books - he remains true to that genre.

White Bones (Katie Maguire)
White Bones (Katie Maguire) by Graham Masterton (Paperback - 29 Aug 2013)