on 20 March 2016
This book was an eye-opener for me. Having reached 60 still with a tendency to binge eat, I really wanted to know where the urge came from, and this book told me. In a nutshell we are born oversensitive, then we experience childhood trauma, which produces lifelong unbearable feelings which we learn to anaesthetise with booze, sugar, drugs, sex, spending, gambling etc. Knowing it starts with a genetic element helps me realise that it will never go away and that I need constant vigilance to protect myself, where previously I'd hoped to throw it off and just be like my husband, who eats chocolate about once a month! This will never happen, but I am committed now to compassionate caring for my food intake, for life. The genetic legacy also explains why my daughter has struggled with bulimia, and why my son ended up taking his own life after racking up massive gambling debts. Oh yes, and my dad was an alcoholic too! With the correct information, I can proceed. A very readable and highly informative book for anyone addicted to anything at all.
on 8 August 2014
Don't be fooled by the somewhat flippant title - this book is a little gem. It has real insight into the world of addiction - probably because the author was an addict himself. I don't think anyone who isn't, can write as convincingly on the subject, or with such perception. He puts forward two good main theories - the main one being that addicts brain wiring makes them super sensitive to emotional distress. This he suggests, may go back to the time of prehistoric man. The other theory is our need of others - our co-dependence - and seeing this as a good rather than bad thing. If you are troubled by addiction, do read this book!
on 19 June 2014
I heard about this book in Hay House Radio and I have found this book to be fascinating right from the very first pages.
I have had the understanding that my addiction to nicotine has an underlying emotional issue. Drinking wine every night I have always associated with a style of life. The question is " what is wrong with me that I need to alter my state of being through some substances" The book helps me to look at my addiction through a different perspective, Even reading about heroin that I have never been exposed to has the healing ability on me. The book creates a sense of understanding of what does it mean to be a human, how our emotions, sensitivity or even childhood traumas have an effect on us. I believe that we need to understand addiction, how it works and what it covers up to be able to be free from it. A brilliant work done by Mr David Smallwood and I so agree with him that there is no a problem that can not be cured by a shopping trip to Selfridges. Haha, how do I know that. Well, now I know better. Thank you to Mr David Smallwood for sharing his knowledge and expertises with us.

Ps. It is a dangers book in a sense of showing other addiction in your life that you have not been consciously aware of :)

Read this book, you deserve the understanding. You deserve a better life. A good life.
on 3 September 2015
Just brilliant. Everyone should read this whether you feel you have issues or not. So fascinating. It's about humanity in general as well.
on 14 November 2015
Excellent, easy to read book that gives a really good insight into addiction of all types.
on 11 April 2016
Just brilliant, makes you understand so much more. I wish I had read it sooner.
on 22 April 2015
Great book. Very insightful into the topic of addiction.
on 16 July 2014
This is a superb book which provides a great insight into addiction the causes and what you can do about it.

In short, a must buy for anyone who is, may be related to to or is living with an addict.
on 13 July 2014
I wonder if I would go so far as to say this book itself is addictive. I think I in fact would. Although then again it would be perfectly plausible to hypothesise that it is in fact not the book which is causing the seeming dependency but in fact something caused by psychological and emotional factors - a result of an underlying spiritual malady, if you will.

However, I would personally expect that even someone who is not even on the sidelines of the addict spectrum would find this interesting, informative and personal book quite absorbing, to say the least. Do yourself a favour and buy it!

peace.
on 16 July 2014
Very well written and interesting.