5.0 out of 5 stars Grab your pen!
This book came my way providentially. My heart needed a lot of healing and letting go of old wounds.
So as Louise Hay and David Kessler would put it in the form of affirmation, all people and all situations are delivering me towards my higher good.
Published 10 months ago by Acquafortis

A self help book that's basically a series of case histories followed by positive affirmations that, if meditated upon and repeated often enough, will help change the negative thought processes surrounding grief and turn the experience into something positive.

That's the theory.

There are 7 key categories;

Changing Our Thoughts about...
Published 8 months ago by JK

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab your pen!, 4 Feb 2014
An easy book to read, chapters divided into short sections, gentle in its words, respectful of the matter being discussed but firm in showing the path to self-empowerment and healing.
This book deals with all that has to do with losses that clog our hearts leaving it blocked and shrivelled for years causing prolonged sadness, anger and a complete disappointment in life. An ever bleeding wound that will not let us live our life to its completeness.
It is only through thoroughly honouring our losses, live in and move through the grievance that we can slowly change our usually biased perception of what has happened. Repeated affirmations will slowly dissolve away our negative thoughts. Healing will bring us to a place where we can safely let go of pain and sorrow leaving us free to hold our love as a beacon to all that, who and what we loved and cherished in this lifetime.
The book makes no distinction between mayor or minor loss. The heart does not make that difference. Besides the classical losses of death, divorce and broken relationships of all kinds, the book dedicates a whole section on disenfranchised grief, that is that grief for which people do not feel they have a socially recognized right to grieve such as, LGBT relationships, loss of pets (a whole chapter is dedicated), abortion or miscarriages, suicide, drug/disease related deaths, loss of jobs or a kind of life that can never be again like it was before, such as cancer patients.
The beauty of this book is that it lovingly points out many times that all our interrelations and exchanges with and within this world are assigned to us for our own healing. That relationships and events are our guides and teachers that the Universe uses to help us discover within ourselves the Divine and the Power we all carry within and rarely acknowledge.
So now grab your pen and several Post-it and start writing your way out of grieve and your way in to your true free loving self.

3.0 out of 5 stars New Age theory that looks to positive thinking and the Universe for solutions., 24 April 2014
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

That's the theory.

The Death of a Loved One
Honoring Pet Loss
Other Loves, Other Losses
You Can Heal Your Heart

The book promises enlightenment and offers to reveal a method of transcending the cycle of grief that will move you on and prevent you becoming stuck in the grieving process. The method here is so incredibly simple; positive reinforcement (repeating the same phrases often enough until you eventually begin to believe them) is all you need to heal yourself when someone/something you love has gone. It's not enough.

It's so hard to review this slightly odd blend of super sugary/humanist/spiritual teaching. I'm less than convinced anyone can achieve this 'complete' healing process with absolutely no practical guide on how to get there.

Much of the content is purely common sense, we all understand the concept of positive thinking, and the case histories are sickly sweet and offer impractical solutions; emailing everyone in the community to let them know your dog has died is such a lovely thing if you live in a tiny village. For those living in the centre of London, or any other huge City, it's fantasy.

This is purely 'New Age' teaching. The constant references to the Universe, this isn't a book that looks to God for a solution, and it's individual plans for each and every person on the planet isn't for the practically minded.

Promises much but delivers little,

I'm leaving 3* out of respect for the growing trend in alternative belief systems and my own personal belief that we should all be free to read what we want and follow our own path.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to recover from loss..., 12 Jun 2014
John "John75222" (Leeds, Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Kuhbler-Ross is legendary in the field of loss and grief. David Kessler worked with her and lends his expertise and gravitas in this field to complement Louise Hay's life affirmation approach to surviving the end of a relationship and becoming at peace with yourself - the type of relationship that's ended is really immaterial, it could be anything that involves loss not just those included in the title. At times the book feels a little simplistic but it isn't, it's just been written in a very accessible way to help people see that there is hope, and that sometimes how and what we are thinking at times of grief can magnify the suffering and the pain we feel and recognising that is the first stage in moving forward and healing. How we then tackle those thoughts and feelings therefore becomes important. Kessler & Hay tackle the subject of 'disenfranchised grief' where people feel that society believes they have no right to grieve amongst a raft of other subjects of loss. Anyone who is going through loss, has been through a loss or expects to go through a loss would benefit from reading this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Affirmations to cope with loss, 16 Aug 2014
elsie purdon "reads too much" (dorset uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am conflicted on this book. On the one hand it is a basically a book of sweet words and affirmations. A belief in the goodness of the Universe and that believing in the goodness of the universe will help good things to happen.
There is nothing wrong with seeing things from a more positive view, even the worst most painful grief. Except, I cannot imagine ever suggesting this book to a person who has to cope with losing a child. I think that kind of deep and worst possible pain has been glibly sidestepped in this book and for that reason I doubt it's viability.
On the other hand, there are other losses that we can all get caught up in where a good attitude and willingness to let go is definitely a more healthy way to go.
I do find myself cringing a bit with Louise Hays utter belief in the benefits of affirmations all together, but many people have found her books to help.
So I am going with three stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just too mystical / airy fairy for me., 16 April 2014
NeilC (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this to try and get me over a recent tough relationship break-up, but I just couldn't find it useful. I found it lacking in any basic grounding for the techniques which as a science-based thinker I couldn't buy into. It just seemed to mystical and mantra based for me. I preferred the more general "The Chimp Paradox" from Dr Steve Peters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect timing, 17 Feb 2014
I love Louise Hay and her messages and this book did not fail to deliver! A must for anyone experiencing loss of any sort, the reading is straightforward and simple, with beautiful affirmations. Encourages dealing with loss in a more healthy way without discounting the grief any loss can bring. Please consider this book if you are stuck in any form of loss! Truly inspiring.

2.0 out of 5 stars substituting solutions, 4 Aug 2014
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The heart needs healing as wounds and scrapes come our way. Louise Hay and David Kessler offer much affirmation here, towards knowing a better world. Gentle, courageous and insightful with a firmly sign-posted path to the notion of self-empowerment and healing. This book deals with all that has to do with the losses that fill our life-way. The use of this book is in it's signage to our choices, intentions and interrelations within this world for the sake of our wholeness.

Freedom of the heathy self is the noble intent of this title. It's basis in humanistic rhetoric is my foundational struggle with it. Lots of powerful, and positive thinking here indeed. Enlightenment and a methodology of transcending the cycle of grief and getting stuck are the valid goal here. Positive reinforcement is the simple equation offered and more than a little lacking. For me it's not enough. An interesting canter, but inadequate as a life strategy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent and accessible, worth a look, 8 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a competent guide to dealing with life trauma such as divorce and death. It aims, through charting techniques of positive affirmation based in case studies, to adapt the mind's thought processes into a more positive and accepting structure.

For some of course, particularly those at least with a broad knowledge of the processes involved [such as meditation etc], this will work well. For others it may seem too esoteric but this is an accessible, well presented book that I think is worth working through and at least giving a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful healing tool, 25 Feb 2014
P Campbell (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Many of us face many things in our life which cause pain of loss of a loved one, breakdown of a relationship, loss of an animal or major changes in our lives which cause us much heartache. It is hard to find a way to accept and let go in order for us to move on once more and live abundant lives. I know many times I have lost loved ones in death and the end of emotional relationships. I have also lost my health.

This book is very good at getting us to accept what has happened and to bring about changes which will make life so much better. It is all about mindset and moving forward. It's about losing negativity and finding positivity through affirmations. We all strive for better lives and becoming our better or higher selves where our minds are really in the zone and we feel blessed and living the lives we desire to lead, not stuck in pain and negative traits where we mull over all of the bad things that have happened.

I have read a lot of Louise Hay's writing and I agree with a fair amount of her teachings regarding positivity and affirmations. This book is co-written by David Kessler who has written widely about bereavement and loss. The book is simply written and everything in it is do-able if we are prepared to work at it to bring about change in our thought-patterns. Divided into specific chapters concerning breakups, divorce and bereavement.

Worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 10 Aug 2014
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was eager to read this book as I have had alot of emotional problems relating to loss...... the fact that my children weren't neuro typical so I never got to experience "normal" parenting, even the jibber jabber of toddlers as they learnt to speak.... the fact that I had breast cancer twice and the treatment changed my life completely and of course the more usual losses that comes to mind such as death or break up in relationships.

I read this book quite quickly, Easy to read and informative but I did get rather annoyed by the constant reference to studies etc. I think it would have been better to have appendixed these for referal if required.

On the whole it was a good book but it was telling me what I knew already.

You Can Heal Your Heart: Finding Peace After a Breakup, Divorce or Death