5.0 out of 5 stars Grab your pen!
This book came my way providentially. My heart needed a lot of healing and letting go of old wounds.
So as Louise Hay and David Kessler would put it in the form of affirmation, all people and all situations are delivering me towards my higher good.
Published 2 months ago by Acquafortis

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring inspirational book
Published 1 month ago by J. Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab your pen!, 4 Feb 2014
An easy book to read, chapters divided into short sections, gentle in its words, respectful of the matter being discussed but firm in showing the path to self-empowerment and healing.
This book deals with all that has to do with losses that clog our hearts leaving it blocked and shrivelled for years causing prolonged sadness, anger and a complete disappointment in life. An ever bleeding wound that will not let us live our life to its completeness.
It is only through thoroughly honouring our losses, live in and move through the grievance that we can slowly change our usually biased perception of what has happened. Repeated affirmations will slowly dissolve away our negative thoughts. Healing will bring us to a place where we can safely let go of pain and sorrow leaving us free to hold our love as a beacon to all that, who and what we loved and cherished in this lifetime.
The book makes no distinction between mayor or minor loss. The heart does not make that difference. Besides the classical losses of death, divorce and broken relationships of all kinds, the book dedicates a whole section on disenfranchised grief, that is that grief for which people do not feel they have a socially recognized right to grieve such as, LGBT relationships, loss of pets (a whole chapter is dedicated), abortion or miscarriages, suicide, drug/disease related deaths, loss of jobs or a kind of life that can never be again like it was before, such as cancer patients.
The beauty of this book is that it lovingly points out many times that all our interrelations and exchanges with and within this world are assigned to us for our own healing. That relationships and events are our guides and teachers that the Universe uses to help us discover within ourselves the Divine and the Power we all carry within and rarely acknowledge.
So now grab your pen and several Post-it and start writing your way out of grieve and your way in to your true free loving self.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring inspirational book, 16 Mar 2014
J. Dawson (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: You Can Heal Your Heart: Finding Peace After a Breakup, Divorce or Death (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The credentials for this book are very impressive - Louise Hay is one of the world's leading "metaphysical" self help gurus and David Kessler co-authored books with the legendary Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. Following a nightmarish three years which have included one close family bereavement and the end of two important relationships, I certainly need some help woth recovery and this sounded promising.

I'm afraid that, in practice, the book doesn't really live up to its promise. It all seems a bit simplistic - pages of case histories and platitudes, all punctuated with affirmations that will allegedly, if repeated hundreds of times each day, lead to emotional recovery. Nothing here I hadn't seen or heard before, and it all feels a bit repetitive. I've probably had more counselling than others but even so, is there anyone who isn't already aware that positive thinking is helpful in healing, or that losing your job, the end of a romantic relationship, and the death of a pet are all forms of grief?

Also, if you do not buy into "New Age" thinking, this is likely to alienate you. Plenty of references to "the universe" and its plans for particular individuals, and even a cat who comforts its owner - verbally - from the afterlife are likely to test the patience of more skeptical readers.

The basic ideas here are sound - of course avoiding spiralling into negative thinking and putting a positive spin on our thoughts whenever possible is going to be useful - but unfortunately the execution is rather uninspiring.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful healing tool, 25 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Many of us face many things in our life which cause pain of loss of a loved one, breakdown of a relationship, loss of an animal or major changes in our lives which cause us much heartache. It is hard to find a way to accept and let go in order for us to move on once more and live abundant lives. I know many times I have lost loved ones in death and the end of emotional relationships. I have also lost my health.

This book is very good at getting us to accept what has happened and to bring about changes which will make life so much better. It is all about mindset and moving forward. It's about losing negativity and finding positivity through affirmations. We all strive for better lives and becoming our better or higher selves where our minds are really in the zone and we feel blessed and living the lives we desire to lead, not stuck in pain and negative traits where we mull over all of the bad things that have happened.

I have read a lot of Louise Hay's writing and I agree with a fair amount of her teachings regarding positivity and affirmations. This book is co-written by David Kessler who has written widely about bereavement and loss. The book is simply written and everything in it is do-able if we are prepared to work at it to bring about change in our thought-patterns. Divided into specific chapters concerning breakups, divorce and bereavement.

Worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect timing, 17 Feb 2014
I love Louise Hay and her messages and this book did not fail to deliver! A must for anyone experiencing loss of any sort, the reading is straightforward and simple, with beautiful affirmations. Encourages dealing with loss in a more healthy way without discounting the grief any loss can bring. Please consider this book if you are stuck in any form of loss! Truly inspiring.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just too mystical / airy fairy for me., 16 April 2014
NeilC (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this to try and get me over a recent tough relationship break-up, but I just couldn't find it useful. I found it lacking in any basic grounding for the techniques which as a science-based thinker I couldn't buy into. It just seemed to mystical and mantra based for me. I preferred the more general "The Chimp Paradox" from Dr Steve Peters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Louise Hay, 16 April 2014
This completes my "louise hay" library and as we have come to expect with Louise,"You can Heal your Heart" offers a deep and thorough means of exploring and finding healing from unresolved emotional issues that are holding you back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of wisdom, compassion and understanding., 12 April 2014
Margaret Gallagher (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of the best self-help books I have read on the subject of coping with bereavement. I love that it covers a wide range of different bereavements because, of course, we suffer many losses throughout our lives and we grieve for many things, not just the loss of someone we love.
The depth of explanation as to how we really function is excellent - giving a good grasp of why the techniques work, not just telling you to do them. It is very human - as well as being enabling, and empowering. Helping you to understand your own process and to manage it in your own way and your own time.
I have already recommended this book to a couple of friends and I am sure I will refer it to many more in the coming years. It is an absolute gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deals with all kinds of heartache, 6 April 2014
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book focuses mainly on how changing our thinking about different losses such as: breakups in relationships, divorce, death, losing a pet & even others such as miscarriage & infertility, job loss etc.
it has many case stories & examples which are very helpful so you can relate to which scenario befits. For example, a woman who has been lied to by a "married man" & how one can use that betrayal & take lessons from it. & in each story there are affirmations & suggestions on what specific thoughts need to be changed & what affirmations can be used to reinforce a new way of thinking/outlook on the situation.
I found this helps to re-evaluate our whole perception of grief (whatever form it may take).
Basically, it shows you how to learn from, accept & grow from grief instead of being negative & depressed about it.
I will add one thing here though:although changing our thoughts may be a very positive & forward way of dealing with grief, the heart feels pain no matter what you might say or think. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not in anyway disputing that it HELPS, but we still need to feel our feelings & accept them as they are. Without supressing or fighting them.
This is why this book helps us to deal with the pain in a much more positive way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your heart will go on, 5 April 2014
Amex Angel "Lou" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is an excellent example of Louise Hay's ability to illuminate the way back into the light for those people who find themselves in the depth of darkness and despair that separation and loss can create.

Louise's gift is to impart information in such a way that the reader feels included in the work as a partner. The reader does not feel patronised by the author they feel that they are valued and a working partnership between the reader and author is established very early on.

As a wordsmith Ms Hay demonstrates how mightier than the sword is the pen. Indeed it is clear that our thoughts, words and actions can inflict pain on each other or they can bring relief to ease the broken hearted. This book is a must have for all those individuals who are on the journey of self improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 27 Mar 2014
Miss M. L. English "Mary English" (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I absolutely loved this book....and it arrived just when I my younger sister had died, so I sped through it in a few days.

I like Louise and I'd forgotten how good her writing is...

This is co-written with a chap called David...and you can't really tell who's 'talking' but that doesn't matter...

The book covers every possibility for grief and calmly explains how to stop worrying and literally to heal your heart from the wounds of grief.
I'd already read Courage to Grieve but this was better in many ways as the advice is more practical and do-able.
I lent it to a client but will have to get it back as I'd like to read it again, I enjoyed it so much....
Great book:)