5.0 out of 5 stars My new heroine!
Roz Savage has been on my horizon for a while being as I am both a rower and someone with strong interest in environmental issues. After reading this book, however, I can place her in my life as a new heroine and source of inspiration.

Published 17 months ago by bomble

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiring and Tedious
Published 10 months ago by D. Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars My new heroine!, 21 Dec. 2013
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stop Drifting, Start Rowing: One Woman's Search for Happiness and Meaning Alone on the Pacific (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

As a piece of literature, 'Stop Drifting, Start Rowing' is an easy read of 200 pages of engaging and honest personal account. The beaming smiles that feature in all the photos of Roz are matched in a style of utmost optimism even in light of tough times on the ocean and the tragic inaction of much of the world to the environmental damage Roz highlights. The book contains several fine photos that give a sense of the conditions of life on an ocean rowing boat. But much more than a simple account of adventure this is an insight into the psychology of success, an opening of the heart of someone who comes across as being a really likable lady and a call to action for the rest of us to make our mark in a positive and constructive way on this fragile Earth.

I have also read the thoroughly fascinating and personal account that Ben Fogle and James Cracknell gave in The Crossing and it was so refreshing to read a more feminine and - dare I say - meaningful version of life as an ocean rower. While Cracknell revealed the ultimate in single-mindedness and competitivity and Fogle showed the spirit of the gentleman-amateur adventurer, neither really seemed to embrace the advantages of a stripped-back life in the way that Roz does. Though I realise she transformed herself in her Atlantic crossing first (a book I look forward to reading now) she gave the sense of having found a rhythm and equilibrium (rowing metaphors I know) to her life aquatic and used her platform to raise awareness of the subjects that matter to her where others are primarily focussed on personal achievement.

This is, evidently, why she is published by an organisation specialising in self-help works. I am not a fan of this genre - I don't believe that 'reading self-help' has ever been one of the 'seven habits of successful people'! But if self-help can mean providing inspiration and practical wisdom through an adventurous account then this is just the ticket. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary Achievement, 24 Oct. 2013
Stop Drifting, Start Rowing continues the story of adventurer, environmentalist and ocean rower Roz Savage's traverse of the world's oceans. Starting with the, at times, terrifying account of her abortive departure from California it never loses pace as she shares her triumphs and near disasters with the reader. Her story takes us from the Golden Gate bridge to Hawai'i then on to Tarawa and finally to the completion of her goal to become the first woman to row solo across the Pacific by making landfall on Papua New Guinea.

But this is far more than an account of a rower, rowing. Roz is not only crossing the oceans "because it is there" but also and more importantly to raise awareness of environmental issues. Her description of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch an area "around twice the sae of Texas consisting of 3.5million tonnes of rubbish" and of the amount of, and damage caused by, plastic pollution will make even the most cynical user of disposable products think twice. Plastic in the oceans not only floats on the surface approximately two thirds sinks to the bottom where it interferes with the natural gaseous exchange between the ocean bed and the water. 80% of this plastic pollution comes from the land. The plastic is degraded by sunlight thus making smaller and smaller pieces. These are eaten by small fish and other creatures at the bottom of the food chain so that the toxins released are concentrated as the chain goes higher. She tells the story of the maui maui fish that had been caught by one of the sailors of Junk, a boat made from 15,000 empty plastic bottles, that was so full of plastic that the toxins and hormone inhibitors will have made the fish dangerous to eat. Plastic is not inert it will damage us when it finally reaches us as creatures at the apex of the food chain.

Her account of her conversations with the President of Kiribati both in his country's capital, Tarawa, and during the ill stared Copenhagen conference left me with a lingering sense of sadness and potential loss. The islands that make up Kiribati are nearly all less than 25ft above sea level. As the oceans rise over the next decades, the inhabitants will by necessity become migrants and have to move to wherever they are able. They will become a lost nation.

The other element of this book which makes it a great read and continues from her first book, Rowing the Atlantic, is her discussion of her philosophy of life and how she came to reject commercialism and our longing for "stuff".

One of the heart warming aspects of her tale is the generosity shown to her by people throughout the world, it really does help boost your optimism about human nature. From the straightforward offers of accommodation and food through the donations of cash (ocean rowing is not in the same league as the Americas Cup but is not free) and sponsorship by manufacturers Roz is eloquent in her acknowledgment and thanks to her "Rozlings".

In recent months Roz has been appointed an Member of the British Empire - well deserved.

This book will repay your attention - enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and it scores on so many levels, 18 Nov. 2013
Robert Hardie "Rob Hardie" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like fantastic adventure stories then this is definitely for you. The idea of rowing across on ocean, especially the pacific, is mind blowing. Doing this single handed is right out there - about as extreme an endurance test than you can imagine. But this is not just about rowing. It is inspirational at many levels. Roz's journey was not just about pitting herself against the task of rowing, but to raise awareness of the damage we are doing to our planet. It is about the environmental impact that we have on our seas and ultimately, our life support system. This is a great read -highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and inspiring, 12 Oct. 2014
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst the book does take a while to get to the truly intrepid stuff, mainly because of Roz's false start the previous year, once she got out of San Francisco bay, the feeling of "being there" was palpable and certainly made for a compelling read.

Ages ago I read a book called Pacific Ordeal by Kenneth Ainslie (well worth seeking out in those second hand book shops) which effective transported me from my comfy chair to the storm-wracked Pacific and this book similarly had me almost smelling that salt water in my hair at times!

The added bonus here is that Roz Savage is promoting a laudable ecological agenda through her endeavours. In that respect, some may feel the book comes over as a little preachy at times. With me however, it just made me aware of how wasteful our consumer society really is and made me question my actions and lifestyle.

There are some excellent full-colour photographs to reward readers around the three-quarters mark.

Obviously not great literature, but the fairly light and breezy (pun intended) style suits the subject matter very well.

If you're a green-minded person with a taste for adventure, then I am happy to recommend this book very highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 8 Feb. 2014
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this book on a whim - I do not normally read non fiction / autobiographies or anything to 'real' as I like to read for escapism.

I was gripped by the book - read it in one sitting (albeit a long one) I just could not imagine how hard it must have been to row the pacific on your own!

My only disappointment (and reason for dropping one star) was that it missed all the basic information about HOW Roz became fit enough to take the challenge on, what preparation was involved, what emotional preparation was required, detailed information about the boat and details about how she kept going day after day after day......I wanted more background, more detail, more depth.

The book did allude to the fact that there is another book which covers the row across the atlantic, so I will order that one and read it, but none the less, I was intrigued by the book and found myself thinking constantly about how a person can motivate themselves to doing something so amazing, so hard and so dangerous.

An awesome achievement covered in a good book that left me wondering what worthwhile or amazing things I have done in life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, thought provoking and very readable account of endurance and determination., 19 Sept. 2014
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got Roz Savage's book after seeing it mentioned towards the end of Clare Balding's Walking Home: My Family and Other Rambles as being a throughly good read - and I wasn't disappointed. Previously the subtitle had put me off a little, I'd imagined it to be full of introspection and self-absorption.

It is thoughtfully and perceptively written but it certainly isn't as introspective as I'd imagined. Roz is a record - breaking rower who had already rowed across the Atlantic when she undertook to row across the Pacific solo in her rowboat Brocade. She managed this by not tackling it in one go, but island - hopping to rest and replenish her supplies.

Roz opens the book with an introduction of what brought her to the decision to put her former life to one side, to leave her husband, comfortable home, and high flying career behind. Roz's childhood was austere rather than privileged which makes this more impressive.

The story of Roz's self-powered voyage is engrossing, involving false starts, failing equipment, mid-ocean meet-ups and fantastic support from a whole host of people but particularly her lovely Mum, Rita, whose skills with technology kept Roz in touch with supporters via an online blog throughout. Environmental concerns were continually to the fore; Roz kept every scrap of rubbish onboard. Encounters with wildlife do feature but were relatively rare, a sign of how much has been lost from the seas.

There was one incident where Roz put herself in great danger and the story of how this unfolded leads one to realise how overwhelmingly close to great danger Roz was throughout, only one dodgy decision from death. Roz's choice to push herself so far physically is all the more remarkable when you consider her statement that she 'hates exercise'; ultimately she needed to feel that her life had meaning and that she had made a difference. She offers readers who choose to engage with this much food for thought.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiring and Tedious, 17 July 2014
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As explained in its ‘Introduction’ the aim of ‘Stop Drifting, Start Rowing’ is to use the exploits of Roz Savage to wage a campaign on environmental issues, but also Roz sought to escape from emotional attachments and a materialistic world. She is a multi world record holder for rowing various oceans and in this book she presents the life lessons she has learned and she seeks to inspire readers. I empathise with her desires and I salute her courage and determination - but her book is wearisome with much of the content as day to day mundane commentaries on the voyage which she seeks to dramatize.

It must be tiring to row thousands of miles across the Pacific and ‘Stop Drifting, Start Rowing’ tells a story of endurance and frustration using Roz Savage as a character builder cum happiness creator as befits the Hay House publisher of self-help books. It seems Roz chose to be an ocean rower to give herself a platform from which to preach on survival of the planet, and it is admirable that she draws attention to the dead zones of plastic pollution that are killing wildlife but this dominates all other matters. For me the tiring from rowing spills over into a tiringly repetitive book that becomes a tedious read. Roz appears to have met her challenges and found what she was seeking, but however adventurous I did not find her account inspiring - certainly not to feel “invigorated” and “eager to face the future with courage and positivity” as hoped for!

The book embraces her journey starting at San Francisco with an initial setback as rescue, recovery of her boat, and a restart on the leg to Hawaii. She continues to her second choice stopover as Tarawa, Kiribati which then causes her to finish in Papua New Guinea instead of the original target of Australia. In addition to rowing she spends time on blogging and tweeting, and on land she manages speaking engagements and a book tour. The ‘Epilogue’ acknowledges it may not be possible to find the meaning of life but we should strive for our lives to have meaning. Roz Savage appears to have managed to her personal satisfaction - but for inspiring others I believe her book is only average - hence 3-star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Browsing, Start Reading..., 22 Oct. 2013
Salvation for the office worker asking, "Isn't there more to life than this?" Roz Savage, a former management consultant, unequivocally answers, "Yes!"

By offering a journey inward into the meaning of ability, achievement, and awareness, "Stop Drifting, Start Rowing" isn't just a title, it's a metaphorical call to action for your life. A call Roz Savage's story inspires you to answer for yourself.

Every tale of daring adventure carries the subtext of the "Hero's Journey" within. "Stop Drifting, Start Rowing" thoroughly satisfies on this front, allowing us to test our mettle with 2,500,000 oar strokes across the Pacific Ocean from the comfort of our favorite armchair (at the cost of 1/10,000th as many page turns) but Ms. Savage takes us beyond the surface journey and beyond the implications of metaphor usually seen in such tales.

Ms. Savage writes what's usually left between the lines. By sharing her full range of emotions, you gain insight into the mind of a great adventurer.

Presented honestly, without bluster or bravado, you feel her experiences, fears, frustrations, pleasures, and pains, and come to learn that the only real barrier to your own great adventure is the one that keeps you from trying.

As individuals, we often feel powerless, that our small efforts yield few results but, like Ms. Savage's oarstrokes, each of which meant nothing alone, the accumulation of many crosses oceans.

By showing us this powerful message in action, Ms. Savage challenges each of us to begin our own personal journey, to cross the ocean within, one stroke at a time.

My advice?

Stop browsing, start reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting account but ultimately uninspiring, 19 April 2014
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think I understand some of the motivation behind this authors journey. She threw off all the security and materialism of her previous existence to row across oceans and, through this, communicate a message to the world about saving our environment.
She has already written a book about her first journey across the Atlantic. I think I may prefer the first one as I would hope it has more of the hesitation and uncertainty that this book is lacking.
Here she seems to be consciously trying hard to be different about everything which I suspect comes from having already written a book about a very similar subject.
There is a huge amount of detail which I loved but could not help but be cynical about her objectives, which she makes clear at the beginning, in that she undertakes the journey (and writes the related book) to allow her the opportunity to talk about her ecological beliefs. I do not want to downplay her achievements which are enormous but I wonder if she would be taken more seriously if she concentrated of her message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Row row row your boat, 6 Feb. 2014
M. Williams "Matt Williams" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you feel your life lacks adventure and you're not realising your potential Roz Savage does a good job of trying to give you a steer. She tries to help you understand more about yourself and how you can work to make society better.

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a huge area of the ocean filled with 3.5 million tons of rubbish is something we should all be ashamed of, and collectively need to deal with, rather than waiting for an ecological disaster to consume us. Roz does her best to hightlight the issue. Not what you might call cheery reading, but vital nonetheless.

I lent this book to my dad who is struggling to make sense of life after retirement and I hope it's helped him in his personal journey.