on 12 October 2014
I really enjoyed this book on financial healing. And at the same time I fully understand why there's so much criticism of this book: in order to reap the full benefits from this book, you've got to do the homework exercises. And if you've got money "stuff", that's probably not going to be easy, which is why I imagine some readers put the book aside after coming to the end of the first chapter.

Those who criticize the book for not having enough practical advice might have been expecting practical tips for improving your cash flow and finances. This book goes much deeper, looking at the emotional reasons why we struggle with money. And once we work on the deep stuff, the practical things all fall into place. But again, that requires the courage to look deep into ourselves.

This is a fantastic book that chronicles the author's own journey of financial healing and how she got out of debt herself. It's inspiring, and has a deep spiritual focus...this is a Hay House book, so I wouldn't expect anything less.

I recommend this book to anyone who's struggling with money issues and who is willing to do the hard work of digging deep into their own beliefs and attitudes about money. If you're not willing to do the homework exercises, this might not be the book for you.
on 20 November 2013
I've been following her mum (Dr. Christian Northrup, Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom) for many years, so I started following and reading blogs and articles by her daughter Kate Northrup. Then I read this book. I am not going to repeat everything other reviewers of UK between 1 and 3 stars said, because I fully agree with them. Go read the low star reviews and see what I mean.

What I do have to add is how, after at least 10 years buying from amazon, it's SO EASY to spot fake reviews... like those with 5 stars! written by friends probably, offering support to the author, which is ok, but I prefer the opinions of general readers. Maybe the book can honestly help some women, but only if you don't have REAL money problems. If you are interested in more serious advice go read Barbara Stanny and/or what other reviewers suggested.
on 11 September 2013
I bought this book, having read an article whereby a British female journalist met with and tried to implement the advice given by the author, Kate Northrup. I should have really just stuck to the tips provided in the article, rather than buy the book, which has turned out to be a waste of my money!
First of all, the author is an American so her advice is very 'lovey-dovey' and saddled with spirituality. This is all very well for a US audience who responds to encouragement from someone who considers herself to have been 'through financial hardship' but further reading of this book proves otherwise.
Which leads me onto my second point. The author cannot claim to have gone through financial hardship, when all she has done has spent $20k of her money on luxurious living, when she is able to live with her parents who both work and own their own home, which she is then able to live in rent free for a time while she sorts herself out.
My third point demonstrates how unrealistic this woman's financial advice is. At one point during the book, she tell us to invest in a beautiful, luxurious looking handbag in order to focus our minds on financial freedom. ?!? is all I can say to that.

This may not be the author's fault, however. Her book is clearly aimed at the US audience, not the British who are having to pull their purse strings every day in order to survive our current government's ridiculously unfair policies, aimed at disabling the working classes even further. But I digress. My review is not meant to be political. I do think it is pointless advertising this book in the UK as a guide to financial freedom.

Buy Merryn Somerset Webb's 'Love is not enough' instead and refer to the 'Money Saving Expert' website whenever you like for more realistic financial advice.
on 23 September 2013
The book was a real disappointment. I was intrigued by what I understood to be the topic - the idea that our relationship with money can have emotional and psychological aspects, and that therefore overcoming unhelpful thought patterns around money is part of getting on top of our personal finances. Unfortunately the book is short on practical advice and long on new-age psycho-babble to the point of being almost unreadable.

Trying to be fair here, there are a few good ideas, such as how to not feel deprived while cutting back on spending. The author also makes some interesting points about how your emotional relationship with money almost certainly stems from your upbringing, and how these early experiences can manifest themselves in surprising ways. But where was the practical advice? I am not sure which planet the author is living on when she suggests that the person you turn to for financial advice must have "unconditional love" for you.

The "meat" of the practical and financial advice comes from other writers (as the author clearly acknowledges) chiefly "Rich Dad Poor Dad" by RT Kiyosaki, and also "Getting things Done" by David Allen. Much is made of the author's own journey to financial freedom but to me her experience didn't seem particularly inspiring. So she got herself in and out of $20,000 of credit card debt - snap! Me too! (How many readers must have been thinking the same?!). The author has a privileged background, an expensive education, and what seems to be a fairly uncomplicated life. For a book aimed mostly at women, what was missing was advice on how to disentangle yourself from a shared-finances relationship, how to avoid losing your financial freedom if you give up work to care for the kids, pre-nups, divorce....etc, all absent.

British readers will find the tone very, very American. "Brilliant! You're such a champ. I hope you are as proud of yourself as I am of you." Some readers may find this encouraging, though I suspect many will find it utterly patronising.

I am baffled by the two very positive reviews for the kindle edition, which also appear under the paperback edition. As another reviewer of the paperback edition has pointed out, the claim that the reviewer increased her income by 60% after reading the book was posted on 28 August 2013, a good 13 days before the publication date of the book. It's a little odd, is it suspicious? Who knows, but having read the book, I now rather regret taking those reviews at face value.

Looking more closely now at where the official praise for the book originates (mainly the self-help community) I should have perhaps been more cautious. If chakras, free-writing exercises and tales of miraculous cures are not your thing, avoid this book.
on 29 July 2014
This book is okay... But a lot of the best ideas in it come from Barbara Stanny's amazing book 'Overcoming Underearning' which I happened to buy at the same time. The author of this book talks about going to one of Barbara Stanny's workshops and the insights that she had afterwards. If you were only going to buy one book of this type then definitely start with 'Overcoming Underearning' - it is in a different league to this one. There are some useful ideas in this book but for me they were overshadowed by the writer being quite difficult for me to relate to. Her problems are of the sort that the children of multimillionaires often go through. She is very honest about herself and has some good insights, but overall I would have done better to save my money.
on 18 November 2013
The author goes on for ions about her own 'money story'. She has no idea about financial hardship. Luckily she's from a privileged home, her mother paid for her apartment and her only woe was that she did not have savings while in college and had some credit cards that she wasn't paying off.

I am interested in how our perception of the subject of money effects who we deal, or don't deal, with our money.
I found this book highly disappointing and although I applaud all writers for making an effort I feel this is one area this author should not be writing about.

I am lucky to be in a better place then some years ago but I know wats it's like to suffer mentally and physically from the stress of money worries. In fact if you are in financial difficulties this us the last book you should read. It will make you feel even more isolated. She would have been better off writing about how Network Marketing using her generous family and friends made her wealthy.
on 26 November 2013
I expected a new twist on tips in this book. Instead, I got someone else's success story, which I found rather boring.
on 15 September 2013
I overcome my natural cynacism about the Hayhouse marketing/pr machine that overshadows the intentions of their self help authors they promote and ordered this book as it was promoted by another author I view as genuine. Even if I was a bit suspicious of the beautifully crafted reviews that appeared on amazon.com before the advertised publication date. However the author comes across as a kid who always has her rich and famous parents to bail her out or her famous mothers name to trade off as a safety belt so she can afford to just play at this. There's no real sense of having lived the reality of not knowing where the next bill is coming from and having real responsibilities to face up to and fulfil. An example being getting her mum to sell an apartment she owned that the author lived in rent free, to fund the authors' own road trip where she could tell other people what to do with their money along the way (that might not be quite how it went, but thats how it comes across when reading the book). It's quite hard to relate to and it's a shame as there is the odd thought provoking gem in there. But as a previous reviewer said, maybe stick to articles about the book for tips rather than buying the actual book itself.
on 12 September 2013
Having read many books on the topic of financial freedom and healing one's relationship with money, I can say with confidence that this book is a truly unique addition to a very important genre. The author's approach to the topic is so much kinder, gentler, more loving, and more fun than anything else I've read or experienced (this includes books and classes, programs, etc.).

She has many very creative methods for readers to apply to their situations. The exercises she takes you through are worth their weight in gold, and her personal, engaging tone draws you right in. Her honesty and vulnerability about her own story make it so easy to relate to her and also to feel inspired to follow in her money-loving and money-healing footsteps. She feels like your best girlfriend showing you the ropes. She combines lightness and humor with depth and wisdom that belie her years, and she tackles some truly tricky territory with grace and aplomb.

This book has already created significant shifts in my approach to money and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their financial situation, whether they be down and out and in debt or financially stable and wanting to refine their relationship with money. Whatever your situation, this book's approach can take you further.
on 28 August 2013
Kate Northrup's debut book is a must read - for all of us. But especially for women entrepreneurs. Since reading this book and putting the principals into practice I increased my income by 60%, I de-tangled my relationship with money, embraced earning and truly enjoy my weekly Financial Freedom Dates. Now, I happily open bank statements, I understand what's happening to my money and I love deepening our relationship. Thank you Kate.

Don't miss this amazing opportunity to revolutionise your relationship with money. Kate writes accessibly, informatively and entertainingly.
If you want to begin or the deepen your financial journey, I truly recommend you start here.