Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2014
What a wonderful book!
As a cat lover I originally purchased this book simply because it was about a cat! And I think for a lot of people who just want a nice, feel good story, with a bit of cat hair, then this is ideal. However, it has opened up some new areas of interest for me which was not expected; I would like to find out more about Buddhism, its beliefs and teachings. I’m not saying I’m converted but it’s opened my eyes to how our thoughts and actions affect others, to understand how we feel in certain situations and control those emotions - and if we fail, then that is another lesson to be learned from. It has some beautiful teachings about life lessons and karma without being in any way preachy or in your face, which have changed my views on how I see myself and others.
I was not expecting the effect this book had on me – and I would like to thank David Mitchie very much for that!
It had me purchasing the second book (The art of purring) within 5 minutes of finishing the last page!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A small kitten being ill-treated by some small boys attracts the attention of the Dalai Lama as he is driven through Delhi having returned from a visit to the US. He rescues the kitten and nurses her back to life and health - apart from slightly wobbly back legs. HHC (His Holiness' Cat) as she is nicknamed soon becomes a popular part of the Dalai Lama's household.

As she is living with one of the holiest men in the world HHC picks up a lot of wisdom and advice about how to live a truly Buddhist life. But HHC's activities are not confined to the Dalai Lama's home and the temple and monastery nearby as HHC ventures out into the community and visits a nearby café.

If you don't like books narrated by animals then this isn't the book for you. I really enjoyed it and thought the author had really captured the cat's personality. As a way of learning a certain amount about Tibetan Buddhism I really can't fault it. Even if you are not religious at all it is still an entertaining story and the message isn't laboured at all. It has aroused my interest in Buddhism and I think I shall be reading more about the subject.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 February 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a charming and rather whimsical account of a young female cat who comes to live with the Delai Lama. She has many names, as do our own cats at home, depending on who is addressing her and their mood. However, the Delai Lama generally refers to her as Snow Lion. We first meet Snow Lion when some young lads in Delhi have discovered the litter she is in and set about making some money by selling them. As she is the runt of the litter and has some damage to her hind legs, things look bleak until she is spotted by the Delai Lama's party, returning from the airport and is purchased for $2.

This relatively short book is an account of Snow Lion's life over the next eighteen months or so. However, the main purpose of this tale is to explain the main tenets of Buddhism with some practical examples of how it can affect both people's lives and outlook on life. SL is an intelligent and observant cat who relates these various lessons to her own life with varying success - for example her attempts at meditation are rather hampered by her failure to meditate for more than two minutes! However, in other respects she is more successful and she finds some of what she practices to be life changing.

This is difficult book to categorise. In some respects it is similar to a self help book which encourages the reader to, perhaps, look at their own life from a different angle. In another respect is defines some of the philosophy behind the Buddhist faith. On a further level it is a charming tale about an appealing cat. However, and most importantly, overall it is a fascinating and absorbing book which many will greatly enjoy.
on 10 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Dalai Lama's Cat is a charming little novel, written from the point of view of a slum kitten who was rescued by the leader of Buddhism, the Dalai Lama. It is neither preachy nor didactic about Buddhism; instead, the book is a wonderfully thought-provoking read which is sure to make the reader smile all the way through the story. It's a lovely, amusing book!
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a charming, short book that spoons feeds Buddhism into the reader's brain. A kitten is rescued by the Dali Lama and spends his (nine) lives observing the life of the monastery and giving potted similies to allow the reader to reflect on the lessons and apply them to their life.

I'd recommend for cat lovers and those curious about Buddhism.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While the Dalai Lama is travelling through Delhi he sees a small frail kitten being ill treated by small boys.
The kitten is rescued and nursed back to good health by the Dalai Lamas staff and then takes up residence in His Holiness' Household, she is given various names by different staff : HHC "His Holiness'Cat" , The Snow Lion , Mousie Tung being just a few.
This charming novel is narrated by HHC and tells of her life in the Household and Temple and local area. Observance of the life in the Temple and of the colourful characters involved in the life of the Dalai Lama are well described and come to life through the pages, along with discussions about Buddhist teachings and about some of the visitors who gained audience with His Holiness.
It's witty and well written and certainly helps with an insight into Buddhism and the mind of the cat !!!
A great read for feline fans and those wanting to learn a bit more about the Buddhist ways .
on 20 April 2013
If you are a 'cat person', htis is a lovely way of gaining insight into the Dalai Lama and his wisdom.
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A beautifully whimsical book that is easy to read and gives little snippets of wisdom. Spoken as a true cat, this little kitty is rescued by the Dalai Lama and watches and comments on the goings on at the monastery. A valuable little book for any collection and will be guaranteed to lift the spirits of the reader!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Over a century ago Ernest Bramah wrote a series of books about Kai Lung, a Chinese storyteller, as a device by which to recount various parables. In some ways this light and easy read reminded me of Kai Lung.

This sweet book may be a pretext to introduce Buddhism to the reader but it is such a benign book (like C S Lewis' Narnia books) that it can be read at any level. I cannot imagine the subtext tarnishing the enjoyment for those of other faith or no faith.

Perhaps slightly cloying towards the end but not without instructive thoughts on life. Overall I found it enjoyable in a way that, as with Kai Lung or Narnia, does not involve an age barrier.
on 2 June 2014
Every cat lover should read this book - you cannot help but fall in love with HHC and want her for yourself! So well written, you are completely under the illusion that it is actually written by a cat and from a cat's perspective, even imagining the beautiful Himalayan holding a pen in her paw and writing a diary! Of course, all cat owners will know that every feline they've owned is different and has her own distinct personality and character, but this book just brings it to life. It has so many funny and tender moments too and I think any cat owner would fully relate to it. I quite often thought "yeah my cat does that!"

This book also feels so special because of the calming 'atmosphere' you get from being in the Dalai Lama's home and his presence. The book holds a scattering of buddhist principles which are very easy to relate to your own life, without feeling like you're being preached to, as they are very subtly blended into the story. You don't feel like you're reading a book about buddhism at all, and you're not really, but the reader should acknowledge and contemplate the basic principles in there and take something a little more out of it than just any other novel.

I started off this review by saying every cat lover should read this book as whilst I was reading it I thought of many of my feline-loving friends who I thought would enjoy it, but by the end of the book I could think of more people (non-cat lovers!) who might benefit from the principles in there.

All in all, it is a beautiful novel about a cat, from her own perspective, that I loved so much I wanted to read it again as soon as I'd finished - it's not very long and as it's easy to read, as well as addictive, I found I'd finished it much sooner than I'd have liked! So instead, I've downloaded the follow-up novel - The Art of Purring - and am currently fully enjoying the continuing exploits of HHC!