5.0 out of 5 stars you only live ∞ times
Published 18 months ago by pickarooney

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting stuff
As a 53 year old Physics graduate this book is definitely food for thought in so many ways, which I won't go into right now!
Published 5 months ago by Gary

5.0 out of 5 stars you only live ∞ times, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Schr Dinger's Caterpillar (Paperback)
Schrödinger's Caterpillar's only faults are that it's a bitch to spell and the sequel isn't out yet. It's quite simply the funniest and most original book I've read since my first Dr. Seuss (and that one was a bit short, in fairness). There's a brilliantly crazed mind at work behind this book, a style that blends highfalutin' scientific theory with outright silliness and a plot that draws you in from the very first lines. If you can find it, Stumpo's own audio book version is a treat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quantum physics was never this much fun, 5 May 2013
What's the corniest joke you've ever heard, or the very, very worst pun?

Is that it?

Excuse me for not getting too excited, because I can guarantee that you will find a cornier, more groan-worthy joke somewhere within the pages of Schrodinger's Caterpillar. No, really you will. If you don't believe me then just buy the blinking book and take a look for yourself.

Schrodinger's Caterpillar is the broadest of broad farces (and I mean that in a positive way), a satire of twenty first century business, the international arms trade, and... well, Quantum Physics, too. (Whoever groaned just then, please stop at once: Quantum Physics is interesting.) The hero (or should that be anti-hero) Graham (sometimes called Grey) Paint finds a curious caterpillar and puts it in a matchbox. Then he makes the mistake of opening the box and mayhem ensues.

(Incidentally, what would happen if a Hero meets an Anti-Hero? Would they annihilate one another in a puff of metafictional irony?)

This story is, of course, totally unbelievable (and I mean that as a plus, too) rather like Quantum Physics is unbelievable. In fact, your disbelief will not be so much suspended as trussed up like the client of a Soho bondage club and hung by its ankles from the rafters. However, just like Quantum Physics doesn't make one iota of sense but is totally true, this book has a sensible question at the heart of it -- what actually makes us the person we are? Is it our genetics, our upbringing, or those many tiny little decisions we make throughout our lives, the ones that seem to have so little significance at the time but are capable of changing the universe.

Oh, and did I mention it has some really bad puns in it? And I mean really bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do Not read this review, 6 April 2013
So you've ignored my instruction not to read this, which probably marks you out as a rebellious type, or at least a person with a healthy disregard for assumed authority. Or not. Zane Stumpo strikes me as a person (possibly imaginary) with a healthy disregard for conventional wisdom (aka 'the rules') for writing novels, with an 'in for a penny, in for a pound' approach to breaking them. And he does it consistently well, with total disregard to the 'fourth wall', which he demolishes with gusto.

The style is definitely unconventional, but the content, the story, has all the qualities which keep you wanting to turn the page, and gives you that feeling of vague sadness when it comes to an end. Not because it's tragic (that's optional), but because it means there are no more pages to turn. All in all, the best book I've read for a while.

So why only four stars? Does anybody really believe a 5-star review? Don't 5-star reviews always make you think they are probably written by the author's mother, or his friend from the pub? Don't they suggest a smidgen of fawning sycophancy? No? Oh, alright. You've convinced me. In the immortal words of Janice Nicholls, "I'll give it five."

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 26 Nov 2012
D. M. Dickson (Dordogne France and Solihull UK) - See all my reviews
I don't consider myself a brainy person but neither is this a stupid book, silly at times, hilarious and strangely a carrier for some important social comment (I think Mr Stumpo sneaked those in to make us think). The quirky style and self mocking delivery is perfect and the switches, leaps in time and space, outrageous ideas and the pure silliness are wonderful. There is sex, booze, gun running - oh and just about everything else that you can fit into the multiverse of poor Graham and his many Dopplepaints. . Thoroughly enjoyed this and if you want something different I would highly recommend this work.

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest of caterpillars, 13 Jun 2013
Reading Shrodinger's Caterpillar provided me with the most entertainment I've had from a book in ages. It's clever,witty, laugh-out-loud funny and thought provoking. The plot is original, outrageously convoluted and the words are a pleasure to read. I really hope there is a sequel or 20. All lovers of Pratchett and Adams should take a look at this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars PabloJ, 8 Jun 2013
Excellent. If you like Douglas Adams and/or Terry Pratchet, I think you'll love this. Quite a bit of funny rumpy pumpy, very funny scientific and mock-scientific discussion and loads of great playing with the English language, especially well-known phrases and sayings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 30 May 2013
This book had me howling aloud with laughter! So smart, so entertaining; I love physics, but I never thought a novel would be able to add such a non-fiction subject and turn it into such an enjoyable read! Excellent! Highly recommended!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Schrodinger, you have a lot to answer for!, 22 April 2013
Big Bang Theory, Sheldon explains the cat, so I thought I would
check out the caterpillar. Hilarious all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny it could have been written by me, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Schr Dinger's Caterpillar (Paperback)
It is witty, screwy, gloriously daft, pacy, happy to be silly when that's seriously needed, unpredictably ingenious, ingeniously unpredictable. I got told off for laughing aloud too much as I read it. It is a comedic masterpiece. If you enjoy any two of Douglas Adams, Jasper Fforde, Terry Pratchett, Evelyn Waugh, Christopher Brookmyre and New Scientist you should find this book irresistible.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT. Funny, clever and original., 23 Nov 2012
I enjoyed this book hugely.

The author mines the rich comic potential of parallel universes, where one hapless sod ends up meeting various versions of himself. The author keeps the story rattling forward, but weaves through it moments and tangents of utter absurdity, which add to the enjoyment but rarely distract. And most importantly - you never stop rooting for the characters.

Sprinkling in nuggets of popular science that are always in keeping with the flow and theme of the book, it is at once interesting, arresting and hilarious. If you liked Hitchhiker's, Pratchett, or even QI, you'll love this.

A worthy successor to Douglas Adams.

Schr Dinger's Caterpillar
Schr Dinger's Caterpillar by Zane Stumpo (Paperback - 12 Nov 2012)