5.0 out of 5 stars A Dee-light!
Reading 'Pompomberry House' by Rosen Trevithick has assured me that 'Seesaw' was no one-off. This author can write! When you relax reading a book, it's because you know you are in safe hands. Well, you're in safe hands here.

As an independent author myself, I was delighted and amused by Kindle, forum, and other author references dotted throughout the book...
Published 23 months ago by Jonnyboy (Jonathan)

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this author's work by this
So this is supposed to be a satire. Sorry Rosen I don't think you pulled it off.
I thought that you tackled the emotional relationship between Dee and her estranged husband with your usual aplomb and managed to create some of the atmosphere of Agatha Christie's Ten Little Nigg... at Pompomberry House but the overall impression of this book is just plain silly...
Published 21 months ago by Miss K. Frost

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
This is such a fun read! It romps along picking out all the forum horrors that we have encountered in groups and forums online! Not just writers and readers but any on line group!
I enjoyed it, it wasn't brilliant it was just a good fun read!
made me cringe a time or two cos I have come across the same people myself I am sure!!!
Nicely written and thought out, I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
I have been waiting for the release of this book ever since the author started teasing about it on some of the forums we both visit... I watched the cover being designed, took part in the quizzes and eagerly watched the trailer which was released a few days before the book itself. Was I worried that the book wouldn't live up to the hype and my expectations... well, yes and no. Yes cos I did build it up in my head a tad and I do tend to get overexcited about things and No cos the author's track record speaks to quality writing imo.
Did it actually live up to my expectations...? Well, I'd have to say No again there - cos quite frankly it exceeded every one of them. I always find Ms Trevithick's books easy to read, and this one was no exception. It took the proverbial out of the whole indie-publishing scene - authors, lovers, haters, reviewers, forum members with so much tongue-in-cheekness that at times I was crying with laughter.
Not only was it a blast character wise, but there was also a pretty nifty story crossing quite a few genres - action, adventure, crime, humour and a little bit of horror thrown in (hate seagulls too) to name but some. The author engaged me as a reader so much that I burned my dinner and also forgot my bedtime, I was so into the book and just HAD to finish it to find out what had actually happened cos there were so many curve-balls and bits of misdirection that I seriously didn't have a clue.
I do like a book that I can emote with and I did go on quite a roller-coaster ride with this one. I laughed, I cried, I cringed, I shouted at most of the characters loads too.
Honestly, if I could give this book more stars I would.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky murder story, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book because it was quirky and different , not read anything by Rosen Trevithick before but I would read other books of hers .

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
Glad I didn't pay for this one. Took me a while to get into it and I thought the storyline was ridiculous. I am one of those people who has to finish a book once started. I wish I didn't start reading this book! There's a few hours I am never going to get back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total escapism, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
This is a great book to escape with. Slightly goofy and entertaining. Just what I needed at the moment. Makes for very easy reading. I'm just about to download another book by Rosen Trevithick so l must have enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and hilarious satire on indie publishing, 8 May 2013
Alex Roddie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
This book pleasantly surprised me in several ways. Firstly it was longer than expected (always a bonus!), the plot was more intricate than expected, and best of all, the references to indie books and indie publishing were both intelligent and insightful--and woven deeply into the plot. The satire varied between subtle references and overt slapstick, but it all worked well and had me laughing at many points. The author also has a delightful grasp on using language to comic effect and, as I've come to expect from reading some of her other books, there are many brilliant one-liners.

The plot is very much in the line of a whodunnit, albeit centering on the warped world of indie writers. It genuinely had me guessing almost to the very end. The denouement was surprising and clever, wrapping up every element of the plot with a pleasing sense of resonance.

Yes, the characters are outrageous and overblown, but that's very much the point. However, I can see how a reader unfamiliar with indie publishing might miss some of these references and be left scratching their heads at a few points.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
What a brilliant book, couldn't put it down. This is the second book I have read from Rosen Trevithick, I will be reading more. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-out-loud, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
Laugh-out-loud funny, wonderfully observed, and intelligent.

Rosen Trevithick very cleverly throws up, then dashes, clues aplenty. So often I thought I'd got it, only to find moments later that I was still scratching my head. I was delightfully lost most of the time.

The ending seemed to speed up rather and to lose structure (so many loose ends to tie up), however this did not detract from the overall impression that Pompomberry House is a high quality, deeply entertaining and clever book by a very talented writer.

Natasha Holme
Author of 'Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder'

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun read .., 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
Great fun read, not what I normally go for but glad I found the link for this when it was free. Loved the plot, very funny, up to date .. still giggling over the bit discussing whether 'oh my' is ok to use for a 'sexy time' scene .. will keep an eye out for this author ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Pom Pom Berry Good!, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
This is a fun little story about a group of writers that converge to write a book but it all ends up in murder and some very strange scenarios. I really enjoyed this, it had a fun, quirky sense of humour to it and made me laugh enough to pass the comedy test. The story kept me guessing as to where it would finally end up and despite the characters being purposely annoying I actually thought they were a fun bunch of misfits. Rosen always provides a good read and I would really recommend this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Pompomberry House
Pompomberry House by Rosen Trevithick (Paperback - 19 Sep 2012)