5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking good entertainment!!
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not sure I've previously come across a heroine who is a librarian, nor a tough guy secret agent whose mother features in his adventures.

It's not giving away any secrets to say that the Vestal Virgins are involved because the book's first chapter is set in 54AD when a young girl is taken from her family to join the temple...
Published on 4 Jun 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars surprised
Published on 18 Sep 2012 by Sally Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking good entertainment!!, 4 Jun 2012

For the next chapter we switch to the current time when a mysterious coin is brought for identification to our heroine India Sommers at her library. India is also a historian and expert on old coins and is asked to help the police after the coin's owner is murdered and the library burned down. But is the policeman who he says he is?

Chapters alternate between the story of Rubria, a Vestal Virgin in Roman times and India in an increasingly dangerous investigation as bodies are discovered and signs of an ancient and powerful secret cult are uncovered.

The author has the knack of making both threads so gripping you are irritated when you have to swap to the other one and then you don't want to return because you are so involved in the then current story.

Historical facts and actual places are weaved into this story with real skill, and this is a book you will not want to put down as it hammers along at a terrific pace.

Cracking good entertainment!!

3.0 out of 5 stars surprised, 18 Sep 2012
Surprised that this has received so many 5 star reviews. I agree that the plot is clever and that the 2 time lines work well together ...but the writing is not good. There is little distinctive characterisation, most characters speaking in the same rather slangy way. I could not get used to a Vestal Virgin saying things like 'OK' and 'Hang on a minute'. The lack of physical description of the characters, except references to the Virgin's stunning blue eyes and golden hair, made it hard to get any empathy with them. Makes the Dan Brown mistake of huge chunks of historical exposition in the most unlikely places. Also the use of Lecter for Lictor gave a rather odd frisson! Overall a good idea, but execution leaves a lot to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading escapism, 31 May 2012
Brilliant story line - fantastic mix of history, suspense and intrigue. The story is told in two eras but the mix is seamless and at no point was I confused as to where I was, as can happen when author's try to do this. Easy reading, excellent historical portrayal of life and times without being heavy at any point (I'm not a great lover of historical fiction usually for this reason). Would fully recommend this book to anyone looking for a good old fashioned escapism reading experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Nov 2013
The Dead Virgins story line is quite well woven.
However, the number of spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and historical inaccuracy made me, as a teacher, furious that a publisher's proof reader could miss so many and that there were so many mistakes in the first place.
Also some of it - when India was giving the background to Vesta- made me wonder if some was cut and pasted.
The writing is not particularly original.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, enjoyable read, 8 Feb 2013
The Dead Virgins is a quick and enjoyable read. I don't know a great deal about the historical period in the book ( Ancient Rome) but it all sounded 'right' as if the author had done plenty of research.
The book alternates back and forth between Nero's Rome and the present day where India ( a specialist in the period) and Brandon , a Special Forces operative are about to team up to solve an ancient mystery.
Even though there were a few jarring moments in the historical sections with the use of phrases like -
"Centurion, are you okay?" And "Hang on, said Rubria, I'll get you a drink." -I did really enjoy this thread of the story.
Rubria is a Vestal Virgin living during the dangerous times of Nero's rule and the burning of Rome is also nicely woven into the narrative.
I was less sure of the modern thread where India hardly bats an eyelid as she is recruited by a man she has just met and sets off on a dangerous mission. There is a lot of banter, quite Indiana Jones in places; maybe the historical thread would have been complimented a little better by a slightly more 'serious' modern story.
However, I was really impressed by the way the two threads were skilfully woven together making an enjoyable and fun read that pulled me along at a fair pace. And after a complex plot there is also a good and satisfying ending.
As other reviewers have mentioned, some closer attention to editing would improve the reading experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced action spanning two millennia!, 8 Jun 2012
Melodie K. Starkey (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
The Dead Virgins is a fabulous mystery/adventure, leaping continents and jumping through 2 millennia as the hero and heroine follow a trail of dead bodies and historical clues in search of a kidnapped child. The author builds the story around the ancient tie-in meticulously and delivers it partly through dialogue and partly through flash-back chapters, making it seem completely believable and yet not dragging down the chase by dumping too many facts on the page all at once.

The reader is quickly involved with the characters, championing them on as they overcome obstacles and holding your breath as they run up against dead ends. Either of the two stories being told in tandem here would be a good read; together they are superb.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did no-one read this before it was published?, 21 Dec 2014
What can I say? When you restrict your reading to Kindle deals of the day for the sake of economy, you know most of these frogs aren't going to turn into handsome princes with a virtual kiss.
Started off ok, The writer, had done his research, I'm assuming it was accurate, however huge chunks of the 'pre-story' was delivered in the form of a lecture from the knowledgeable India. I think this book was supposed to be the new Da Vinci Code - ancient artefact- nasty religious cult concealed by the mantle of Christianity....nasty deaths.
Was it self published? Are there no longer such things as editors, or even proof readers? The worst thing about this book was the writing. The setting switches between ancient Rome and Modern Britain. There are a few clichéd attempts to sound ancient Roman, but the anachronisms are grating. Whatever a Roman priestess might say to indicate her assent its not going to be ok. Ok? Am I being too picky?? What about the misplaced apostrophes? The you're instead of your; calling the 21st century heroine by the name of the 1st century one. The girl who twists her ankle dropping into the dark which is never mentioned in the subsequent escape.
I have to say my heart sank as the hero announced he was going to open a specialist detective agency so look out for more along the same lines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 4 July 2012
jonathan43 (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have to say I am fast becoming an avid fan of this authors work. The more of his books I read the better each is. The Dead Virgins is another cracking fast paced story. Is the first of at least three according to the authors blog site ( well worth a visit ), and I hope more will follow. I won't give any of the story away, but will add these two things. Firstly I am already half way through the second excellent book, Secondly if I had to describe the style of story then it's a handful of Cussler with a pinch of McNab, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for more!, 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Dead Virgins (Paperback)
I bought this book after readingRoman by the same author and this one kept me just as enthralled if not more so, the links between the two different stories are really good and keep you wanting more and it was also great after finishing the book to be able to go and look for some of the characters historical facts on wikipedia, I was glued to this book for the time i was reading it and can't wait for more instalments with the characters and to find out what else they will get up to! The writing is so easy to read without being simple, I found myself picking it up to read all the time even while waiting for a bus or before coming out to work. There are so many parts in this book that leave you wanting to know what's going to happen next that i took every opportunity i could to read it. It is descriptive, exciting and moorish! This is a great read and i would and have, recommended it highly :) definitely worth the price of the download, you should get it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Short of Incredible, 5 Jun 2012
I love this book! I was captivated from the first sentence, and the story kept me on edge through the entire book. I did not want to put it down, and couldn't read it fast enough.

It's the perfect mix of history, intrigue, suspense, and excellent story telling! He combined this with the seamless integration of multiple eras in a way that seemed completely natural. It's truly masterful, and I think the author is a very gifted writer.

It's the kind of story that stays with you, well beyond the ending of the book.

I can't wait to read all of his work. I'm a fan for life!

The Dead Virgins
The Dead Virgins by K. M. Ashman (Paperback - 5 May 2012)
Used & New from: £24.99