5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent selection of essays..., 20 Feb 2014
Wil Andersen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Film After Film: Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema (Paperback)
..on films of the 21st century. Many originated as reviews at the time of the films' release; others come from a series of university courses taught by the author. There are many popular and well known films covered but also a number that were new to me. I have ended up buying around a dozen DVDs of films I either did not know of or had casually (and probably wrongly) dismissed.

It is entertainingly written without being in any way populist. I intended to flick though it and just note any films I might want to buy but have ended up reading it from cover to cover. It is very US centric as you might expect (written before I had read the last 50 pages which focus largely on non-US films - again some very interesting and thoughtful reviews of films that were new to me) but none the worse for that. It is exceptionally good on the political and cultural context in which the film makers operated over the past 30 years. It is, unsurprisingly, written from a liberal perspective - and very much none the worse for that!

If you are interested in the cinema then I do recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, 8 Jan 2013
Given as a Christmas present off a wish list. I have had no complaints from the recipient, so it must be

ARRAY(0xaf8a64bc)

Film After Film: Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema
Film After Film: Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema by J. Hoberman (Paperback - 5 Nov 2013)
8.49