5.0 out of 5 stars From a veteran's perspective
Many vets will tell you that if you have never seen war, you couldn't possibly understand it and, therefore, you have no right to speak about it. Before I joined the US Marine Corps, I never questioned these silencing tactics. But now, as a veteran of the occupation of Iraq, it is very clear to me that the men on the front lines do not possess any sort of special...
Published 13 months ago by RossCaputi

3.0 out of 5 stars Let's just avoid the politics why not?
I saw all the commotion surrounding this book, having worked with 13 Reg as a Medic, and I just had to read it. I felt that, beyond all the obnoxious comments, I wanted to hear what Joe has to say.
I felt that the book was well written and well-edited. Joe clearly enjoys writing and puts his point across with enthusiasm. It did keep me wanting to read on, and keep...
Published 12 months ago by Meatball51

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Soldier Box: Why I Won't Return to the War on Terror (Paperback)
Joe has written beautifully in this eye opening book. He courage and honesty permeates through every word in his book. A definite recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and admirable, 20 May 2013
Good read, finished it in a day as I couldn't put it down.why are y'all giving these negative reviews having clearly not read it? Such bad vibes man, I think with that much aggression you must be quite unhappy :-( and Joe Glenton I would only pity these lost ignorants, your a hero dude. Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Cariad, 19 May 2013
This is a very personal,honestly written analysis of the writer's experience of the war in Afghanistan and as such, adds to the whole debate of whether Britain should be involved over there.Joe is very clear about his reasons for joining the army and his increasing disillusionment with the war being waged there. It also has sections where I laughed out loud at the ludicrous "Catch 22" antics that Joe experienced.Great and illuminating read-thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars No lies, just one person's verifiable experience, 20 May 2013
This is a factual account of Joe's time in the army. It is all verifiable if you care to research and a good read if you like truth and honest opinion. Call me biased, but I was there from the start and I saw the effect this had on Joe. For all the people denying the PTSD diagnosis, this was confirmed by both military and civilian specialists, and people can suffer from mental health issues without ever being involved in conflict. I suggest you read the book before reviewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoughtful and insightful read, 27 May 2013
C. J. Hart (Lancaster, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I thought this was a fascinating and very insightful view of the experience of being in the army. It is tough once one gets into the army in good faith and then goes to war. Once one has killed someone in conflict it is then very hard to let go of the belief in the ideology of Britain as a moral force in the world as reason for one's actions Bravely Mr Glenton, like a limited number of brave people has had the ability to really question why we are constantly in conflict overseas while virtually never getting attacked here - our demand for resource and control everywhere. I have just read some of the personally unpleasant comments on this book - it is scary that the people who write these kinds of things are those also fighting supposedly in my name. Sadly when folks are in denial that is what happens

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful account, 24 May 2013
K. Draper - See all my reviews
Dealing with not only the war in Afghanistan but also the inner workings of the British Army, this book gives an insight into "our boys" and what the political elite uses them for. It is like Catch 22 without the jokes.

This book explains in painstaking detail how non-officers are treated by those in command. Not only is bullying normalised in the British Army but PTSD is not taken seriously either. The book shows that if British soldiers feel they are being asked to commit war crimes, they have no way of registering their objections in a meaningful way without opening themselves up to abuse and legal reprisals.

The book is concise and well-written, I would particularly recommend anyone thinking about joining the armed forces to take a look (whether you think the war in Afghanistan is justified or not, you may also face a situation where you believe your orders are illegal)

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 13 Feb 2014
Insightful look account of what we are really doing in the Middle East, and the socioeconomic context of those fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Also a thoroughly enjoyable read. It really felt like the author took the reader on his journey to becoming a conscientious objector. We need more real bravery like this. Big up Joe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of bottle, 20 May 2013
Real insight into what goes through the mind of someone in this position. Well done Joe for having the courage to do what you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheep are not brave... Joe Glenton is in that he returned to fight the government, 19 May 2013
I could not put this book down and it is so compellingly written. I am not surprised that the Army noted Joe Glenton's communications skills in his reports and promoted him to Lance Corporal 3 years early.

His refusal to return to Afghanistan put himself at great personal risk for what he believes in. Also it is not lost on Joe that the soldiers sent of to fight illegal wars based on lies are often the most negatively affected. The racism in the military esp US Core is no doubt escalating the war and getting many british soldiers killed. Something Joe refused to participate in and unlike some people who disappear from the army and are never pursued he returned to take on the might of the MOD and stick two fingers up at the politicians who sent so many troops to their deaths based on lies and the greed of imperialism. For this Joe is brave and courageous something he showed in his time as a soldier and when he took on the illegal war in afghanistan only for the Government to cow tail and run form him in the court process.

It is quite clear form the book as he spent 9 months back on base with his fellow soldiers and they supported his stance and felt he was speaking for them. 5 stars and a thoroughly entertaining read and another punch in the guts to the government delivered bruisingly by Joe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from ex Royal Marine Commando, 1 Jun 2013
What my Father (82 year old ex Royal Marine) had to say after finishing the book:
'That Joe writes well & is bloody brave. I served in Malaysia & Egypt, my father served in Afghanistan. War changes nothing. At least he (Joe) had the guts to stand up to them & say it like it is. He shouldn't have gone to prison, he should have been given a bloody medal.'

Soldier Box: Why I Won't Return to the War on Terror
Soldier Box: Why I Won't Return to the War on Terror by Joe Glenton (Paperback - 15 May 2013)
9.09