Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 February 2015
Firstly I have to point out that I knew the author quite well professionally but previously I was only vaguely aware of this part of his life. This memoir recalls a remarkable period of history and a seminal set of historical events though the intelligent eyes of a young boy as he develops to become a young adult. Exceptionally few of us would have the fortitude, positive spirit and generosity of character to endure and surmount the challenges described. What is very evident from the book is its absolute authenticity particularly to those of us who had the privilege of sharing time with Felix. At an event to mark his 80th I asked him what motivated his career in research? His riposte was to say, "Well after the war I had rather given up on people and I wanted to understand the physics of things". This book decodes this slightly cryptic remark in a quiet reflective voice that draws you magnetically into his remarkable story.
on 11 August 2013
A moving book, I would have liked more detail on the camps but still found the story very interesting and would recommend it.
on 26 July 2015
Read this book. I met the man briefly. I know his son. I was unaware of his history until he went to my village in San Telmo and made friends with a neighbour of mine who had been on the opposite side of the wire. What a wonderful man. A moving story told without recrimination.
on 23 March 2014
We should all read this wonderful man's story. No self pity and we could all learn from this easy to read book.
on 10 August 2015
A very honest account, straightforward and compelling.
on 29 September 2015
Amazingly power account
on 22 June 2013
This was an ok book but a little disappointing the author,spoke mainly about his life
and growing up,most of what he wrote about the Holocaust had been said in other books,
so there was nothing new,so not very interesting,but I still continued to read it anyway.