5.0 out of 5 stars Grand so.
Johnsey is a brilliantly drawn character reminiscent of the childlike Lennie in Of Mice and Men (Penguin Classics). A gentle, simple soul who is virtually incapable of expressing himself verbally, Johnsey maintains a convincing inner dialogue throughout the book, taking the reader, month by month, through the tragic events that happen in one year of his life and the...
Published 9 months ago by Sue Kichenside

3.0 out of 5 stars Great read,
Enjoyed the book immensely. Grew up in North TIpp and recognised the local lingo Liked his style and well done.
Published 9 months ago by Gerry O'connell

5.0 out of 5 stars great novel, 3 Mar 2014
An interesting novel, I would recommend it as a good read to anyone who reads fiction or chick lit. Great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The prose is so rich and wonderful it should be savoured and read out loud, 7 Dec 2014
An astonishing book that i came across by chance in my local library.
I was taken straight back to my childhood in 50"s London and became familiar again with
the speech of my parents,, the absurd humour and turn of phrase they used.Ryan manages to capture the
essence of Irishness,The prose is so rich and wonderful it should be savoured and read out loud.
My heart ached for Johnsey his loneliness and apartness echoing the lives of members of my own family who stayed at home with their parents on the farm whilst their siblings married and emigrated.They in turn never grew up but remained childlike and maudlin..separated and cosseted from the big wide dangerous world.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 4 Aug 2014
I loved this book. I am the parent of a child with a disability so the idea of how life might be for this child after I am gone is a lifelong question.
The protagonist is the narrator and it is so interesting to see how a person can be misunderstood and unable to explain his motives. Really heart breaking and yet funny at times. I felt that I knew each character and became so fond of them. I missed them when I had finished the book. You will love this book....sad too.

5.0 out of 5 stars McBride's is a poor imitation of James Joyce, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Thing About December (Hardcover)
I read this after attempting to read Eimear McBride. There is no comparison. McBride's is a poor imitation of James Joyce, lacking the skill. Ryan's portrayal of a young man with learning difficulties is so astonishingly accurate that it takes the breath away. Superb portrayal, full of wit, pathos and tension. Who could ask for more ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 1 April 2014
This review is from: The Thing About December (Hardcover)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, finished it quickly as I wanted to find out ....
Sad in places but very well written, great descriptive style would recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars playboy of the ....., 26 Jan 2014
Thoroughly recommendable. Funny, poignant, insightful, moving, painful. A rare talent to be applauded and celebrated. Beautiful dialogue and a skillfully crafted narrative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted to encounter this terrific new Irish author., 22 Jan 2014
One of the saddest and most moving novels I have read in a long time. Terrific characterisation. He brings man's inhumanity to man into startling clarity.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Thing About December (Hardcover)
I have only read the first 21 pages yet I am completely drawn in to this book. This a very rare event for me of late where so many novels I start fail the test of authenticity and (paradoxically) seem over-researched.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Thing About December (Hardcover)
I've read this book a few times now and I get more from it on each reading. It's heartbreaking and hilarious and I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary writing., 11 Nov 2014
A wonderful portrait of a victim of circumstance. The main character's year is an emotional rollercoaster for the reader. We all long for the old certainties we knew in childhood just as Johnsey does. Everyone can empathise with him and his situation as the story unfolds.

The Thing About December
The Thing About December by Donal Ryan (Hardcover - 2 Jan 2014)