5.0 out of 5 stars An Unknown Mistress
Before reading this novel, I knew nothing about Richard III's alleged mistress of Richard, as all the stories I have read speaks of a devotion to his wife, Anne Neville, daughter of the Kingmaker. However Ms Ashworth makes a very convincing case for Anne Harrington being his lover and the mother of his surviving children, an heiress at the mercy of a guardian of the...
Published 12 months ago by Anita Davison

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Stilted dialogue, unsympathetic characters.
Richard found guilty of the crimes history accuses him of with no evidence at all.
A statement at the end reveals that it was never a serious attempt at finding out the truth.
I would not recommend it
Published 6 months ago by Mec

5.0 out of 5 stars A different aspect to Richard's story, 18 Mar 2014
This storyline is unusual in that it shows Richard's first love and his mistress forming a consistent part of his life, until of course his marriege to Ann Neville.
It shows Richard to be a very honourable man in a time of dishonourable doings. Although I disagree entirely with the author's premise that Richard had anything to do with old Henry's death. He was entirely bound in loyalty yo his older brother,Edward, whose cohorts might certainly had a hand in Henry's death.
The characters are plausable, the narrative flowing and of course, the climax harrowing. It is a very sad period in our nation's history:all the more poignant because so many people now are voicing their feelings for King Richard's remains be brought to York for proper burial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: By Loyalty Bound (Hardcover)
It had me riveted right from the start and showed great depth of research into the customs and laws of the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, 26 May 2014
I think this book missed the opportunity to explore the complicated character of Richard 111 and his relationship with his brothers in particular and the country as a whole. This could have been incorporated into the storyline more effectively. I feel that a warm relationship between Anne Harrington and the Kingmaker's daughter Anne Neville would have been quite impossible given the attitudes towards women and illegitimacy at that time and that given the difference in their status it is fanciful in the extreme to suggest it existed - even though this is a novel and not based on historical fact !

1.0 out of 5 stars Far fetched, 18 Sep 2013
I feel I cannot give this book any more than one star. In light of how much we actually know about Richard and his life, why then would anyone have him take a mistress? We know what kind of man Richard was. I have to say I found the book slow, repetitive and hard to believe. Would not recommend. Edit: it's very rare I don't finish a book; I gave up on this less than half way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Loyalty Bound, 10 Jun 2014
R. Skinner - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book very much as an avid reader of historical novels it rates of one of the best the description of the characters and events where excellent you could almost be there. The only disappointment was there was no real evidence that Anne was his mistress or the mother of his children.

1.0 out of 5 stars huge dissapointment, 21 Jun 2014
Neta-lie Gross (israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: By Loyalty Bound (Hardcover)
I love historical fiction; and really love books about the wars of the roses and Richard the 3rd
but this book is so shallow; the main character is such a naïve fool/
left the book in the middle

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: By Loyalty Bound (Hardcover)
Most enjoyable some more than others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Feb 2014
Reading the write up of this - I was extremely disappointed on reading - and is one of the first R3 books that I have almost not finished. I was very interested in the tale of Hornby Castle - but the lead character just didnt draw me into the settings at all and in the end I had no interest in what happened to her at the end.
I found her very two dimensional - and some of the scenes between her and Richard made me cringe slightly.
It was a shame - as I thought it was going to be really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug 2014
Informative

By Loyalty Bound
By Loyalty Bound by Elizabeth Ashworth (Hardcover - 3 July 2013)