1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I would call an alternative history, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: An Alternative History of Britain: The Anglo-Saxon Age (Hardcover)
The Author undoubtedly knows his period and it is by no means a bad introduction to the Anglo Saxons in Britain .Though there are more conventional books on the same subject which would achieve a similar result.What I found an issue was its title which seemed to imply a counter factual history of the period.This to me read like a conventional history book with an alternative element tagged on to each chapter.Not an attempt to create an alternative history. What i sought would have required an element of imagination and fictional work. The fact this is published by a serious military history publisher should have given me a warning that it would not veer from actual history in any major way.I was looking for a what if history of the period and for me this was not what I got.There are other periods covered by the same publisher on the Hundred years War and the War of the Roses which I will avoid as I assume they will follow the same format.

An Alternative History of Britain: The Anglo-Saxon Age
An Alternative History of Britain: The Anglo-Saxon Age by Timothy Venning (Hardcover - 17 Jan. 2013)