5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent research tool
Published 16 months ago by Mrs. Susan A. Watkins

3.0 out of 5 stars A helpful guide for the beginner
Published 12 months ago by John Burt

3.0 out of 5 stars A helpful guide for the beginner, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tracing Your First World War Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians (Tracing Your Ancestors) (Paperback)
It's good. Simon Fowler, a well-reagrded military historian, has produced this timely revised guide to assist people tracing their WW1 ancestors in the lead-up to the centenary of the outbreak of WW1 on 4th August 2014. He describes the key sources at the National Archives at Kew and at Regimental Museums and gives details of many useful online resources. Simon's book provides a good resource for the beginner and I am happy to recommend it. However, I was a bit disappointed by the number of errors in the finer detail - particularly those regarding war medals. Nevertheless, overall, it is a good resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent research tool, 6 May 2013
I bought this book because I wanted to try and find out about the war experience of one of my grandfathers, who has so far remained elusive. The book does not disappoint as it gives lots of avenues to try, apart from the obvious. What I liked about the book was the many examples of research and views of the actual documents you might hope to find. I feel it would be of interest to complete beginners and more experienced alike. I cannot say that I have yet put the research into practice, but there are a couple of points of interest to follow, so maybe some results in the future. Altogether a worthwhile buy.