Format: Hardcover|Change

This was always going to be a no-brain winner with Mrs Wolf. I recently
bought a copy for Her birthday as a companion piece to a StormTrooper
helmet also sourced from within these pages. She's a very happy bunny!

It's a big hardback book, measuring 30 cms x 27cms and weighs a ton.
I'm not a hardcore aficionado but from what I am able to deduce 'The
Making Of Star Wars', published in 2007, assumes the status of something
approaching the Holy Grail among fans of the 1977 classic movie. It is packed
full of photographs, illustrations and diagrams; fascinating production details and
interviews with both cast and crew. It's quite likely that I will even read it myself!

The Force would appear to be alive and well in The Wolf Cave these days!

Highly Recommended.
on 27 November 2014
For film-makers, star wars fans, film buffs, writers, directors, actors, or really anyone who has an interest in film and the making of film this is a fascinating insight into the development, making and distribution one of the most iconic films in history.
on 16 March 2011
I consider myself lucky enough to have been around when this movie was released, although I didn't see the movie until almost a year after it's original US release (May 1977), owing to the then time lag beteen the release of a movie in the US/Canada and UK. I remember the exeprince like it was yesterday; Monday 31 January 1978 at the Odeon Film Centre in Glasgow, Scotland. A school day, but as luck (or fate) would have it, the schools heating system broke down and half my year travelled en masse on that very cold January morning to catch the first showing of this now cinematic milestone. This book brought it all back and I'd highly recommend it to fans of the original movie. Superbly illustrated and with many never before seen photographs this truely is the definitive "Making Of" and I'd order it while you can. Note that it's no longer available in this format on the high street having been replaced with a much smaller heavily edited paperback version. Having seen both, this hardcover version is the only way to go. Incidentally 2010's "The Making of the Empire Strikes Back" is also superb and I'd also highly recommend. Five stars and worth every penny.
on 11 August 2009
Simply a must for all Star Wars fans. It fills some old holes in from your childhood.
on 12 February 2014
I've been waiting for this book on the Kindle and with the enhancements ( audio and video ) I knew 20th Century Fox weren't to impressed with the movie but to find out how much they were dragging their feet, is a real insight..
A good read, impressive even..
on 9 December 2014
If this book does one thing, it shows that there was no accident in Star Wars becoming the phenomenon that it did.

From musical leifmotifs, developing computer camera control, a myriad of conceptual designs and costumes, it documents in detail the four year journey that was breathtaking in its maturity for such a young film maker. Much like JFK's cabinet, Lucas surrounded himself with best-in-class specialists and truly maximised their potential.

What makes the book so good is that it doesn't scrimp on detail. This is no lightly browsable coffee table puffery, but uncompromising in its coverage. If you have any interest in how films are made, and the highly technical world of a sci-fi fil m at that, then this will not disappoint.
on 20 October 2014
A fantastic book. I went for the kindle version for convenience of reading but also because of the many included audio clips, ranging from early conversations with Mr Lucas and his phenomenal creative team to the stars of the film.
For Star Wars fans this is a must - not just for the amazing photo's , facts and audio clips, but for the fascinating insight into the difficulty George Lucas experienced making this film. It is a testament to his perseverance and absolute belief in what he was writing. After reading the book, you can see how close it came to never being released. I, like many others, am very grateful that he pushed on with his dream.
on 27 September 2014
This is the most comprehensive making of books yet and is totally mesmerizing. To see the struggle and pressure Lucas was put under and through constant problems, how he got Star Wars from draft to screen is a thrilling read. To have this book on the kindle is great as you get all the extras and there are some very good snippets which I've never come across before. If you like the saga or just interested in the movie process, this is for you.
on 18 March 2009
Anyone who can appreciate the extremely complicated process that is film making will enjoy this book.
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2008
This book was sent to me as a review book, which puts me in a rather unique place. I am a fan of the films, I have them all on DVD, and I remember being fascinated when I watched a documentary concerning the making, the special effects etc. However, this isn't the sort of book that I would usually buy for myself, and I certainly don't call myself an expert.

With all this said, my initial reaction upon seeing the book was simply "wow" - it's a large hardback, with a grand total of 357 pages. That feeling of awe remained as I flicked through the pages.. there are some fantastic photos and drawings, many of which are early versions of characters etc, who never made it to the film. Others, however, are very well known.. seeing an early drawing of Darth Vader had me grinning like a child!

There's also a wealth of information within the book, most of which I haven't had a chance to read yet. For some fans, they may wish to sit and read from cover to cover, but for me, the joy of this book is dipping in and out, reading a little at a time. Having not read any other books about the film, I have no idea how much of this is fresh information, but the publisher say that included is information from many previously unseen interviews.

If you're a casual fan, wishing to take a deeper look at the history of the film, then this book must be highly recommended, it's certainly something that I will be going back to again and again. Even at full price, as this is a book full of information and photos, and one that you will want to keep, it's value for money.

If a dedicated fan, you can find more information about the content at the publishers site. Various reviews, however, from those with a deeper knowledge than myself, seem to believe that this is a premium book on the subject.

The cover looks fantastic, the photos inside look fantastic, and the content certainly appears impressive. For anyone with an interest in the film, I would urge you to buy it. :0)