Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 September 2015
There was a buzz around the middle weight division in England when these three featured boxers were in their prime. Okay so they weren't in the same league as Sugar Ray Robinson, Jack LaMotta, Tony Zale etc. but they were 'ours' and the battles they had were highly anticipated and until they moved from terrestrial TV watched by millions. My favourite of the three was always Chris Eubank, I just liked his style, the arrogance he knew how good he was, he was a precursor for the footballer Eric Cantona (another of my favourite sportsmen). This book shows how the three middleweights arrived as they did at the top of the domestic boxing elite. It also details the social life of the three in context of the times

The book shows how unlucky Watson was, he could well have been a world champion like the other two (Eubank and Benn), but instead suffered a serious injury in the ring. This was an enthralling book and brought back all sorts of memories of the time when boxing was on the 'tele'.

Sanjeev Shetty has done a good job with the descriptions of the actual fights, it's an easy to read book and a treet for all boxing fans.
on 2 September 2014
This era kept me entranced through my childhood and the 3 men discussed were hero-like gladiatorial figures to me. I vividly remember watching the battles on TV and was even at the tragic Eubank v Watson re-match. This book is superbly written and brings everything flooding back from this amazing period as if it were yesterday.

I've read a lot of sports book but can honestly say this is one of the very best I've read down the years as it transports you back to the late 80s/early 90s and makes you re-live it all over again. For any sports fan and certainly any boxing fan this is an absolute must-read.
on 15 July 2014
No Middle Ground is a poignant look back by author Sanjeev Shetty to those times when there seemed to be so much more at stake on Saturday night TV - it wasn't 15 minutes of C-list fame that Watson, Benn and Eubank were after, but the blood-soaked glory of win after win in the boxing ring, all at each other's expense. Shetty demonstrates his expertise and love of the sport in this slick book, but also captures beautifully the atmosphere of an era that knew nothing of reality TV. Not just boxing fans will appreciate the attention to detail and blow-by-blow accounts of the bouts that helped define an era.
on 9 August 2014
This is exceptional. Very considered with many valuable insights. I'm a huge fan of boxing bios and am struggling to remember one better than this. I enjoyed the fact people were more revealing now time has passed and dust settled, for some at least. Very highly recommended.
on 30 July 2015
You can tell the author loves the subject. This book is great at evoking that era when all of us could watch boxing on terrestrial TV and when there were some really great rivalries. This book is very well researched and written in an involving way. Thoroughly recommended
on 9 January 2015
Fabulous book. Brought back great memories. Excellent to read from so many different perspectives.
on 15 June 2014
I would not say that I’m a big boxing fan but, when I was given this book I was interested to read it as I do remember the period. This is probably through the Michael Watson accident and Chris Eubank appearing on our local TV news snappily dressed and with his big American truck in the background. My lack of boxing knowledge was of no consequence though as the author takes you through the background and motivations of each boxer as the story of their meetings, bouts and feelings for each other unfolds.

The book has depth as it has clearly been well researched with interviews and quotations from the major players in what was a special period in boxing history. I particularly liked the inclusion of the social and political references from the time and how they affected the actions and behaviours of the protagonists.

On the lead up to each bout, the author builds up the excitement that make you want to read on to find out what happened and I found the final chapters covering the retirement periods and the readjustment to post-boxing life to be on the one hand a little sad, but also inspiring.

This book is a good read, written in a very easy style and I would recommend it to the boxing enthusiast, to relive this era and also people like me, who will read a book on a subject they are less familiar with.
on 10 February 2015
Reasonable and well written book on some excellent fighters
on 4 August 2015
I couldn't wait to read this book, being brought up watching these mega fights and seeing the hostility particularly between benn and eubank made fascinating viewing, I was always a benn fan and to read the inside story between these 3 great fighters was amazing, I had the whole book read in just over 3 hours, I simply couldn't put it down, brilliant from start to finish
on 22 May 2016
Bought for a present and was greatly received