5.0 out of 5 stars trenchant and stimulating, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Anti-Ugly: Excursions in English Architecture and Design (Hardcover)
Gavin Stamp provides us with a selection of his articles for Apollo monthly. Each is about 1300 words and on a different subject. The essays are quite wide-ranging and they are almost all stimulating and trenchant. Some of his views on non-architectural matters are typically academic and bien-pensant, and there is a very silly paragraph on global warming, but never mind: it is his views on architecture and design that you buy the book for. These are consistently in favour of good-quality building which is sensitive to its surroundings and has character; and he calls attention to some unfashionable causes, such as villas and prisons. I enjoyed this and strongly recommend it to anyone interested in architecture and design. It might help if like him (and me) you think the Victorian age produced a lot of good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... range of articles from an author whose writing I enjoy and whose views I share, 11 Feb. 2015
This is an interesting range of articles from an author whose writing I enjoy and whose views I share, especially on the treatment of neglected buildings.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 25 Feb. 2015
Gavin Stamp is wonderful. If I come back in another life, I'd like to be him. Fascinating, funny, and we hope, influential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book, 30 Nov. 2014
Great read One of the bestime authors

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought this book, 12 April 2015
Still working my way through the various chapters, but the book is really changing my views on many elements of architecture and architects. Glad I bought this book, makes you think.

Anti-Ugly: Excursions in English Architecture and Design
Anti-Ugly: Excursions in English Architecture and Design by Gavin Stamp (Hardcover - 7 Nov. 2013)