Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 24 September 2014
This is one of the best books I have ever read...and I read a lot! It is magnificent in its descriptions ..every page breathes with life.His understanding of the artist's perception of the world around is uncanny...I was transported to the island and its layers of society. Unfortunately, the prejudices against colour still exist, and I admired the restraint he used to show them then. It was an excellent portait of a society in flux.
The depictions of the actual paintings were so hypnotic that I was grieving that it was all imagination untiI I finished the book and discovered that MJ Cazabon was real. Having googled the paintings I can see why the author wrote this book...they are magnificent.
I studied the history of art and am ashamed not to have heard of this wonderful artist. Thank you for the discovery.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2012
Towards the coming of the end of slavery & colonialisation this novel asks two questions: what price is freedom worth? Can people & land be liberated through the artists hand as Jean Cazabon sets out to capture the lives of the rich and the entrapped. Caught between two worlds of patronage and passion for his country and its oppressed people. This novel Walks you through the sensory landscape of Trinidad from the point of view as an artist on the edge of his own identity and as a flaneur spoilt by its extraordinary beauty.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse