on 19 November 2013
What a fascinating review of Humankind's fascination with numbers over millennia. Given its structure it makes great bedside or loo reading.
on 17 November 2013
A fascinating and unusual dip into what the numerals we take for granted actually mean. There are lots of stories connected to each one. A great little book to give as a present, but I might buy another and keep this one for myself!
on 2 February 2014
I recommend this as a good coffee-table or bathroom book; interesting to dip into, but not particularly entertaining for a longer period of time. I have a 45-minute commute, and ended up getting a little bit bored after 15 minutes! It's full of interesting facts, but is very superficial; i felt like the author could have gone into a little more detail on some of the stories and facts - just as i was beginning to think "oh that's interesting!" the author moved onto the next section.

That said, it really is quite interesting, and the author has clearly researched and found some interesting gobbets of information to share. Whilst the detail was a little lacking for me, it appears to be designed to inspire rather than educate - and in that, it achieves 5/5. For me, i wanted to know more. It wasn't enough to leave an impression on me. It is worth a look-see though, and this may sound like a criticism (but it very honestly isn't!!) this would be the PERFECT toilet reading!
on 8 March 2014
I ordered this book after I heard the author talking about it on the radio. It lived up to all my expectations - interesting, surprising and impossible to put down. Love it!
on 21 October 2014
Bought on a whim, read in an evening, very little to engage if you are already a fan of numbers and number facts. Some maths and lots of folklore and myth.
on 9 September 2015
Intrigues by the title, I purchased this but felt a little lost reading though, I tink a brief dive in is called for.
on 2 February 2014
I bought this as a Christmas present. So far various people have dipped into it, and found the contents fascinating.
on 23 December 2013
This is a really poor (in many ways) publication. A few facts are interesting, the rest are, at best trivial, at worst just plain nonsense.
on 12 November 2014
Not what I expected. I incorrectly thought it would be more arithmetical/mathematical
on 17 February 2016