My hubby is the Trekkie and I'm definitely not but when it arrived the book itself was so beautifully produced, I couldn't resist a flick through before hiding it away for Christmas, but then I couldn't actually put it down - blush-

As a historian I was intrigued by the historical approach and thought it would be a nice spin on the usual books.
But...
Published 1 month ago by Lilyfae

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on future history
I like how this book is written - from the perspective of a future history, it's well done and gives it a different twist and makes for an interesting read. It has lots of little bits in from a "personal" perspective - such as the journals of Surak, to maps of worlds and propaganda photos. It's different.

Not going to debate the accuracy of the...
Published 11 months ago by Mike Renshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Playful charming 'historical' account with documents and fun- such fun., 8 Nov 2014
Lilyfae (West Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years (Hardcover edition) (Hardcover)

But actually I found it charming, I can't personally account for the accuracy, other than watching all the films I'm not a fan.
However in spite of that, I really enjoyed reading about the stages and references to the progression of the world that is Star Trek from humble beginnings of First Contact to the first voyages with Captain Archer (I couldn't stop singing 'faith of the heart' during these bits) onto Kirk and the other Captains interspersed with 'historical documents' and analysis of the major plot sagas such as the Romulan conflict etc.
It's playful, with translations of 'ancient' alien documents and 'top secret' stamped over Federation documents.

As someone who groans when she finds her husband watching Star Trek I truly loved this, I can't imagine what my hubby's delight will be when he opens it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great item and service, 16 Jun 2014
Much better price thanhigh street. Great condition and fab gift for husband. Thank u for quick service. Cant review bk as not read it but husband is happy and loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this book, 14 May 2014
My son has just taking an interested in watching Star Trek, and loves this book. It's not an encyclopaedia, more a historical account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Mar 2014
Perfect present for a real trekky ....my son was very impressed with this present ..thank you very much brilliant purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars When do we get the next 150 years?, 21 Dec 2013
Briefly - an awesome read and to be fair I'm not fussed about missing out on a fancy stand. This book is illustrated in an original manner and the content is just superb. Set as though reviewing events from First Contact through Enterprise, the Original Series and the first six and a bit movies it's a brilliant insight into events both seen and unseen over that period. Especially enthralling is the Romulan War record. As a fan this is a must. A BIG must to have in your library. It's the nearest you'll get to any form of companion to Enterprise for one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, 14 April 2014
This is a must for any star trek fan. I bought this for my husbands birthday and he loved it

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on future history, 6 Jan 2014
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Not going to debate the accuracy of the information as others are doing that in their reviews but I enjoyed reading this book - more accurately I dip in and out of it for a quick bit of Trek fun.

I almost bought the more expensive version of this book and glad I didn't - it comes on a special stand with a narration by one of the actors. As I only wanted the book, I'm glad I didn't get the "bells and whistles" version.

It's okay, bit expensive for what it is (the book is good quality though and full colour throughout) and I enjoy flicking through it. Not sure if I'd buy it again or not though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good text, but odd choice of images, 16 Jan 2014
As other reviewers have noted, this is well written, and (largely) sticks to the Star Trek canon. It explains many of the intricacies in Federation history that were explored in Enterprise and in some of the Star Trek movies.

My only gripe about this book was the choice of images. They appear to photos that have been photoshopped to look like watercolours. This is just bizarre, and makes it all look a bit unofficial rather than an authorised book. Similarly, the excerpts from letters looked like they've been knocked up by someone on work experience at a design studio, rather than any effort.

Overall, if you want a nice book to read cover to cover about Federation history, it's a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, easy to read with some good facts ..., 13 Nov 2014
Great book, easy to read with some good facts around the history of the federation a must for fans of the star trek franchise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Oct 2014
Excellent book. Very detailed description of the forming of the federation.

Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years (Hardcover edition)
Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years (Hardcover edition) by David A. Goodman (Hardcover - 11 Oct 2013)